Author Topic: Civ V  (Read 15834 times)

now that is something i miss, a well balanced varied turn based strategy but with a good plot and modern graphics

Civ V? Meets all those criteria, if you make your own good plot!

sorry i meant without the civilization management.  A bit of base building  and reinforcements would be ok
Ever try Sword of the Stars + expansions?

got SotS not got the expansion but that's a watered down 4x and the actual combat strategy is real time
Watered down?  I prefer to think of it as distilled to perfection.  The first two expansions add even more perfection, and the newest one adds more ship sections, including single-section designs like the Propaganda cruisers and the Zuul Devourer mobile factory.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
now that is something i miss, a well balanced varied turn based strategy but with a good plot and modern graphics

Civ V? Meets all those criteria, if you make your own good plot!

sorry i meant without the civilization management.  A bit of base building  and reinforcements would be ok
Ever try Sword of the Stars + expansions?

got SotS not got the expansion but that's a watered down 4x and the actual combat strategy is real time
Watered down?  I prefer to think of it as distilled to perfection.  The first two expansions add even more perfection, and the newest one adds more ship sections, including single-section designs like the Propaganda cruisers and the Zuul Devourer mobile factory.

dont get me wrong its a good game and I love the fact that it includes a unit builder, but I think in terms of 4x with unit designers I would place Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire and Master of Orion 2 above SotS both in terms of their civilisation management and how the unit builders operate though having said that i like the "realism" of fixed firing points in SotS which MOO2 forgets.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mxlm

The combat AI isn't as unspeakably awful as Creative Assembly's, but it's pretty poor.

Which isn't new, exactly, but what is new is this tactical wargame stuff, which makes poor AI a more serious problem.

A word of advice: do not annex new cities more than one or two at a time. The happiness hit will paralyze your empire for scores of turns. Instead, install puppets and then gradually absorb your new acquisitions.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

There's a lot more depth to it then apparent at the first glance. Also, get the expansion. Thay add A LOT. ;)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I have played the basic game for years now, the diplomacy is quite basic the usual NAP, Aliance swap money, swap research points , there is no colony management aside from balancing production/infrastructure/income sliders.  the setup is geared towards a more fluid multiplay but it don't have the level of detail I like for single player which is what I do most of the time.

Good points for me of SotS
Ship designer
unique travel methods for each race
"realism" of fixed firing points as opposed to the omnipoint firing of the likes of MOO2
Semi-random tech tree for each player
Quick to setup a game
Fast flowing

Bad points for me of SotS
Basic Diplomacy, it lacks the ability to establish trade, swap research and you can only do one thing at a time
Basic Colony management, no building aside from ships
Only space combat is considered nothing about ground combat so the only way to conquer is to wipe out the population of the target planet
No species Customisation, MOO2 was awesome in this respect with a huge number of stats and abilities to fine tune.

I'm not saying SotS is a bad game, in fact is has many things in its favour, what I'm saying is that It lacs the depth on the civilisation management side for me to fully enjoy it for more than a few days at a time, as a multi play it is probably a blast and i imagine a lot faster pace than is the norm for 4x games.  What extras does the expansion add?
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

I grew up playing Need For Speed, Civilization, and Freespace. So I'm really frikking excited.

That said, I'm gonna ask for it for Christmas before I drop $50 bucks on it.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

I have played the basic game for years now, the diplomacy is quite basic the usual NAP, Aliance swap money, swap research points , there is no colony management aside from balancing production/infrastructure/income sliders.  the setup is geared towards a more fluid multiplay but it don't have the level of detail I like for single player which is what I do most of the time.

Bad points for me of SotS
Basic Diplomacy, it lacks the ability to establish trade, swap research and you can only do one thing at a time
Basic Colony management, no building aside from ships
Only space combat is considered nothing about ground combat so the only way to conquer is to wipe out the population of the target planet
No species Customisation, MOO2 was awesome in this respect with a huge number of stats and abilities to fine tune.

I'm not saying SotS is a bad game, in fact is has many things in its favour, what I'm saying is that It lacs the depth on the civilisation management side for me to fully enjoy it for more than a few days at a time, as a multi play it is probably a blast and i imagine a lot faster pace than is the norm for 4x games.  What extras does the expansion add?
There are two expansions, and one ship pack.  The first one adds a new race, more diplomacy, interstellar trade, and slaving, but only for that new race,, mining ships, and of course new and cooler weapons.  The second one adds diplomacy, complete with a xenotech research branch with a tree for each race, civilians, another new race, inter-empire trade, the ability to demand planetary and empire surrenders, space stations, and of course more and cooler weapons.

