FreeSpace Releases > Asset Releases

RELEASE: Railgun Bombers

<< < (4/5) > >>

Galemp:
No footage but there is a demo mission in the tech room, just a simple cruiser duel. Here's P3Ds of the Vasudan bombers.

Goober5000:
Finally got around to playing this.  Nice work!  Made me feel like I was flying an A-10. :)

I really liked the type 1 and type 2 railguns, but the type 3 seemed wrong.  Probably because I was expecting a rumbling DAKKA and instead got a pew pew pew.  Also the shudder effect managed to land in the uncanny valley for some reason.

Do you have numbers on damage-per-second and damage capacity per bank?  I'd like to compare these to the existing bombs and missiles.

Nightmare:
Just one note- the Vasudan testing mission that comes along with the knossos package is still for multiplayer.

Galemp:

--- Quote from: Nightmare on September 26, 2019, 08:32:01 pm ---Just one note- the Vasudan testing mission that comes along with the knossos package is still for multiplayer.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I meant to convert that to SP along the lines of the Terran mission but got worn out and decided not to bother, that the Terran version was good enough. :doubt:

--- Quote from: Goober5000 on September 26, 2019, 11:34:57 am ---I really liked the type 1 and type 2 railguns, but the type 3 seemed wrong.  Probably because I was expecting a rumbling DAKKA and instead got a pew pew pew.  Also the shudder effect managed to land in the uncanny valley for some reason.
--- End quote ---

New SFX would be very welcome.

--- Quote ---Do you have numbers on damage-per-second and damage capacity per bank?  I'd like to compare these to the existing bombs and missiles.

--- End quote ---

This has been gone over in the SA internal thread but here's my notes as of 2/25. I can't guarantee these are the stats in the version on Knossos.

--- Code: ---; ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Railguns
;
; Type 1 Railgun is statistically identical to five classic Maxim gunpoints, but has the Huge flag and can kill capital ships.
; Type 2 Railgun is supposed to deal as much damage as a Cyclops in the amount of time it takes to attain aspect lock and fire the weapon, i.e. the amount of time you need to fly in a straight line toward your target.
; Type 3 Railgun is like Type 2 but with Helios levels of damage.
$Name: T1 Sickle
+Title: GTR-1 Sickle
+Description: ;Same stats as 5xMaxim but is Huge and can kill capships
Armor Piercing
Moderate Hull Damage
High Subsystem Damage
$end_multi_text
+Tech Title: GTR-1 Sickle
+Tech Anim: Tech_GTM_MX-6_Tempest
+Tech Description:
The original Maxim gun proved highly popular by pilots and tacticians for its incredible range, pinpoint accuracy, and extreme damage. The caliber of the weapon proved too much for fighters to handle, with weapon recoil shaking the smaller craft to pieces and causing severe maintenance issues. Unwilling to strip down and rebuild entire wings of fighters after every mission, an entirely new weapons system was commissioned around the concept of sustained high-velocity long-ranged cannon fire. Codenamed Sickle, Type 1 railgun shells are designed with the same ultra-dense depleted uranium armor-piercing capability, and are highly effective against insulated subsystems. These shells can only be fired from dedicated bombers developed specifically for the railgun technology.
$end_multi_text
$Tech model: gun-rail1-tech.pof
$Model File: mis-rail1.pof
$External Model File: gun-rail1.pof
$Submodel Rotation Speed: 5.0
$Submodel Rotation Acceleration: 6
$Mass: 0.08 ;Maxim 0.08
$Velocity: 1800.0 ;Maxim 1800
$Fire Wait: 0.2 ;Maxim 0.15
$Damage: 70 ;Maxim 20
$Blast Force: 0.0
$Inner Radius: 0.0  ;Armor piercing, so impact only
$Outer Radius: 0.0 
$Shockwave Speed: 0 
$Armor Factor: 1.0 ;Maxim 0.8, so 16 ea. or 106.7 dps
$Shield Factor: 0.15 ;Maxim 0.2 equal to 26.675
$Subsystem Factor: 0.85 ;Maxim 1.0 at 133.3 dps, this weapon 160 DPS, better than Maxim or Trebuchet (140)
$Lifetime: 1.5 ;Maxim 1.5
$Energy Consumed: 0.0
$Cargo Size: 0.3
$Homing: NO
$LaunchSnd: 81
$ImpactSnd: 85
$FlyBySnd: -1
$Rearm Rate: 15
$Flags: ("shudder" "player allowed" "huge" "external model launcher")
$Trail:
+Start Width: 0.1
+End Width: 0.2
+Start Alpha: 1.0
+End Alpha: 0.0
+Max Life: 0.3 
+Bitmap: trail_white
$Icon: icon_rail1
; $Anim: gun-rail1-tech
$Impact Explosion: ExpMissileHit1
$Impact Explosion Radius: 2.0

