Author Topic: RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge *Updated Jan 18th 2014! MediaVP 2014 support!*  (Read 132777 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge
3 (4)/ 7 Spoon's found
I'm a disgrace :(
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
3 (4)/ 7 Spoon's found
I'm a disgrace :(

How will you find the answers if you cannot find yourself?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Just finished it... **** that was awesome!

Definitely has a film noir vibe to it, the kind where some shady figure is being interrogated in a dark, smoke-laden room with a grumpy cop telling him "Now tell us exactly what happened, best start at the beginning.", and from there the plot thickens.

As others have already stated, with voice acting this already excellent campaign could reach new levels of atmospheric story telling.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Madcat

I'm at 5 / 7 spoons.
It's amazing how much this adds to the replay value of the campaign.  :)

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Finished a few days back, and I gotta say that with some good voice acting this would probably be my favorite campaign.  There's great variety in gameplay activities, it's short enough to make me actually want to replay it, and the story is presented in a way that gives you just enough so that there's these really compelling gaps in your information but you don't ever feel like you're being short-changed by the narrative.  The music is also so much stronger and more well integrated into the missions than what you expect from a video game--you've really achieved a through-composed feel in a medium that is dominated by repeat signs.

That said, I found it to be maddeningly difficult on medium (where I play all campaigns through the first time).  I'm totally fine with eating it 1 or 2 times as I try to pass a mission, but with some of these it was more like 5 or 6, with a few of those deaths happening before I've even figured out what I'm supposed to be doing or why I'm failing.  Voice acting would really help with this, and roles like the interrogator would provide some great opportunities for an actor to have a lot of fun here.  Anyway, congratulations, it's awesome! :yes:

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
I'm late to the party. Downloading with high hopes.
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Saaaaay, Axem. I noticed the SD Vassago made an appearance in BP:AoA.
Spoiler:
Was that intentional or coincidental? Was it the same (alternate) Vassago? That is, are VD and BP in the same continuity?
That's in addition to the other things I remarked on a few minutes ago in the WiH discussion thread.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Saaaaay, Axem. I noticed the SD Vassago made an appearance in BP:AoA.
Spoiler:
Was that intentional or coincidental? Was it the same (alternate) Vassago? That is, are VD and BP in the same continuity?
That's in addition to the other things I remarked on a few minutes ago in the WiH discussion thread.

BP:AoA came out way before Vassago's Dirge.
Presumably, this is a case of two mods picking the same name.

Besides...
Spoiler:
The Vassago in Vassago's Dirge does a whole lot more cool stuff than the Vassago in BP:AoA where it just sits there and gets killed.

Also, I recall Axem saying he didn't know of any others when he picked the name.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Axem

Well it is a coincidence at its root. There is a reason I chose the name Vassago which you can see by looking up the origin on Wikipedia. I got lucky by having them both be Ravanas. :p

Its entirely possible that this Vassago and the AoA Vassago could be the same ship (I like to think they are anyway), but I don't think you can call it the same continuity. They can co-exist but neither campaign draws directly on the other (not counting any shout outs between campaigns).

Droid: Actually several people said "Isn't there already an SD Vassago?" when I first started talking about the campaign. And I went, whatever. It's my campaign, I can do what I want!

Roger that.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Its entirely possible that this Vassago and the AoA Vassago could be the same ship (I like to think they are anyway), but I don't think you can call it the same continuity. They can co-exist but neither campaign draws directly on the other (not counting any shout outs between campaigns).

And for those of you who thought the AoA Vassago was lame, that was one in a parallel universe where the Shivans hadn't had quite so much exposure to beam-armed Terran ships.

Offline Axem

To be fair, the AoA Vassago did plenty of awesome things... off screen. It was all ready for its GTVA debut but got pre-empted by the Vishnans.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I was just replaying ASW Act 1 and did a nice double-take at the Vassago-class destroyer in there. :p

Mah boi, this was amazing!

You should be proud, it's a really amazing thing to play.

And yes the *ahem*, "special fighter" mission was beyond top notch. I've been waiting to kick ass like that since a certain awesome cutscene from FS1.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
This was intense! I've played it through twice, and I'm not sure if I've gotten the right ending yet. I played mission 8 about 8 times to try and find alternate endings
Question for those who have finished it:
Spoiler:
Does anything change if you manage to kill Beta 2? I never have enough time before it cuts to the next thing. I've gotten three endings: One where you get killed by Beta 1 and it cuts to Cagliari exploding, another where I kill Beta 1 and get killed by the supernova, and another where I jump out before the supernova and it also cuts to Cagliari exploding. Have I missed anything?
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
This was intense! I've played it through twice, and I'm not sure if I've gotten the right ending yet. I played mission 8 about 8 times to try and find alternate endings
Spoiler:
Does anything change if you manage to kill Beta 2? I never have enough time before it cuts to the next thing. I've gotten three endings: One where you get killed by Beta 1 and it cuts to Cagliari exploding, another where I kill Beta 1 and get killed by the supernova, and another where I jump out before the supernova and it also cuts to Cagliari exploding. Have I missed anything?

Spoiler:
Find the green blip (Iceni) during the nebula mission, don't kill anything, and then stay behind to witness the supernova in all it's glory
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Find the green blip (Iceni) during the nebula mission, don't kill anything, and then stay behind to witness the supernova in all it's glory

I shall attend to that at once.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Nooo, VD lost its highlight  :(
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Snail

• SC 5
My fault.

Offline Raiden

• Vassago's Dirge fanboy
    • Ministry of Truth
I'm still playing this damn mod, I can't get enough. Each mission really stands by itself, if I have half an hour before I need to leave the house I'll usually pick a random mission and play through it.

Spoiler:
That mission where the Vassago dies is so epic, it never gets old. I almost felt sad when it went up, I respected that hunk o' junk.
/logic/reason/faith/tradition/knowledge/rhythm/space/religion/
Currently Playing: Dead Space 3
Eagerly Awaiting: Titanfall
I write for god is in the tv. I blog at Ministry of Truth.