Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 621636 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: What are you playing right now?
Mix of Naval Action and a little WoT.

I had the hankering for some unrated ship action so I built an exceptional teak Baltimore Clipper the Lynx and mounted six 12 pounder carronades.  Being a fore and aft rigged topsail schooner, Lynx flies like the wind on nearly all points of sail and she works exceptionally well at hunting down small merchant ships.  Even with her meager 48 pound broadside a couple salvos of grape is typically enough to clear the decks on light trade vessels, coupled with her exceptional sailing profile you can quickly take a fair number of prizes in a night's gaming.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

War Thunder: You'd think in a game with a good flight model that's based heavily on the flying of airplanes, having a good HOTAS setup would confer some sort of meager advantage over the mouse + keyboard crowd.

You would be dead wrong.

Yes, flying with the stick is more fun, but if you want to win battles, mouse flight is unbelievably better for actually aiming and shooting stuff.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
War Thunder: You'd think in a game with a good flight model that's based heavily on the flying of airplanes, having a good HOTAS setup would confer some sort of meager advantage over the mouse + keyboard crowd.

You would be dead wrong.

Yes, flying with the stick is more fun, but if you want to win battles, mouse flight is unbelievably better for actually aiming and shooting stuff.

I've seen people say the same about Freespace.  They joystick is fun and adds to the immersion, but apparently M+K owns.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

I've seen people say the same about Freespace.  They joystick is fun and adds to the immersion, but apparently, M+K owns.

I have been doing that once I got to play Blue Planet and such mods. M+K does now. I use to play the hell out of FS2 with my sidewinder force feedback stick and with X-Wing/TieFighter/XvT/XWA/StarLancer. Freelancer made me get into the M+K; however, I had dying laser Logitech mouse...before those 'gaming' clickers started to pop up.

Speaking of which, I was playing Ghost in the Shell 1st Assault Beta and was playing For Honor's Tech Beta. Sadly I am going to get For Honor for console...that's a M+K not worth doing.

You would be dead wrong.

I've flown on the simulator battles with mouse only  a few times and it was always a disaster. I fly with joystick and always try to shoot having as much speed as I can. Aiming is not a problem at all as the plane is stable. It's been a while since I played a simulator battle but I remember that Tempest mk.V was my favorite on SB. Fast, agile with devastating firepower.  ;)

As we speak about War Thunder

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:13:29 am by Col.Hornet »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Been Freespaceing dine the original FS1 demo.

Still a pure keyboardist.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I use keyboard only in FS, as did many of the best players in Squadwar days. Even the mouse is less suitable for games with limited turning speeds, unlike FPSs.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
As we speak about War Thunder

Geez, I thought WoWs was a little overzealous with their weathering.  Gaijin just pushed it to eleven, I feel like I need a tetanus shot for all the rust.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

OMG I want to drive all the PT boats!

The Four King's are driving me up the wall! These guy's suck. I hate their tracking attack that I can't seem to escape and their grab and AoE attacks such too. Otherwise I can dodge them just fine.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
The Four King's are driving me up the wall! These guy's suck. I hate their tracking attack that I can't seem to escape and their grab and AoE attacks such too. Otherwise I can dodge them just fine.

If it's their single shot projectile that's basically a big pulsing diamond, it's almost impossible to dodge. Their grab and AOE look really similar. If they spin around ever, just roll away to be safe. The spins are slightly different so if you can tell the difference, the AOE doesn't hit behind them with the same radius as in front of them. Their melee damage is also based on range, the closer you are to them, the less damage you take. Good luck!
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I use keyboard only in FS, as did many of the best players in Squadwar days. Even the mouse is less suitable for games with limited turning speeds, unlike FPSs.

Legion of Apocalypse forever mate.

I'm dabbling with deserts of kharak. My laptop can handle it bloody well.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

The Four Kings are also vurnable to Fire, Lightning and Magic, so if you have Resins or an enhancement spell (even with low int and fth) it can make it easier. Also their attacks are heavily magic-based so increasing your defense in that direction eases the fight.

And as Firesteel pointed out, damage increases with distance.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I had already figured out allot of that. Didn't know if you were behind them I wouldn't get hit.

But now that you mention it I do have some Gold Pine Resin and Max Lightning Katana (forget what it's called(not the Washingpole)). I checked them out on the wiki and I don't think it said they were weak to Lightning so  I didn't use it.

Offline Kszyhu

Elite: Dangerous Arena. Got a match almost immediately, which is highly unusual. I love the flight model. Fun, but it would be better if some guy with 9 k/d ratio stopped seal clubbing.

Edit: Ok, it looks like there is one full match in the deathmatch mode.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 11:31:54 am by Kszyhu »

I just beat the Four King's. Now I gotta go fight Kalameet cause I forgot to fight him. Then perhaps I will fight Precillia and Gywndolion.

Goddamn Kalameet can deal the damage but can't take jack all.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Now I gotta go fight Kalameet cause I forgot to fight him. Then perhaps I will fight Precillia and Gywndolion.

Don't let him TK you and keep your stamina high (for all that emergency dodging).

Also a spoilerific note to the other two bosses you mentioned:
Spoiler:
If you are going for the full canonical experience I recommend not fighting either.

Also, how dare you suggest violence against Priscilla :mad: (Please note that subcribe to the theory that the Painted World of Ariamis is at least percieved as a reflection of the longings of those who come there. Priscilla desired a peaceful place where she would be accepted and that is what she sees. As for the Chosen Undead, does your hollowing really show so little?)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Also, how dare you suggest violence against Priscilla :mad:

If he's going for the Dark Soul achievement he has no choice, unfortunately.  Usually I don't fight her, but I needed those weapons.

Finished X: Beyond the Frontier. Impressions: I imagine it was good for its time, but the ships all kind of look the same, and travel time takes FOREVER, even with a time-accelerator. Combat also seemed way too simplistic, either you're so weak you can't dent an enemy ship or you're so overpowered you're killing entire fleets single-handedly. And why would you ever use missiles other than Hornets?

However, I am aware that that was only the first game in the series and that many of these things have been addressed in later installments.

Skipping over X-Tension since as I understand it's just a slightly upgraded first game sandbox with no plot material, playing X2: The Threat now. Loving what I'm seeing so far. Multiple ships to fly, much more rich and detailed universe, a freaking galaxy map (seriously, why did the first game not have one!?), and travel times greatly reduced! Only problem is I have no idea where to start earning money. Too many options!  :nervous:

Although, the voice acting is kind of flat. Especially when they attempt to pronounce Japanese phrases. :nono:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Although, the voice acting is kind of flat. Especially when they attempt to pronounce Japanese phrases. :nono:
It never gets better.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

'Bout Pricillia. Someone already gave me the puppy eyes to convince me not to kill her. Kalameet was darn easy when I remember to unlockon and run when he flys straight up, Gwyndiddydandy was also pretty easy I only died a few times when I got a bit too overconfident. Two Souls bosses done in one day is a good deal. Now to kill Gywndaddy.

EDIT: PARRYING IS SO GODLIKE, Gywndaddy never stood a chance. GG I beat Dark Souls! (I killed every boss par Pricellia)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 05:11:05 am by Mammothtank »