$Name: T2 Scimitar
+Title: GTR-2 Scimitar
+Description: ;Has a blast which deals double damage, fires a bit slower
Explosive Shells
High Hull Damage
Moderate Subsystem Damage
$end_multi_text
+Tech Title: GTM MX-6 Tempest
+Tech Description:
Type 2 railgun shells, codenamed Scimitar, are packed with conventional explosives to shatter warship hulls of any type. Simulations predict the average Scimitar strafing run to be almost twice as effective as the Maxim gun against armor, with sustained fire dealing equivalent damage-over-time as the Cyclops torpedo. Unlike conventional bombs, dumbfired railgun shells are immune to electromagnetic countermeasures and interception. Armor-piercing Type 1 shells excel at subsystem disruption, but are outclassed by explosive Type 2 shells in raw power.
$end_multi_text
$Tech model: gun-rail2-tech.pof
$Model File: mis-rail2.pof
$External Model File: gun-rail2.pof
$Mass: 0.1 ;Maxim 0.08
$Velocity: 1800.0 ;Maxim 1800
$Fire Wait: 0.25 ;Maxim 0.15, so damage 1.33x maxim
$Damage: 50 ;Maxim 20, w/blast effectively 40
$Blast Force: 0.0
$Inner Radius: 8.0 
$Outer Radius: 10.0 
$Shockwave Speed: 0 
$Armor Factor: 1.0 ;Maxim 106.7 DPS, this gun 200 DPS (inc. blast) equal to Cyclops 2000 damage w/ firewait of 20
$Shield Factor: 0.15 ;30 DPS inc. blast, slightly more than Maxim
$Subsystem Factor: 0.5 ;Maxim 133.3 DPS, this gun 100 DPS (inc. blast)
$Lifetime: 1.5 ;Maxim 1.5
$Cargo Size: 0.375
$ImpactSnd: 85
$Rearm Rate: 12
$Trail:
+Bitmap: trail_yellow
$Icon: icon_rail2
; $Anim: gun-rail2-tech
$Impact Explosion Radius: 10.0

$Name: T3 Scythe
+Title: GTR-3 Scythe
+Description:
Antimatter Shells
High Hull Damage
High Subsystem Damage
$end_multi_text
+Tech Title: GTR-3 Scythe
+Tech Description:
The experimental Type 3 railgun shell, codenamed Scythe, is a microscopic pellet of antimatter suspended in a magnetic containment field. The cataclysmic annihilation of matter and antimatter makes the shells equally devastating against hulls and subsystems, but tends to wash over shields.
$end_multi_text
$Tech model: gun-rail3-tech.pof
$Selection Effect: FS1
$Model File: mis-rail3.pof
$External Model File: gun-rail3.pof
$Mass: 0.16 ;Maxim 0.08
$Velocity: 1500.0 ;Maxim 1800
$Fire Wait: 0.3 ;Maxim 0.15, this weapon 4.0 s/s
$Damage: 60 ;Helios deals 226.67 hull DPS not including blast.
$Blast Force: 0.2
$Inner Radius: 10.0 
$Outer Radius: 20.0 
$Shockwave Speed: 100 
$Armor Factor: 1.0 ;225 DPS just under Helios 226.67
$Shield Factor: 0.02 ;25 DPS w/blast, slightly less than Maxim
$Subsystem Factor: 0.75 ;191.25 DPS just under Helios 192.67
$Lifetime: 1.25 ;Range of 1875, Helios is 1950
$Cargo Size: 0.45
$ImpactSnd: 88
$Rearm Rate: 10
$Trail:
+Bitmap: trail_teal
$Icon: icon_rail3
; $Anim: gun-rail3-tech
$Impact Explosion Radius: 3.0

--- End code ---

General Battuta:
For your damage equivalence calc, did you remember that all bombs do double their tabled damage due to shockwaves? I see the larger railguns do have shockwaves too (...right? that's how splash damage but 0 defined shockwave speed works? maybe?) so maybe you balanced it that way on purpose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version