Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 622094 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: What are you playing right now?
Later on, a bit of battlefield 4. Ps4 style.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Dying Light - The Following, who knew running over zombies in a buggy could be so cathartic.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

The cursed vampire that is War Thunder has captured me again. At least low level brittonks is fun enough and brainless

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Finished Wing Commander Prophecy: Secret Ops
The same dull mission design of Wing Commander 3 only with almost no "story moments", and most dialogue is exposition that could have been easily used as comm chatter, and occur only every 8/10 missions, the rest is essentially devoid of any of the personality Wing Commader games (even the Prophecy base game) usually have.
The two new characters, Spyder and Amazon, don't have any dialogue (apart form the usual canned sentences) and Stiletto has no dialogues, the only ones talking in cutscenes other than the protagonist are Maestro and Zero.
I get it that they didn't have the money for cutscenes but at least having some more comm chatter during missions shouldn't have been that much of an expense as Mark Hamill was put on a bus in the main game and the cast had been restricted to the new generation anyway.
The few mission that aren't "search and destroy" or "patrol" (which are the same thing in the end: hit "a", destroy things until you get permission to hit "a" again, rinse and repeat) get really furustrating because of the overly simplified controls, the lack all those hotkeys you use for targeting in Tie Fighter or in Freespace in a game that came a few years after the former is simply unforgivable.
The game is at its best in the simple dogfighting but after countless waves of enemies tends to get extremely repetitive, and without the narrative focus of the base game, it gets old really fast.

In the end the best of the series remains Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom, 3 and 5 are good, Secret Ops sufficient and the first two while playable have aged very badly regarding gameplay.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Nearly to the end of Distorted Travesty 3.

Dark Souls III countdown: 18 hours.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Secret ops was primarily an online release in a transient time between big broadband speeds becoming prominent and games still having awesome boxes.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Secret ops was primarily an online release in a transient time between big broadband speeds becoming prominent and games still having awesome boxes.
A few lines more couldn't have added that much to download size (which was already big for the time as it was I guess), everything is already in-engine so it's mostly mission scripts and voice overs that were added to the game, in general the long-winded exposition could have been given a bit at a time during the many padding missions without having to record that much more.
Or they could have designed more complex missions instead of just throwing enemy ships at you in endless waves, but then again that would have probably meant redesigning the controls and UI as they already struggle with the few missions that try to spice up the usual mission patterns.
Another thing that was a bit annoying was having to type your callsign every time you launched the game, in general Secret Ops felt like everything I don't like about the Wing Commander series and then some with only a few of the redeeming qualities.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
So I tried some metro redux. As much as I like some solid FPS, like the damn Shadow Warrior, Metro doesn't seem to be my thing. I am currently stuck at a nasty 1v8 encounter, which just doesn't go well for me. I think I'll give it a pass.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Okay, I've tried to continue the Balance of Power storyline of X-3: Terran Conflict.

After keeping SETA on for several hours in background to free enough marine to assault the base I thought I could finish the plot but of course then you have a boring and loooog reconaissance mission, I've read you could wait two hours instead of doing a long and boring search pattern but by that time my patience ran out again.

Okay, I've tried to continue the Balance of Power storyline of X-3: Terran Conflict.

After keeping SETA on for several hours in background to free enough marine to assault the base I thought I could finish the plot but of course then you have a boring and loooog reconaissance mission, I've read you could wait two hours instead of doing a long and boring search pattern but by that time my patience ran out again.

Yeah that game really made my patience run into the ground.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
    • Steam
Dark Souls. Finally. I picked me a knight and now I am putting all the souls into endurance so that I can fastroll in full armor. I am good at this game.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Dark Souls. Finally. I picked me a knight and now I am putting all the souls into endurance so that I can fastroll in full armor. I am good at this game.

Been to Blightown yet? - Also, Full Armour please....
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline crizza

My new GPU came with a free key of The Division.
Like it :D

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've reinstalled Wing Commander Saga.
I think I might have developed an addiction to throttling up at mission start.  :nervous:

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
    • Steam
King Arthur is on sale at GoG so I thought I'd give it a try. It is so unbearably unpleasant to play that I found out GoG doesn't refund bad games ;(

EDIT: At first it seemed like a total war kind of game, so I thought it could be cool. I launched some quick scenario and the game immediately told me I had to capture those strategic points to gain advantage[duh..]. Then I charged my cavalry into a stray unit of enemy cavalry, they closed the distance, stopped and started repeating the same attack animation over and over. It took like a minute before anyone died there[which means I had to wait an extended period of time doing nothing waiting for the battle to progress, and as I didn't notice any sort of charge to take effect, I could not even cycle]. At this point I realised I was better off playing more Shogun 2.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 03:33:30 am by Kobrar44 »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Playing GT Racing 2 on a PC. Not the best port since it's never been updated, but my PC screen's bigger than my smartphone screen so... :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

They finally made a Steam release of Sven coop. I can't wait to play through Afraid of Monsters with friends.

Dark Souls III.

Man, I am LOVING playing at the time of release. The online component is more active than I've ever seen. Joined a wolfbro covenant and was getting summoned so often I barely had time to progress the level. And dropping a summon sign to help others with a boss invariably gets you summoned within ten seconds.

The other two Dark Souls I joined in fairly late, so this is a new experience for me.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Working on my next HLPX-COM post.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Skippering my Traders Brig hauling Coal, Iron and Hemp back to Fort Royal to feed the shipyards plus running some commodities for fun and profit.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”