Author Topic: RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge *Updated Jan 18th 2014! MediaVP 2014 support!*  (Read 132772 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge
Easy fix for that difficulty is
Spoiler:
stop shooting. :P  They tend to ignore you if you leave them well enough alone.

Offline Axem

Keep in mind though

Spoiler:
Proximity (being around 2km) to the Vassago kills your stealth. But you could steer clear of it and rush in to TAG it at the last second

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Now, the only mission I really have to complain about was

Spoiler:
"Con Fuoco". The intensity is perfect, get a rhythm going with your TAGging, herd the Shivan fighters towards the Hyksos, et cetera, glorious.

Once the Vassago shows up, however, everything consistently goes to Hell for me. My wingmen invariably end up dead, and I am charged with holding off about a dozen smart, zippy, and powerful Shivan fighters while waiting for a chance to TAG the Vassago. Ugh. It doesn't ruin the mission, but it's rather mean to put such a wicked challenge at the end of a mission like that.

Awww, but what do I know? Play this! If you haven't already!

My advice is, play the mission like a stealth fighter. Don't hold anything off - just run! Hide!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Seriously.  I dodged like a mofo during that part of the mission. :p

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I just ran rings around the Vassago's hull...
If its between you and the fighters, they aren't hitting you.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
There are a couple of perfect spots to hide on a Ravana. Especially for a ship as thin as a Pegsus.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
There are a couple of perfect spots to hide on a Ravana. Especially for a ship as thin as a Pegsus.
Yeah, figured that out before too long. Did make things a lot simpler.

@Battua:
Spoiler:
So that's what they meant by "proximity".
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Seriously.  I dodged like a mofo during that part of the mission. :p
Yes, this. And running through the Vassago's bits like the other guys said.
Spoiler:
I had a hard time (really hard) tagging the Tannin and the next corvette that jump in; if you're not right there with a ready mjolnir and a perfect tag, it's impossible. That's why I replayed that mission so many times.
So, thanks to the new VPs, I had the privelege of replaying this in all of it's intended glory, and I got the good ending!
Spoiler:
And I finally get it! The interview takes place well before the destruction of Capella, but you were shown a vision of it ahead of time! Plus the Saths around a planet (was it really Earth?) thing which was odd. And that final cutscene with all the VPs almost made me cry with the beauty of the Liliths, beams, explosions, Hatshepsut, etc.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
For me, it will be short :
With campaigns like VD and WIH, FreeSpace really reach a new summum.
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Well, I played through the Campaign too. Here's my Review...

The campaign itself is very good, also, the Maker really knows about how to make Missions interesting and how things can be put together.
One or maybe two Missions were a little...confusing...At least the first time. Someone new to the campaign should definitely play it more then one time through...Otherwise, you might get a little unsure about everything. But that isn't really negative, you know. Making a Player focus on one campaign is quite a talent.

The story itself was good, allthough I admit, firstly, when I read the description in this Thread, I thought, it'd be more a boring and more of a standard Campaign. But it wasn't. It wasn't at all.

Everybody, who's tired of Transcend or Sync and want something new to play should check this out.

P.S.: The Music was wonderful, as I think. :)
Corpus Delicti, near Release!
I'm Sorry for my quite bad English, I'm German.

Offline Axem

Glad you liked it. :) I tried to make each mission unique in its own right, hopefully making each one stand out a bit.

Scourge of Ages, just a small hint.
Spoiler:
You don't need to kill every capital ship in that mission. I usually leave one of the Rak's alone and wait for the Tannin and Allocer to come in and TAG those. The Carthage and its fighters will engage anything that jumps out near them, so a Rak is best choice to let go. But if you're aiming for perfection, good luck with that. ;)

Offline Madcat

Spoiler:
I almost always managed to get them all.  :cool:
The only time I didn't achieve that was when I tagged them all in order of arrival.

Hint: Tag the Allocer before the Tannin.

I love this campaign and am currently on my 5th playthrough, finally with the 3.6.12 mediavps... BEAUTIFUL!!!  :nod:

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Hmm, in M3, the Orpheus seem to get a face full of beam from the lillith (or more a near miss that still deals a lot of damage) which caused a mission failure even though it *should* have been a success at that point.

And curse my slow brain. "Hey, this cargo depot wasn't here before in M4... ah well now it actually makes a bit more sense" enter M5 "Aw ****, of course that cargo depot is here now, there be Spoon's to find!" so yeah, I already missed one. :(
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I didn't hear very many Arpeggios in Arpeggio. :p

EDIT:

This... was quite a cool game.

I mean wow.

Just out of curiosity, what inspired you to make this kind of mod? What inspired you to tell it in the way that you did, with the flashbacks and all?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:35:59 pm by thesizzler »

Offline Axem

Spoon: I think the beam miss point is too close to the Orpheus if you're not quick enough. I think moving it should be good enough.

thesizzler: Yes, the arpeggios were actually in the mission before... however
Spoiler:
jumping from one place to another in quick succession
is almost like an arpeggio...

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
This looks like a good Campagin judging by those Screenshots I saw  :drevil: :lol:
I will try it and give you a rating on a scale 1-Pwnage after I play BP
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline utops

• rip: microprose,black isle, troika.
Axem,very impressive work. I was cursing this campaing thru third mission,but i finally beat it. Missions are dynamic,sometimes overwhelming but this is a nice chalenge fo` the skillz
PS. Why don`t you put some trashtalk/goldtalk in recommendation debrefing lines? I like to check it for eastereggs,bashing or comendations and there is none. This not a crucial thing to me, more inhabit.

Thx.
What if ?

Yess, finally got to finish this :)
This campaign is awesome, kudos to you, Axem. A very original way of telling the story, creative use of music (who would have thought that that kind of music would actually work in FS?), and every single mission is a masterpiece of advanced FREDding. I really enjoyed nearly every single bit.

Minor gripe:
Spoiler:
Where you upload the virus to the station, I was pressing the spacebar and nothing happened at first - I guess I wasn't close enough. An indication of how close you need to be for uploading it would be handy. Also, it is slightly confusing to be told to use spacebar while in the briefing, they told us to keep our weapons quiet.

But overall a true masterpiece, and easily on par with the best that's been released so far!

Offline Madcat

Minor gripe:
Spoiler:
Where you upload the virus to the station, I was pressing the spacebar and nothing happened at first - I guess I wasn't close enough. An indication of how close you need to be for uploading it would be handy. Also, it is slightly confusing to be told to use spacebar while in the briefing, they told us to keep our weapons quiet.

Spoiler:
I had that problem too, the first two times or so... and I think it was because I approached the panel from the side, and not from above. Beacuse later on, when approaching from above, it always worked instantly.

Offline Axem

Re: Station Container
Yeah, that container can be wonky sometimes. I could never figure out why, I think its the facing sexp. (That's it Axem, blame the game for your failings...)

I suppose spacebar could be a bit confusing considering earlier orders, but I wanted a universal key that would be easy to hit. If you do try firing before then, you do get a message saying master arm locked. If only I could have chosen the enter key. :(

Re: Recommendations
Maybe I'll add some recommendation text in some future patch. It is something that is missing that every other campaign has. But I never read them, so they never came to mind. :p

Re: thesizzler
Well um... the last few episodes of BSG gave me the idea to have a campaign to try to mix a story with music. The music was going to play an ingame role, but it progressed to the more meta role it is now.

And the campaign was going to end with
Spoiler:
the SOC debriefing team asking about your adventure there, so I thought, hey why don't I just make the whole campaign like that?