Author Topic: RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge *Updated Jan 18th 2014! MediaVP 2014 support!*  (Read 132772 times)

Offline Axem

Re: RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge *Updated July 26th! CBAnis now available!*
Hey, stop being so cheery! This is supposed to be a dark campaign! DARK!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
BURN, BABY, BURN!
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Vassago Inferno!
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
this thread just can't stop! :lol:
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Ill have to try just another day, already played the other campaigns though.  (damn transcend is awesome)

Also yeah I don't mind "non dark" I still replay "Freespace 3" as well as the valentines edition.

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
as well as the valentines edition

I could never get that one to work for me

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You're not missing much :p
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Well the BP jokes were pretty epic at least.   :cool:

as well as the valentines edition
I could never get that one to work for me

You need the latest blue planet builds as well as a 3.6.14 build to make it work iirc.  Might be the issue.

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
I just re-played this campaign. Uncredible that it's already been three years since the initial release. Where the heck is all that time going?! :eek2:

Anyways, I really like this. A fine piece of art. The music fits in organically, like composed for the campaign. Overall fredding is excellent and flawless, though imho the difficulty level is a little too tough, at least in the mission with the GTA Argus.

The story was also great, I guess. Unfortunately, I didn't understand it at all. WTF WAS HAPPENING THERE?!?!?! Can someone please explain it to me dumbass? :D

Offline Axem

Nice to know it still holds up. :) Maybe one day I'll get my act together and get it voice acted. That's about the only thing missing from it still.

Re: The story
Spoiler:
Its all a metaphor for taxes

:warp:

Offline Luis Dias

... and death. Obviously.

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Any plans to update this for the 2014 MediaVPs?

If not - is it possible to hack it together and make it work? Or can I concurrently install 3612 and not screw up the game?
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
As long as you have the 2014 MVPs and the 3.6.12s in separate folders with appropriate names, they're just like any other two mods, and they'll make for happy neighbors.

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
As long as you have the 2014 MVPs and the 3.6.12s in separate folders with appropriate names, they're just like any other two mods, and they'll make for happy neighbors.

Awesome, thanks.
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Just make sure that the 3.6.12 are called mediavps_3612 and the 2014s retain their default name as well. Altering these can screw up any number of mods.

Offline Axem

It may be possible to play, but the Arcadia segments need some tweaking. The maintenance port that you need to fly to in Mission 7 is now deep inside a platform (it may be possible to still achieve the objective, I haven't tried). And I need to alter waypoints in the final cutscene so ships don't fly into the Arcadia other new greebles...

Ideally I'd like to wait until Mjn make super awesome modified textures for the mission before I release an updated version... But I'll see about making a quick update in the interim...

Offline Axem

Re: RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge *Updated Jan 18th 2014! MediaVP 2014 support!*
Thanks to Mjn, I have maps that suit the under construction Arcadia missions!

As well other things have been updated:

Custom Hud Gauges for signal detection (M3), radar lock notification (M7), and Mjolnir status (M7)
Akheton now works on the moorings in M3
Dream-type missions are now slightly desaturated
Tons of other tiny insignificant fixes that nonetheless bugged me

Because there are more updated files than usual, there is no smaller vp file you can use to update the mod. A full download is required. Though the CBani vp is unchanged, so you can skip that if you already have it.

Please delete your old Vassago's Dirge folder before installing the new one.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Re: RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge
One of the most compelling, atmospheric, artistic mods the community has seen, delivered by an auteur and a peerless FREDder. Like the titular dirge, it is both beautiful and funereal - a desaturated journey into the most compelling and unearthly parts of the FreeSpace universe.

There are moments in this campaign that will shock, and others - more disturbing yet - that will chill you with their unsettling, eerie familiarity.

And there are ridiculously, ridiculously cool moments, masterstrokes of honed FREDcraft. Perfect, invisible control in some missions; in others feats of modding I didn't believe feasible.

Also, the use of music is just something else.

Play it.

quotin this so you're down

So, after a several year long hiatus of all things FS2, I have gone and played this.

And it was bloody awesome, even though I did take very long and missed entirely that it had been updated to fit with the MVP2014s, so my nitpicks about a certain mission will probably have been outdated (moorings are hard to find for some reason). Awesome fredding troughout. Extremely great fun. The TAGging mission was rather brutal in a way, and very very tense too. Loved it.
Absolutetly loved it.

Apologies for the noob post as I'm almost certain I'm posting in the wrong forum, but this relates to VD and the newer FS2_open releases. IS THERE a release for 2014 that features text-to-speech yet? I can't follow the action that well since I'm looking at the top-left and trying to read all that fast enough as well as keep on the action is a bit much for me. I get the 'Speech is not compiled in this build in code.lib' warning dialog for all my 2014 FSO.exe files, so am I resigned to playing while ignoring the dialogue or waiting for it to be voice-acted?
A story like the previous one never existed...