Author Topic: Just playing with Coxxon's models again... Let's put an art-ish thread on here.  (Read 14922 times)

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Re: Just playing with Coxxon's models again... Let's put an art-ish thread on here.
Well, in this case blur should be increased.
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline newman

Re: Just playing with Coxxon's models again... Let's put an art-ish thread on here.
No, it shouldn't. You got two types of objects in that shot: stars (static) and viper (moving). Now if you look at the stars you'll see quite a lot of directional blur on them, indicating the camera is moving to follow the viper. In this case the blur he's got is quite enough, although it could look more directional on the viper.
Anyway, this thread is more about us following the progress of certain prospective team candidates then a showcase of random bsg renders - in all honesty those should be either posted in a different thread or on SFM, where they belong. Of course, I'm not a mod so that's just my personal opinion.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
Um.. stars, you say?. Because I do not see any on that render.. The one Adalla posted goes with the blurryeffect focusing the Viper's tail. Perhaps it's gliding?. If possible, I'd post a version with blur and one without it, for the sake of the eye-candy lovers. Talking about love.. I do love those engine glows! :)
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline newman

Um.. stars, you say?. Because I do not see any on that render..

You either need a new monitor or new glasses :D
If I might suggest Adalla, the text imprinted on the shot looks horrible. Decrease the glow by a lot and use the font so the AA issues aren't visible. Not sure what app you're using but photoshop does have several anti aliasing options for fonts.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:06:22 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Anyway, this thread is more about us following the progress of certain prospective team candidates then a showcase of random bsg renders - in all honesty those should be either posted in a different thread or on SFM, where they belong. Of course, I'm not a mod so that's just my personal opinion.

Adalla did actually want to join us as an animator but needs to improve a little more. Which is why I had no problem with him posting.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline newman

Cool, didn't know that. Guess I should let mods/admins do their jobs in the future :) Anyway, would be nice to have a dedicated animator.

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
Um.. stars, you say?. Because I do not see any on that render..

You either need a new monitor or new glasses :D
If I might suggest Adalla, the text imprinted on the shot looks horrible. Decrease the glow by a lot and use the font so the AA issues aren't visible. Not sure what app you're using but photoshop does have several anti aliasing options for fonts.

Both probably :P. Anyways I was referring to the latest render Adalla posted on here. Or the gamma of your monitor is set up to 2.20 or mine is set up to -2.20. Could be that so? :) Has not much importance though..

-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
I posted here since the person who made the thread invited others to post their work. But for the record, yes, I have expressed interested in helping out with Diaspora as an animator in the past.

The render I posted has 30% motion blur. I specifically reduced it so it would be aesthetically pleasing and we could notice the details of the ship. Even 40% blur made it look well...blurry. So I went for "cool looks" more than realism for this one.

As for the stars, yeah perhaps they could be a tad brighter. I usually breakout and composite shots. But this was a quick single-pass test shot so it'll look worse than a multi-pass composite that's been tweaked to look nice.

Neuman, all suggestions are welcome. That's why I post my work here and in another 4 or 5 sites. Feedback is what allows people to get better. And I'm especially interesetd in getting feedback from the highly talented folk here at Diaspora.

I will look into changing the overlay text in rendered images to make it look better.

Please do keep the feedback coming :) It's appreciated.

Offline Morwen

Hi all, my first post here (although I have been following the forums for a while)

I <3 BSG, and so when bored, I made this.

Battlestar Aurora (not a remodelled Galactica), modelled, textured, and rendered by myself, using http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/CanisD/Shipyard/Drawings/OtherGenres/Galactica/auroracg0.png as reference.

It's not fully textured yet since I've been fiddling around with the lights.

Offline newman

Are you interested in joining the team or are you just showing us this for kicks? Cause if you want to join the Diaspora team, we'd be interested to see more of your work - let us know.

Offline Morwen

Oh I posted it just for fun.

I don't think I'm nearly good enough to be on the team, haven't really had much 3D modelling experience, and definitely no knowledge of modding. Although, if there's anything I can help with, I'd love to.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Get on IRC if you can. It's easier to talk about this sort of stuff there. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Morwen

Hmm I can use http://www.mibbit.com/chat/?server=irc.diasporagames.com&channel=%23diaspora to access the IRC right? Don't see anyone there right now.

Offline Snagger

Oh I posted it just for fun.

I don't think I'm nearly good enough to be on the team, haven't really had much 3D modelling experience, and definitely no knowledge of modding. Although, if there's anything I can help with, I'd love to.
Looks like you're good enough from my chair.  Nice design, the Aurora.

Re: Just playing with Coxxon's models again... Let's put an art-ish thread on he
I agree.

Have you got any more shots of the Aurora?

Offline Morwen

Does that count?  :nervous:

Fooling around with lights and particles also gave me:

Reused  the flak explosion render from the first picture, as I thought it fits rather well here too.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: Just playing with Coxxon's models again... Let's put an art-ish thread on he
Very nice, it's definitely evocative of the show.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Holy crap, thats awesome looking!

Is that model available anywhere?

Offline Morwen

Thank you!

I made the model from scratch and it's still incomplete (not fully textured), so it is not available anywhere.
For extra kicks, here's a rendered video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g3AHBuyKAM.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
That's a very nifty idea Morwen compiling a short video detailing the project's development.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”