Author Topic: Woohoo! I have a question again! (Okay... not that happy an event)  (Read 2721 times)

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
    • The Elite, International
Woohoo! I have a question again! (Okay... not that happy an event)
Howdy all... so I seem to be having difficulty with a comms question. The answer to this one seems like it should be ridiculously easy to me, but I haven't been able to find a good answer.

In my missions, I've been scripting messages from the wingmen saying "That's the last of 'em, resuming formation." once the last enemy is destroyed at a navpoint. That works fine except that occasionally - said wingmen is dead and begins speaking from beyond the grave. How do I get messages to NOT play if the sender is rigor-mortis?
What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural wonder, one of a kind...actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamppost. - Captain Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, M*A*S*H

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Woohoo! I have a question again! (Okay... not that happy an event)
and
not
is destroyed delay
wingman
is destroyed delay
cats
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The other option (which is easier) is to change the priority of the message from High to Normal. Only High Priority messages (or those sent by #WingmanName) are sent from beyond the grave.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
What other settings are included in normal priority ? I never used it, because I was afraid that a message will not be played and it screws up the event chain
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Normal really should be the priority you use all the time. It's just that most people stick with high since that's what FRED defaults to.

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
High priority really means high priority if the messages are coming from beyond the grave.

Alright thanks for the help.
What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural wonder, one of a kind...actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamppost. - Captain Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, M*A*S*H

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If you specify that a high priority message should come from a ship called Alpha 2 the game will check if Alpha 2 exists in the mission. If not it will then check what the Command persona is called and send it from that. If on the other hand you sent the message from #Sandman then the message will always come from Sandman regardless of whether or not he's dead.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
who the heck is Sandman?
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Some randomly picked wingman name. :D If you use the #Name thing the game doesn't bother checking to see which ship sent the message.

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
Changing the message priority absolutely fixed the mission. See... in the mission I just completed, you pick up a distress signal at Nav 2 from a civilian frigate (in fact a local militia). If your wingman is dead, the TCS Hopewell (your carrier) dispatches two Arrow light fighters to assist you at Nav 3 (the location of the frigate). If your wingman is still alive, you don't get the reinforcements but he does gripe about not getting overtime. :-P

Anyway... those details are unimportant. What's important is that I no longer have a paranormal event in my mission.