Author Topic: Its life Jim, but not as we know it.......  (Read 9091 times)

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
Its life Jim, but not as we know it.......
Just wondering are people still alive around here?

Its been very quiet around the Diaspora forum for a while.

Hows everyone doing? Ready for Christmas? How is work progressing? No one bitten by rabid monkeys?
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Its life Jim, but not as we know it.......
It's been a little quiet but work is still progressing. Got some nice stuff going on in the internal which we'll be showing off eventually.

Most of the work going on at the moment has to do with tabling and balancing. Necessary, but it doesn't result in pretty pictures unfortunately.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
and waiting on a good SCP build with the gliding AI and that awesome stuff.
i suppose it will only be a couple weeks after sufficicent build is made that we will see a 1st release, or at VERY soon(tm) afterwards

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There's more to Diaspora than the build.

Every new official build brings us one step closer to release though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Free hookers and booze to the first dev that leaks me the game!
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Free hookers and booze to the first dev that leaks me the game!

LOL

well... you might get something else leaked at you :p
el hombre vicio...

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Even FreeSpace fans can get some.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Snagger

Well, the silence is a little disconcerting.  I can undertsand that the coding doesn't give us much to look at for updates, but surely some new models are still underway, or the texturing of the models for the R1 release?  What about news on the whole launching/landing issue?

Happy Christmas, everyone. :)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hey, I like to read about coding...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline newman

Well, the silence is a little disconcerting.  I can undertsand that the coding doesn't give us much to look at for updates, but surely some new models are still underway, or the texturing of the models for the R1 release?  What about news on the whole launching/landing issue?

Happy Christmas, everyone. :)

Actually, you assume some things wrong, so I'll try to set the record straight. See, once we release pretty pictures of a ship, that ship usually isn't done by a long shot. Sure it looks nice on the shots but there's usually a ton of work to be done on it to get it ready for the game. I'll give an example - the Prometheus was only recently exported to it's final version. Yea, the model and texture have been done for ages, but porting it with proper collisions, all LODs, debris, destroyable subsystems? That was all done in a final version of the ship very recently. Is it good progress? Damn straight. Is it something new we can show pictures of? Not really, even if it did get us closer to being ready for release. And that sort of thing has to be done for every ship, station and object before we release. Now, for R1, art-wise, we're missing a few things but most of the stuff simply just needs to be finalized in this manner, and that is something we're working on right now. Like I said, it doesn't produce pretty pictures but at some point, you need to hold off on making new stuff and make sure the old stuff is finalized and ready for the final game if you ever mean to release. So, have faith and patience, because we're really trying to get you the best game we can make.
Also, merry Christmas everyone!
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Yea, the model and texture have been done for ages, but porting it with proper collisions, all LODs, debris, destroyable subsystems? That was all done in a final version of the ship very recently. Is it good progress? Damn straight. Is it something new we can show pictures of? Not really, even if it did get us closer to being ready for release.
Not that I want you to waste too much time on screens when you could be finishing R1, but explosions are eye-candy too.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Echelon9

Hey, I like to read about coding...
For those who would like to read about some Diaspora related coding updates, over the holiday break I reimplemented part of the OS X build process.

This small change doesn't affect the conversion of human readable source code into computer executable binary code; but does improve an integral step necessary for us to produce a clean build for testing. And without testing, we won't get a polished product out the door for R1!

An Info.plist file contains text metadata used by the operating system to understand the application. It is bundled with the application as a final step of the build process. The FS2_Open SCP engine previously used two completely separate Info.plist templates, but this gave an opportunity for error, was unweildy, and wasn't going to scale easily in future.

We now use GCC's (the OS X compiler) preprocessing feature to dynamically produce the final Info.plist file as required by each Build Configuration.

All trunk builds following r5741 will also have been built using this new feature, another example of the Diaspora team giving back to assist all other FreeSpace 2 Open players and modders. :)

Merry Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 12:20:25 pm by Echelon9 »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Neat.  ;)

A little off-topic, but what are the major barriers preventing Mac OS FSO from being just the same in terms of quality as Windows FSO? It's mostly graphical, is it not?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Echelon9

... A little off-topic, but what are the major barriers preventing Mac OS FSO from being just the same in terms of quality as Windows FSO? It's mostly graphical, is it not?
They are in most ways equivalent. You've correctly identified graphics (in particular GLSL shaders) as the most prominent difference.

The older shader code (I'll call it the taylor version) had performance issues with GLSL shaders on OS X - almost certainly due to some oddities in the Apple drivers. The newer shader code (I'll call it the Hery version) hasn't gone through the same extensive testing on Mac OS X, because I am currently using an older Mac laptop while my new one arrives. In the next week I'll be doing some more thorough tests, and see if the issues still remain.

Offline Snagger

Thanks for the update.  As I said, most of what was being done behind the scenes and doesn't make for big updates.  What was worrying was the lack of discussion on progress except for the translation thread. :)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I've been fiddling with a First Cylon War proto Viper design based off the J7W1 Shinden. 

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Ah, nice...

Why not just use an actual TOS Viper, though?  :drevil:

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
frak the TOS viper, use the ACTUAL mark 1 design they made for the new series.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline newman

frak the TOS viper, use the ACTUAL mark 1 design they made for the new series.

What's the difference between the two? From what I saw the two are quite similar. I'm sure there are some differences as there have been so far with every re-imagined TOS ship, but the mk1 viper looked pretty similar to the TOS original to me.. from what I can remember anyway. Not an expert on this ship, really, so feel free to enlighten me if you got some nice refs :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb