Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I never really got into civilisations. I think a mate of mine may have played it on and off. Is Civ the game where there's borders and you could mine oil and associated shizz?

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
yer, its an empire sim though I don't think borders were introduced until Civ III or call to power, they are good games but definatly of a limited taste
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Is Civ the game where there's borders and you could mine oil and associated shizz?

Civ put 4X on the map, and you're expelled for gamer heresy. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
All over it :D Course, I still have 3 more days to wait. :(
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline newman

Civ put 4X on the map, and you're expelled for gamer heresy. :P

That. Civ isn't just another game. It's the 4x game and the only one I can think of that has been around since the early DOS days. Saying "oh is that the game with borders and mining and ****" is a bit like saying "Pink Floyd.. sounds familiar.. it's a band, right?"
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Right, I'll admit to a gaming fail.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Im getting it, but i have to finish dragon age awakenings and all the dlc before i play it
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

I'm sure that I'll be getting it eventually, but not soon most likely.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I wish I was a fan of turn-based strategy games like this so I could nom it up. :(

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
now that is something i miss, a well balanced varied turn based strategy but with a good plot and modern graphics

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
now that is something i miss, a well balanced varied turn based strategy but with a good plot and modern graphics

Civ V? Meets all those criteria, if you make your own good plot!

Civ's one of the few 4X games i can tolerate, since at least by four, a lot of the options can be automated. Yes, I obsessively micromanage things when i only have like three towns, but once I have 40... I want to stick to mainly macro-concerns. This is a model I can't find many 4X games that follow :(

Essentially I like games that let you first start out by obsessively tweaking your homeworld/city, but let you delegate more and more as things go on so you can take play in the bigger game. It seems like a lot of games either have the OMG depth but no way to manage it, or avoid the problem by having very simple management controls.

But yes. I will be watching this thread to see how you guys like Civ V. I am interested. I am also poor :P
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:01:42 pm by DarkBasilisk »

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

sorry i meant without the civilization management.  A bit of base building  and reinforcements would be ok

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

sorry i meant without the civilization management.  A bit of base building  and reinforcements would be ok
Ever try Sword of the Stars + expansions?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

sorry i meant without the civilization management.  A bit of base building  and reinforcements would be ok
Ever try Sword of the Stars + expansions?

got SotS not got the expansion but that's a watered down 4x and the actual combat strategy is real time

Offline Shade

If you can live without the modern graphics, try M.A.X. - That's pretty much the best combat-oriented TBS I can think of without civilization management. Just don't touch the sequel, which was a bug-ridden piece of crap.

Also, yes, getting Civ V :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Started playing it when I woke up today and I'm definitely liking the game so far.