Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 621708 times)

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Re: What are you playing right now?
Finished Impossible Creatures. What a neat little game. Also decided to get Witcher 3 since it is exactly at the price I was willing to pay for the thing at GoG right now. It's ok so far I guess.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I am a giant nerd, and named all of my ship classes for generals and admirals from BattleTech.  I haven't run out of names yet, one hundred and sixty four corvettes (plus other ships) in.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I am a giant nerd, and named all of my ship classes for generals and admirals from BattleTech.  I haven't run out of names yet, one hundred and sixty four corvettes (plus other ships) in.

Tell me you're saving McKenna for a battleship.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
McKenna is going to be both a Battleship class and the first Battleship I build.

At that point I'm probably going to dip into Snow Raven Galaxy Commanders, though, because that's still a couple tech-ups away and I'm building a looooooot of ships.

EDIT: I christened a Cruiser squadron earlier today, made up of the fresh-built UNS Kufahl, DeChevalier, Hazen, and Tseng.  That should probably give you a good idea on how far through my books I am at the moment.

EDIT II: Obviously I'm saving the biggest names for the biggest ships.  Great Houses and iconic names like the Kerenskys and McKennas are getting saved for BBs.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:01:00 am by Scotty »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
More RTW!

Illnois-class semidreadnought. The Illinois is unusually powerful for a semidread, with a massive battery of 10" secondaries (normally I have couple fewer turrets) and a 10" belt suited to an early dreadnought. I had a thousand more tons than normal to play with. You don't always do a semidread stage depending on when 3 Centerline Turrets becomes a thing; the production run of a predreadnought class is rarely long. This one capped out at three ships, with a fourth canceled on the ways to make room for the Lexington-class.

Oakland-class protected cruiser. The Oakland is a specialized raiding design, 2000 tons heavier than my average cruiser with long rather than medium range, 4" secondaries, slightly heavier 6" battery, and more deck extension and belt extension armor to prevent machinery damage from shell fragments better. I don't always build a specialized raider class, but this one is typical of when I do.

Lexington-class battlecruiser. Typical of my early Badnoughts, it's a battlecruiser rather than a BB, as a BB less than 22k tons is probably terrible in some way. I could have made it bigger, up to 21k tons, but I kept the size down to limit costs. Late in the game these ships can serve as CA-replacements with an engine refit for oil-firing and more speed, but in the 1905/1906 era they're actually reasonably powerful line combatants. They're cheap for what they do and can be built in large numbers, giving you an early numerical lead in dreadnought hulls and tonnage. I usually build several "flights" of Lexingtons with different turret arrangements as superfiring turrets become available. The Brits will eventually catch up, but it can make the difference. If you have to take on a battlecruiser from the 1910s or later, do it in a group of three. If you have to take on a BB from later than 1910 though, kiss your ass goodbye.

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
A 144-month naval treaty limiting new ships to 18k tons and 12" guns was abruptly signed in this game.

Fools. I have 12" +1 quality guns and a ready-made template in the Lexingtons. Now it's time for Lexington Flight 5! I will drown you all in my tiny battlecruiser fleets!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:43:27 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

the Doom RogueLike Arsenal mod for ZDoom is pretty crazy once it really gets going D:

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The drowning begins. The two CAs and the battleship blew themselves apart thanks to turret explosions. (The CAs on the first times they were hit, really.) The B and BC were disposed of by beating them into submission. Sucks to be the RN!

A Feddie Story

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
The kids are gone for a few days, so i am finally getting into Wolfenstein: The New Order.  After several false starts over the last year, I finally made it to the opening credits and the 1960s!

I don't understand why an i7 CPU is shown as a minimum requirement.  I'm playing just fine on my Core 2 Duo, with 4 Gb RAM and a GTX 480, running at 1920x1080, with some graphics details turned down. I haven't run FRAPS or anything, but the framerate is definitely playable.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Playing a lot more Destiny than is probably necessary.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

the Doom RogueLike Arsenal mod for ZDoom is pretty crazy once it really gets going D:

Why ZDoom? I thought they stopped working on that ages ago. Why not use something more up to date? Like Zandronium or GZDoom? Then again that mod might not work with it. Although now you've got me intrigued on what this RogueLike Mod is, sounds fun!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:10:09 am by Mammothtank »

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Star Wars: X-wing vs Tie Fighter: Balance of Power (see the TVtropes article on "colon cancer")
I did the assault on the rebel factory Koensayr 42 (they make Y-wings for those that know only the movies).
The rebel side was straightforward enough, just kill the three assault transports (easier said than done) in one of the flimsiest rebel ships while imperial gunboats pelt you with missiles and Bob's your uncle.
The imperial side instead is extremely painful, of the three transports only the first one can board the factory even though it's not specified in the objectives, so even if the mission is technically still open to success (you fail only if all three retreat or get destroyed) you cannot complete the mission as the other two transports just circle around the factory instead of docking with it. This makes playing this mission with the imperials more or less impossible on medium or hard as the first transport gets instakilled by the first wave of rebel fighters as you hyper in far from them while the transports hyper in very near to them.
I had to play it on easy and even then I had to try three or four times before finally completing it, and even then the transports and gunboats destroy the factory even though they aren't supposed to before a certain even happens making reaching a certain bonus objective impossible to reach.
I think I made almost two thirds of the "combat engagements" and this is the first one I meet that has such scripting problems, unless it was somewhat deliberate or I've already forgotten the briefing.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
The Essex of 40 guns is the prettiest of Frigates

The lack of chasers is a hindrance in pursuits but aside from the Trincomalee she is the most heavily armed and best protected of the Fifth Rates.  I'm under crewing for now so crew managment is a must but I'm pretty close to making Post Captain and then I can skipper her at optimal performance.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Why ZDoom? I thought they stopped working on that ages ago. Why not use something more up to date? Like Zandronium or GZDoom? Then again that mod might not work with it. Although now you've got me intrigued on what this RogueLike Mod is, sounds fun!

ZDoom's just the most stable, seems it might not work on Zandronium but I'm not sure (and the mod doc just says to use zdoom).

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37044 if you're interested. Adds quite a few things, including weapon modding and a weird little armor system.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Got fallout 4 far harbour queued up to download.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
    • Steam
I heard sidequests in Witcher 3 affect the main plot. How much do I need to care about that? I do not feel like clearing the entire zone before even touching main quest.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Do quests in the order that you become a high enough recommended level for them.  Some of the side quests you run into as early as the second region have recommended levels in the 30s; you will not be clearing regions before doing the main quest.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I heard sidequests in Witcher 3 affect the main plot. How much do I need to care about that? I do not feel like clearing the entire zone before even touching main quest.

Not all of them do but when a questgiver is also a main story NPC that is a dead give away that your interactions with that character during the sidequest may shape the tone of how the main quests resolve... But in turn solving the main quest might also change the tone of the side quests (and may lead to some unexpected outcomes)

It is not that important to fret about because you are going to see every twist and turn in every playthough anyway
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
    • Steam
More W3

Spoiler:
I freed the forest spirit and baron's wife just died. And then obviously the baron. Well, I just hope the horse's breath doesn't resonate through the atmosphere and then cause a huge storm that kills Ciri half the game later.

I mean, I like that the decisions have impact, and main quest character's death probably matters later, but sometimes it seems like a stretch, just a little.
Unless they go all the way with it and the
Spoiler:
horse actually screws up half the game.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
[comments about Roach in Witcher 3 and the butterfly effect]

"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."