Author Topic: XMAS RELEASE: Earth Defence Demo  (Read 43395 times)

Re: XMAS RELEASE: Earth Defence Demo
Ok, I have a reproducible crash here. In the second mission, the game invariably crashes when I go into the ship selection. (Fatal error.)

It looks great otherwise, aside from hard to read text thanks to menu backgrounds and spelling errors. :)

Was this bug ever fixed? Because I got a crash, and not only did it crash but also my screen went black and I couldn't do much of anything though somehow got my computer to shutdown nicely.
           And if I downloaded the demo only recently (ie today) do I need the patch? Or has the patch been integrated into the original download?

Yeah, necro-thread. Whatever.
           I've heard about this mod, but didn't know they had a demo until I noticed one on their forums. I'm sure there are a lot of people in my position.

Never mind that demo, ED plot has turned 180° since then. The demo has nothing to do with it anymore. IIRC.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Never mind that demo, ED plot has turned 180° since then. The demo has nothing to do with it anymore. IIRC.

Yeah.  That's more or less it.  While the demo plot doesn't contradict anything in the new plot, it isn't really relevant, as no connections can be drawn between the two plotlines.

Er, well INF:SCP is totally different from Inferno Release1 but does that mean people shouldn't play R1 anymore?
     I mean if it's fun, I'll play it. By the time the final campaign is released I'll probably forget the story from the demo anyway.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah but this is a giant bug riddled mess released before it was even fully completed, with practically all of the ships ripped from other campaigns.

now they have a ton of cool ships in mod lockdown...  :doubt:
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Yeah but this is a giant bug riddled mess released before it was even fully completed, with practically all of the ships ripped from other campaigns.

Well, I'm playing through it and haven't encountered any bugs. Except for the ship selection screen bug, which I avoid and just take the default ship instead. It's uh . . .humorous, in some ways.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I didn't particularly like how every pilot wanted to "play some cards" after their sortie. :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I didn't particularly like how "European" ships had American names. That bothered me a bit. :nervous:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I didn't particularly like how "European" ships had American names. That bothered me a bit. :nervous:

That bothered me the most actually. The EC might aswell be called the American Community if they call everything American.

I didn't particularly like how every pilot wanted to "play some cards" after their sortie. :nervous:

Yeah that reminded me a bit of my own campaign, but not so much in a good way. Of course the dialogue in my own missions wasn't hot **** either.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
That thing with the swear words coming across as comical through the translator was pretty funny though.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Snail

• SC 5
now they have a ton of cool ships in mod lockdown...  :doubt:
Yes. Yes we do. :D

You should have seen the socks conversation I removed.

(It went something like this:

Alpha 3: Anyone seen my socks?
Alpha 4: Uhh, say again, Alpha 3?
Alpha 3: Yeah I lost my socks anyone seen them?
Alpha 2: SOCKS? WTF?!?!?
Alpha 4: Talk to Epsilon 4 about that, I heard she was stealing socks.)

Alpha 3: Anyone seen my socks?
Alpha 4: Uhh, say again, Alpha 3?
Alpha 3: Yeah I lost my socks anyone seen them?
Alpha 2: SOCKS? WTF?!?!?
Alpha 4: Talk to Epsilon 4 about that, I heard she was stealing socks.)

Yeah the pilots are uh, kinda funny. Even the first mission of the demo, I've never seen such apologetic pilots. "Sorry, sorry sorry!"
        They're also completely useless I noticed, I think I scored all the kills in the first two missions just about. Well until the Cruiser arrives for the cargo then they actually did something.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The next release will be exactly five times less stupid. Roundabout.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
....Well, I'm playing through it and haven't encountered any bugs. Except for the ship selection screen bug...

It's not an ED-only bug. Do you know that? (Just curious, no accusation intended.)
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

....Well, I'm playing through it and haven't encountered any bugs. Except for the ship selection screen bug...

It's not an ED-only bug. Do you know that? (Just curious, no accusation intended.)

Not overly, wasn't sure what was causing I only knew that I wanted to avoid it in future. Maybe the problem was that I was using custom fighters with no Loadout.pcx for the fighter (a safe assumption seeing as how all the fighters use a default shield display rather than their own), but then again the Earth Defense demo doesnt use the launcher at least in the desktop icon, for me to enable the 3d model selection bit. Suppose I could check the directory to see if there's one there.

Well I played through the campaign and it was pretty fun until:
Spoiler:
the enemy started acting like complete idiots and the FRED missions were so stacked in the players favour so as to be unlosable. Like the big "battle of endor" in the asteroid belt, when both the Orions become invulnerable who do you thinks going to win? Or what's so great about the Solaris? It can't even take out an Orion on its own. And yeah the Solaris has beam turrets but so does the Orion so what makes it so great? That its better than the Zagreus or whatever it's called in ED? And then the Galaxy arrives RIGHT after the Solaris gets killed, maybe they should've arrived 5 minutes earlier to help it out. And then again attacking the Galaxy with four Cruiser, and two of them are set to invulnerable. I don't know if I saw a friendly ship actually die before the last mission, unless of course I was specifically supposed to be guarding it. Like if there's a trap, sprung by the enemy, make the friendlies actually take some losses instead of having them all survive (as far as I could tell). Oh wait, one Cruiser died. When it entered the blue zone or the red zone or whatever and exploded for some reason. . . .  And the enemy is quite frankly a bunch of morons, like the one mission were the player attacks a cargo depot in captured fighters. Okay, that could work, but then they call in a friendly cruiser for reinforcements. It's like "Oh, we're getting attacked by the Arabs! Damn them! They stabbed us in the back! Oh what the hell, wait, wait a second, here comes an Earth cruiser. And the two of them are working together . .. maybe they're not Arabs after all." But anyway, was pretty fun except for all that.

And yeah, I know, disregard the demo because it's all changed now with yadda yadda yadda. But for the demo on its own, the above applies.

:nervous: Luckily, we don't care about the demo anymore...