Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 621765 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: What are you playing right now?
It's not exactly like that, remember that the one who says that of the Jedi is not exactly an uninterested party.
Also, light and dark are intrinsic to the force, many forget that the dark is supposed to be highly addictive and tends to mess with the emotional balance of a dark side user making more even more difficult to break the addiction.
It would be perhaps more realistic if the dark was sort of a one-way street and the light was more of a very narrow bridge that's easy to fall off from, which is also why you-know-who wanted to do what they wanted to do as whatever way a force user might choose they are not really free.

They justify the things she says about them with their own actions though. They view themselves as flawless, refusing to admit to their past mistakes in the war, and essentially turn on you after you rescue them because they think they know better than you. I also liked the idea that the Jedi and Sith are both overly reliant on the Force, to the point that it controls them instead of the other way around. The game should have had a "gray side" path, in keeping with the story's themes, but is basically designed for you to be completely light or dark.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
It's not exactly like that, remember that the one who says that of the Jedi is not exactly an uninterested party.
Also, light and dark are intrinsic to the force, many forget that the dark is supposed to be highly addictive and tends to mess with the emotional balance of a dark side user making more even more difficult to break the addiction.
It would be perhaps more realistic if the dark was sort of a one-way street and the light was more of a very narrow bridge that's easy to fall off from, which is also why you-know-who wanted to do what they wanted to do as whatever way a force user might choose they are not really free.

They justify the things she says about them with their own actions though. They view themselves as flawless, refusing to admit to their past mistakes in the war, and essentially turn on you after you rescue them because they think they know better than you. I also liked the idea that the Jedi and Sith are both overly reliant on the Force, to the point that it controls them instead of the other way around. The game should have had a "gray side" path, in keeping with the story's themes, but is basically designed for you to be completely light or dark.
A gray path is impossible because of the addictive nature of the dark side, unless you count as gray the force users who just aren't officially affiliated with the Jedi order.
The implication that force users are controlled by the force was always there, technically speaking everyone in the SW is controleld by the force and the Jedi are the only ones who can sense is and somewhat use that control to their advantage in some way, or force it like the Sith do.
The Jedi may be arrogant and detatched but the Sith are ravenous beasts bent on destruction, no matter how controlled they may seem the dark side is always gnawing at their psyche.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Jedi may be arrogant and detatched but the Sith are ravenous beasts bent on destruction, no matter how controlled they may seem the dark side is always gnawing at their psyche.

In the context of speaking about KOTOR 2, this statement is hilarious (Chris Avellone wrote KOTOR 2 as a giant **** you to the simple light/dark duality from the original trilogy and KOTOR 1). The game is, in fact, a scathing critique of the mindset that believes things to be so rigid.

Interestingly, Lucas himself had one of the Jedi once say "Only the Sith deal in absolutes", which should tell you something.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

In the context of speaking about KOTOR 2, this statement is hilarious (Chris Avellone wrote KOTOR 2 as a giant **** you to the simple light/dark duality from the original trilogy and KOTOR 1). The game is, in fact, a scathing critique of the mindset that believes things to be so rigid.

Interestingly, Lucas himself had one of the Jedi once say "Only the Sith deal in absolutes", which should tell you something.
I knew that, but that doesn't change how the Star Wars universe works in general, and even in the finished game the light side versions of the characters are still more stable than the dark side versions and all the characters that fall or are already part of the dark side are every kind of screwed up, Avellone just took the duality to the extreme consequences rather than contradicting it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:06:54 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Yeah, for all the "scathing critique" it doesn't really hold up. The Jedi are rigid. Darth Nihilus and Darth Scion are monstrosities whose continued existence is a threat to anything that lives. I'm okay with rigid rules for the exceptionally powerful, I'd even say it's important that they have such rules because they are exceptionally powerful. Especially given the apparent alternative is the continual backstabbing and insanity of the majority of Sith.

If you told me that the message of KOTOR 2 was "The Force is a tool. It is an exceptionally powerful tool, and must be regulated carefully." then that would be at least an equally valid interpretation of the textual evidence, regardless of Avellone's original intent. His points about morality are subtle and well-made, but they do not equate to the reality of Force users presented in the game. That shows something markedly different.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Playing Blood and Wine, the expansion for Witcher 3.

It doesn't really do anything new, there are a few new bells and whistles like the new mutation system. But **** it, Witcher 3 is the best RPG I've ever played. I'm happy to have days more of it to play.

