Author Topic: Kingdom of Loathing  (Read 16688 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, I tend to mix Herbs and Spices first and then cook those with the Dry Noodles, as long as you have a chef-in-the-box, it doesn't cost any adventures ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well I've just killed the naughty sorceress again so I'm getting ready to ascend which means that my daily routine is somewhat different as I can quite happily survive on what I have left over from previous adventures without needing to farm for anything.

When I'm actually in hardcore my daily routine might be of more interest. Since I've permed all the food and drink production skills I've got quite a few options as to what I can eat and drink. Of course these are my opinions and if you know a better way I'm pleased to hear it :)

Reagent dishes are what you should be after. Except for the moxie one (which needs goats cheese) you can find the ingredients in the knob goblins kitchens or at the deep fat friars gate which makes them pretty easy to come by (In fact with a good tailwind I can be eating them on the first day of my ascension). They're also the best food in the game that you can come by easily. They're very filling but two of them and a pizza/buritto/ 3 turkish delights will give you 50-60 adventures and a nice boost to your stats.

The only time reagent dishes shouldn't be your goal is when playing as a pastamancer or sauceror. Both of these have access to the wok and if you can get the ingredients together the stuff you can make in that blows away the reagent dishes. Best of all you can eat at least 3 of them a day. That said they're bloody expensive. You'll need quite a few ingredients (including both herbs and spices) and you'll need mushrooms for anything except the hi-meins and you'll have to pay 1000 meat for the MSG you need to make each of them.
 That probably puts them out of your reach except for the last few days before ascension. You can make them a little easier by playing with a muscle zodiac sign as that makes finding mushrooms easier though.

Booze is a lot simpler. Get the disco bandit booze skills and you can make 5 top cocktails every day just by finding the bottle and the mixer. If you're playing as an actual moxie class make sure you only drink stuff that was improved by the Crosby Nash Still as it's a lot better than even the already good disco bandit drinks :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

For now, I'm being supremely lazy any using the microbrewery for all my booze needs. Lazy is good. Those drinks sure do look mighty good though... **writes down another skill on the 'to get asap' list** :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I have a list like that. It's very long :D

Although I'm seriously questioning why I waited so long to cross Polka of Plenty off of it. :)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, spices are quite easy to come by with one technique I've found, though it's not as easy now the clovers have been nerfed. Simply get as many clovers as you can and keep adventuring in the Sewer, you can pick three items, so pick another worthless item, Spices and something else, you now have enough Jewjaws to restore all the clovers you used up getting spices ;) I currently have a collection of around 20 jewjaws to trade.

Thanks for the buffs btw Kara, how do you buff other clan members, most of my skills are pretty useless for most players, but Springy Fusilli and Pasta One-ness might be handy for other people if I'm able to buff them. The hard part for me is keeping my Magic Points up.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Basically you just add people to your friends list by picking them off of the Clans member list and then simply pick them as the victim rather than yourself.

I wouldn't worry too much about buffing people if you don't have the MP. The reason I give out buffs is cause I had defeated the NS with 180 adventures left and a plexiglass pith helmet which gives me 10 MP per adventure. It took me about 300 adventures to charge up the spells I would use in the rest of the day which gave me 1500 MP I had absolutely no use for since I was going to ascend the second I ran out of adventures. Figured I might as well buff my clan instead of just wasting it :)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
LOL No probs, I might choose Disco Bandit when I ascend, the Polka of plenty combined with a 30 lb Baby Gravy Fairy produces rather good loot ;)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Polka of Plenty is an Accordian Thief skill (Hence the little note for its symbol) and you'll lose any buffs when you ascend (Which is why I tend to avoid casting them on level 11 characters cause I don't know if they'll have time to make use of them). 

Offline Mathwiz6

• Pees numbers
Now that clovers got nerfed, I guess I could still do that sewer trick 3x a day, and get proper delcious spicy noodles...

My prob was, spices took too long to get, (didn't know about sewer :(), and were too expensive...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah. The clover nerf is somewhat annoying, especially if you're making chow meins. Each one needs spices, you can eat 3 a day and sometimes you can only get 2 from the Hermit in one day which means you're going to have to adventure at the pirates cove in disguise (risking getting drunk), at the kitchens or waste a lot of adventures in the sewer fishing for spices.

Offline Mathwiz6

• Pees numbers
Pirates cove first, then get drunk... Mmmm... Beer stein and six-packs...

(12 advs, 6 drunkeness, 40 Mana :)

Nah, I'll go with something else... when I'm a disco bandit... Whoo! Drinking 3 sixpacks, and still walking!