Chances are you wouldn't like Argos Naval Yards as that is only a ship and weapon pack that only adds new ways to send your foes to meet their maker.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
fair enough, looks like i will be keeping my eyes open for them then

Mind if I ask how  it's running?  Civ IV had a pretty unassuming engine that didn't require too much computing power, but the trailers for V make me a little nervous.  I know it's turn-based, so a consistent framerate isn't a deal-breaker.  Still, has anyone here tried to play Civ V on 2007 hardware?
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Buy them off GamersGate, Steam, or Impulse.  Grab the new Complete Collection as it has everything if you want everything, or just grab the Ultimate Edition if you only want SotS+BoB+AMoC.

Offline mxlm

Mind if I ask how  it's running? 
There's a demo. Download it and find out.

No, really. Apparently it's inconsistent; I know a guy way below min spec who had no problems, but other people do.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

For anyone who has it, does the turn limit still exist, ie the game ends in year xxxx, or did they finally have the common sense to get rid of it?
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Nope, game still officially ends in 2050.

A friend of mine bought it and...

Apparently it not only requires Steam, but that's all the disk has on it: Steam. You need to download the whole game, even if you bought a boxed version in the store.

There might be multiple versions of the boxed copy, but that's what he told me. So if you go out to get it, make sure to read the box closely.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Mind if I ask how  it's running?  Civ IV had a pretty unassuming engine that didn't require too much computing power, but the trailers for V make me a little nervous.  I know it's turn-based, so a consistent framerate isn't a deal-breaker.  Still, has anyone here tried to play Civ V on 2007 hardware?

I'm playing it on low-quality hardware. It works fine, just don't alt-tab.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I have played the basic game for years now,

Get the expansions. They expand on trade and diplomacy, improve pretty much EVERYTHING.
Seriously, the game is like SCP - it just keeps getting better with each new update (nobody uses the word patch) and expansion.

Oh, the reason there's no planetary invasion is because SOTS is set in an early era of space empires. Invasion is a massive investment of time, money and resources, and it quite frankly doesn't pay off. You got a whole PLANET full of guerilla fighters. I would make Iraq and Afghanistan look like an insignificant speck of dust.

And species customization? Nice, but I find the races in SOTS to be so utterly diverse, than a simplistic +1/-1 bonuses/penalties to trade/espionage or whatever just pale in front of it.
Playing with another race is like playing a new game.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

A friend of mine bought it and...

Apparently it not only requires Steam, but that's all the disk has on it: Steam. You need to download the whole game, even if you bought a boxed version in the store.

There might be multiple versions of the boxed copy, but that's what he told me. So if you go out to get it, make sure to read the box closely.

Huh. That kinda sucks for me, since I still haven't grown a pair and asked my parents about getting Steam on our computer.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

I have played the basic game for years now,

Get the expansions. They expand on trade and diplomacy, improve pretty much EVERYTHING.
Seriously, the game is like SCP - it just keeps getting better with each new update (nobody uses the word patch) and expansion.

Oh, the reason there's no planetary invasion is because SOTS is set in an early era of space empires. Invasion is a massive investment of time, money and resources, and it quite frankly doesn't pay off. You got a whole PLANET full of guerilla fighters. I would make Iraq and Afghanistan look like an insignificant speck of dust.

And species customization? Nice, but I find the races in SOTS to be so utterly diverse, than a simplistic +1/-1 bonuses/penalties to trade/espionage or whatever just pale in front of it.
Playing with another race is like playing a new game.
Exactly.  You cannot play as the Humans even remotely close to the way you would play as the Liir, Tarkas, or Hivers.  The differences get even more extreme when you think about the Morrigi or Zuul.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
So how is Civ V working out for people? I don't have a budget for it right now but all this talk about Civilization made me want to try and install Civ II. It doesn't work on 64bit OS'es without an extreme amount of trickery. I tried the demo of Civ IV whenever that came out and I didn't like that at all... it was too divergent from the more simple setup for Civ II. I hear Civ V might fit the bill as they simplified a lot of things in a smart way.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Played Civ2 & 4 recently and I think that 4 is far more userfriendly. Really looked forward to the fifth part. But I'll wait until they release a Complete-Package with all Add-Ons for Civ5 until I buy it ;)
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."