More Witcher 3
Spoiler:
Got to Kaer Morhen to fight the Hunt. The instant the battle begun, the quest "Berengars sword: step one: talk to Vesemir" failed. I wonder, why. Surely nothing bad would happen to Vesemir, right?

Spoiler:
In Hearts of Stone there is a character who knows Vesemir and talks about his youth. I actually played through the game a second time to see if I could have a chat with Vesemir about her if I did her quest before The Battle of Kaer Morhen. The answer is yes, yes you can. They actually went to the trouble of adding new dialogue options in case you decided to do that even though there were actually plot based reasons they could use to justify Geralt not having that conversation.

That was the point I realised that not only is Witcher 3 one of the best RPGs I've ever played, but its going to become the standard I use for attention to detail in computer games
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:02:54 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Phantasy Star for Sega Master System on Mega Drive with adapter
After the incident with the corrupted saves a few months ago I did a few tests by erasing the corrupt save slots, clean the contacts again and try to save a few times. It seems the battery isn't the problem, it was probably a bad contact that corrupted the SRAM data. So, as I'm not currently playing anything else on the console, I've decided to not remove the cartridge when turning off the console until I've finished the game.
I've finally completed my party, the only annoying thing is that while my party was more ore less level 14/15 when I was finally able to get to Noah relatively unscathed, Noah was still level 1 (which translates to having an extremely weak mage with only one spell) so I'll have to grind leeches on Motavia for a bit before moving on.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Final fantasy 3
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Playing a lot of
Card Hunter atm which is a tongue in cheek deck builder RPG, Armoured Warfare,  and some Hearthstone
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Final fantasy 3
I played the DS version for some time, adding animations without toning down the grinding wasn't a wise decision on the part of Square-Enix.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
A mix of Overwatch, Naval Action and World of Warships.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Witcher 2 and Fortnite

Gotta do my Witcher 2 Iorveth/Saskia playthrough so i can jump into my official non ****ty ending playthrough of witcher 3
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Final fantasy 3
I played the DS version for some time, adding animations without toning down the grinding wasn't a wise decision on the part of Square-Enix.

Original Snes.  Emulated on my psp but had the original. So eerie on the train playing stuff I remember playing way back when...
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Thanks guys. I followed your advice about Artorias and I kicked his ass. Now I'm up to Manus.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Thanks guys. I followed your advice about Artorias and I kicked his ass. Now I'm up to Manus.

Magnus has a pretty wide moveset (if you count every of his spells as a single move) so you may have to run against him a lot until you have seen all the tells. His magic doesn't do magic damage and bypasses armour but there is an item that lets you block them anyway (Silver Amulet or something)

Did you find the trigger for the summon? (summon is located IN the boss room) - He is not all that helpful IMO (draws too little aggression from Magnus) but in a pinch he can tip the scales.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Yeah. I dont have the Silver Amulet (Is that a ring or something?) and I rescued Sif and got the Magic Blocking shield. Sif does literally no damage to Manus for me and It took a couple of deaths to find his summon sign.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Final fantasy 3

Original Snes.  Emulated on my psp but had the original. So eerie on the train playing stuff I remember playing way back when...

I mean the original Final Fantasy III for NES, the one on the SNES was either IV, V or VI (I don't remember at the moment which one), because the original number III never came to the US until much later on other platforms.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:42:48 am by Det. Bullock »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Yeah. I dont have the Silver Amulet (Is that a ring or something?)

It's a consumable with infinite uses. I had to look it up, but the Silver Pendant is hidden in Oolacile Township behind an illusionary wall - from the first bonfire travel down until you get the major bend before the a round tower (before the small planket bridge with the sorcerer on the otherside) right hand side you should see buildings that are not easily accessible (I don't where the route begins exactly, there might also be a shorter round), one of these buildings is a ruined square tower which does not appear to have any doors.

If you are online the message you need to find might be obscured by all the scribles from the people but there is a message reads "let there be light", if you stand on top of it and use a light spell/miracle a wall will disappear and let you in. There are enemies and a chest inside, the chest has the Silver Pendant.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I wish I put some more points into Intelligence.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Gotta do my Witcher 2 Iorveth/Saskia playthrough so i can jump into my official non ****ty ending playthrough of witcher 3

I'm planning to do the same thing but starting all the way back with Witcher 1.

Gotta finish Blood and Wine first of course.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]