Offline Shade

Whoo! Drinking 3 sixpacks, and still walking!
Bah, I can do that. I'm just not walking for very long :p
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Actually, I used to play ages ago, but I never managed to defeat the Naught Sorcerress with my level 15 Disco Bandit. Annoying as all hell, actually, since without ascending to another class, things got boring fast. If anyone has any tips on ascending with DB's, I'd be happy to hear them. Right now I generally wear the furry suit and use the wand of nagamar, but I always get defeated, even if I manage to get to her second form. Even when using huge amounts of healing potions....

Will pay meat for Ascension....
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Shade

Don't read the below if you don't like spoilers.

Farm a bunch of torpedoes in the airship, get some plot holes from the castle (5+ is ideal), and level up a half decent combat familiar - I tried my new MicroMechaMech last time and that thing did a heap of damage, but any combat familiar will help as long as it's a decent level. Get its item from the arena too, of course.

Then lose to her 10 times in a row on purpose, get 30 homeopathic elixirs in case you need them, and put on the furry suit and any +hp/mana items you have (but no +stats) and of course the wand. If you have them, flaming talons are nice for the offhand. Oh yeah, and since you're a DB, make sure you have the skill that lets you use two items per round, I forget what it's called, as that will greatly increase your odds. Another good thing to have is the chronic indigestion skill you get for eating an insanely spice enchanted bean burrito, so cook and eat one of those if you haven't already.

Ok, so why lose to her so many times? It makes her interrupt your item and skill uses less. Much less, if you lose a lot. So your tactic will be to rely on items/skills to do most of the work, plot holes to delevel her a bit to make her miss more, and torpedoes and chonic indigestion to really hurt her. And it will also let you get those healing potions through most of the time when you need them instead of seeing them wasted time after time.

On the first form, use two plot holes and then torpedo/chronic indigestion her down. If you don't have so many torpedoes and/or mana, use some normal attacks with the wand as well as this will always let your familiar act and hopefully do some damage even if you miss, and if you do hit the talons will make sure you at least make a dent. If you get below 80% health, use a healing potion, as you want to be near full health once the first form dies.

On the second form, it's the same deal, just use 3 plot holes instead of two as this one will let itself be deleveled a bit more before dispelling it. Also, you can let yourself get somewhat more damaged as you won't need any health for the 3rd fight as long as you can get there, so just use enough to stay alive and otherwise concentrate on damage. This form does more damage though so don't let yourself drop too far.

If you get past this form, just watch the show.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 08:54:50 am by Shade »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Spoliers

You forgot to mention familiar choice. A good battle familiar is an absolute must. I use my astral badger simply because if I can get the snake attack off it does a fairly reasonable amount of damage even on a level one familiar. Since you can't do that I'd advise picking one of the really good combat familiars like the angry goat/sabre-toothed lime etc. I can't say which is exactly the best of the lot since I don't use them much but whichever one you had to level up to get past the NS's defences (if any) is probably a good bet.

Other suggestions. The acid squirting flower from the Fun House is good. Seeing as the NS hits you every turn she'll take 5 points of damage every turn. IF you're continually healing and letting your familiar beat her down that can add up over the course of a 10-20 combat round battle.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Well, Someones cast a freaky deaky tune on me, I just dunno who.......... :nervous:

I like the Mosquito in that i get a bit of health back,......Although my angry goat is prettyy cool. :nod:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The Gravy Fairy is good, and I'm training up a Cocoabo, simply for the Mana boost it gives :)

I've got a Grue I'm training up when it's dark, but I really need to train up a second fighter, I'm trying to decide between the Sabre toothed Lime, The Balloon Monkey or the Spooky Pirate Skeleton...

The NS is now available to me, but I think I'm going to hang on and go for the Wok of Ages so I can prep some stuff for my ascension :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Go for the sabre-toothed lime. There's a 2 in 5 chance you'll need it when it comes to fighting the NS depending on what she has with her.

The gravy fairy is good but used to use my volleyball almost exclusively unless I was farming for a certain object. Unless you get hold of the Mr Store familiars you really can't beat the kind of stat gains a pumped up volleyball can give you. For every 4 pounds it has you gain another stat point every fight. So with a level 25 familiar (fully pumped up + Cake Arena equipment)  that's 5 points split between moxie\muscle and mysticality.

A lot of people reccomend taking the Turtle Tamer as one of your first 5 ascensions just to permanent Amphibian Sympathy for another 5 levels of familiar and the main reason for doing that is that it's another stat point every fight when you have the volleyball. 

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
What you want, is a Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I barely use mine. :p

Cheshire Bat all the way. Not as showy as the NPZR but that thing gets me about 100% more meat from every fight as well as the stat boost I mentioned earlier.