Author Topic: Civ III Question  (Read 2412 times)

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
So I found Civ III in a used game store a while back. I've played a few rounds now, and I'm wondering.... Is there a mod that makes it to where there isn't chance in Hell of a longbowman destroying my mechanized tank?* Better yet, is there a mod where ICBMs act like they're supposed to?

*That really happened.

Offline watsisname

Er... I recall in Civ II there was a rules setting for the combat system so you could make such battle outcomes impossible.  Dunno about Civ III though.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Er... I recall in Civ II there was a rules setting for the combat system so you could make such battle outcomes impossible.  Dunno about Civ III though.

That would have been a nice feature. And if it's in Civ III, then it's hidden somewhere in a random .ini file.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Is there a mod that makes it to where there isn't chance in Hell of a longbowman destroying my mechanized tank

Yeah, the spearmen are the most dangerous unit in Civ3 because later on they develop the ability to affix plastik to modern tanks. :p

Seriously though, one thing I didn't like about Civ (although Alpha Centauri had this feature) was the inability to customize your own units. Your tanks are the same as everyone elses tanks. At least in Alpha Centauri you could go with different design philosophies as well as unit specialization.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Is there a mod that makes it to where there isn't chance in Hell of a longbowman destroying my mechanized tank

Yeah, the spearmen are the most dangerous unit in Civ3 because later on they develop the ability to affix plastik to modern tanks. :p

Seriously though, one thing I didn't like about Civ (although Alpha Centauri had this feature) was the inability to customize your own units. Your tanks are the same as everyone elses tanks. At least in Alpha Centauri you could go with different design philosophies as well as unit specialization.

Civ3 introduces unique units for each empire. All in all it's a pretty fun game. I know what you're saying, those personally I didn't much care for AC at all. I just couldn't get into it. Researching stuff I didn't care about, driving funky vehicles . . . . M001 was the last game I truly enjoyed with personalized unit creation myself. Though maybe I didnt give AC a chance? who knows.

Offline Slasher

They don't make those M1s like they used to.  Plus, those spearheads are made of depleted uranium. 

Actually, if you browse civfanatics.com you might be able to find something in their mod database that does this. 

If not, and this really matters to you, you can always use the editor included with the game to set up a map where the rules have been changed.  Give the modern units a 300% increase in attack-defense strength or something.  I think Modern Armor units are 24-12-3 (attack-defense-movement)?  If you change it to 100-50-6 then little 1-2-1 Spearman will die easily, DPU spearheads or not.  You can also change their default hitpoints.  I think all units have three green health bars.  Let tanks and the like start out with four or five, just to make certain some dude with a musket doesn't pop the turret off your Abrams. 

The big problem with this solution is you must do this every time you want to play with these rules.  You can import rules from one map to the next in the editor, and the editor itself can generate a random map not unlike the game can, but you can do none of this in-game.

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
My suggestion Buy Civ IV its worth the money!!!!!!
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
They don't make those M1s like they used to.  Plus, those spearheads are made of depleted uranium. 

Actually, if you browse civfanatics.com you might be able to find something in their mod database that does this. 

Well, the depleted uranium makes about as much sense as anything else in the game, I guess.  :nervous:

As for the database, well, it sucks. Every link I've tried has been dead, and none of them seem to say what they're supposed to do in the first place. For all I know, they add nothing but brothels to the game.

------------------------

I'll check the demo out... again. If it turns out to be worth the money, then I'll just download it as compensation for Civ III.  :ick:

By the way, your '1' key is sticking.  :p

Offline Slasher

Civ4 doesn't have this problem anywhere near to the extent Civ3 seemed to.  A weakened, damaged tank will still explode if clubbed appropriately, and even archers can bring down Cobra gunships (RPG-7 arrowheads!), but these instances are far rarer than in the previous game. 

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

I'll check the demo out... again.

Heh, yep, it's still worthless to me.  :p