Author Topic: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon  (Read 23729 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
That trailer looks dope. **** plausibility, this is the epic Ace Charlie action I <3.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Look at that Modern Warfare with planes.

And for a change the Big Bad is flying a standard Su-27 instead of SU-37 GOD OF ALL RUSSIAN PLANES.

And Pugachev's Cobra actually being used in-game = win.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
And for a change the Big Bad is flying a standard Su-27

Not some made-up superplane? Unpossible I says.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Loving the new trailer! Super exciting... this fall is going to be huge for games and it's going to be hard to not try and buy everything all at once :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Oh gawwwd in HD...  :eek2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-I0FcZ4P2w

Markov's plane is actually the Su-35S.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
So says the target description on the HUD. Well, oops then.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Do I hear them say "Mobius 1" at 2:12?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Uhm, why? Doesn't AC:AH take place in the real world? :wtf:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Does it matter where or when it takes place? It's a callsign.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
So far each callsign has been a characteristic of each game, but heh... who knows what NAMCO are up to.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Could also just be a shout-out, Mobius. We know jack-all about the story, no need to over analyze an eyecandy trailer.

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
Someone over at AceCombatSkies found Nagase walking around in the background(about 0:58), so shoutouts are definitely plausible. :P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
oh japan

This game actually looks really cool visually, I just wish they'd hire someone really fluent to work the janks out of the script. It always bothers me about translations that they have these clumsy lines dropped in.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I dunno, the audio seemed a lot less silly then AC6 at least.  I didn't hear a single "Dance with the Angels!!!!"
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Agreed, it's way better than AC6. A definite step up.

AC6 had the hammiest most poorly translated dialog in the series. Unfortunately, gameplay wise it also was a really damn good, almost beating out Zero for my favorite slot. From what we've heard of AH, though, yeah, sounds quite a bit better. The dialog seems to be smoother and the characters sounded less stiff.

Granted, it was a bit hard to tell over all the explosions and flybys, but still.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Some AH-64D footage

Maybe not Jane's Longbow but looks like it will be fun, and like everything else in Ace Combat, purdy.

For some reason, I almost universally get my ass kicked flying Helicopters in videogames, save for Battlefield. I'm hoping that trend doesn't rear its ugly head here.

Footage looked great, like everything else this game has shown off.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Interesting Trailer/Tutorial footage.  Looks like about a 10 minute long play of a intro mission, though I hazard a guess it's probably not the actual finalized opening mission since it doesn't jive with what I've seen in the story trailers but it gives a decent idea of how all that CQB dogfighting stuff they been pushing works in action. 
Overall I'm not impressed, visually it gorgeous but gameplay wise I saw a lot of things I'm not thrilled about.  Primarily I'm concerned about the cannon being nerfed in order to get those dragged out tail chase sequences.  It seemed to be wildly inaccurate and when it did score hits did piss all damage, so much so the player kept giving up and finishing with sidewinders in frustration.  I can understand that the Vulcan shredding enemy birds in one squirt doesn't jive with the CQB gameplay element, but in the normal dogfighting where your flying to set up "The Shot" your 20mm can't just be a Red Rider pop gun.  If that carries over into the normal free flight gameplay its going to suck donkey balls.  The occasional NES Top Gun level AI bits where a flight of Su-35s conveniently fly in formation in front of the player just in time for you to pump a swarm of AMRAAMs in them is also vexing.  The fact that in 10 minutes I noticed it was turning into a formulaic cycle of frustrating CQB chase, AMRAAM spam doesn't speak well for a dynamic experience.  The other issue I noticed was the camera spontaneously tracking off to look at the 'cool ****.'  Dropping in an out of control at modern jet fighter speeds seems disastrous, not to mention breaks your ability to maintain fluid awareness the furball situation (ie where friends, enemies and important objectives are in relation to you) in your head. 

Right now I'm going to assume it was being played in at a dumbed down lower difficulty setting and that with the proper options selected Assault Horizon will still play like a real Ace Combat game, but my confidence is a bit shaken.