Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 57571 times)

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Well yeah if you sit there in VTOL mode... that'll last all of the 5 seconds before a Su-35 nails you or a SOFLAM locks you up and you get hit by a stealth Javelin :)
Or someone hits you with just a dumbfire RPG. Or you get sniped out. Or some jet or transport heli from half across the map shoots through the glass.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

You do have to choose your moment, but I've capped a point in Wake that way so nuts to you both :P!
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Man, AA guns are so handy, and pilots in BF3 seem to be too dumb to realize that they're being shot from a land-based turret whenever I open fire on them, because these kills are getting way too easy.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Man, AA guns are so handy, and pilots in BF3 seem to be too dumb to realize that they're being shot from a land-based turret whenever I open fire on them, because these kills are getting way too easy.
I missed all the freaking time...

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Have you guys read this list of upcoming fixes they are working on?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2832654779195992365/

Sounds fine to me.
Habeeb it...

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Mms those upcoming fixes look pretty good for the most part, I'm hoping the TV missile tweaks involve fixing the horrible new handling on it.

Will help me a lot since I'm always being rammed by jets in my heli, but now if they try it they gonna go up in a fireball >:D
Only thing I'm dubious about is the flare and heli heatseeker tweaks, faster lock ons will make it much harder to get away, and flares not breaking lock-on will mean they can fire their second missile right after you flare for a a guaranteed hit.
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Use the ECM upgrade instead.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Mms those upcoming fixes look pretty good for the most part, I'm hoping the TV missile tweaks involve fixing the horrible new handling on it.

Will help me a lot since I'm always being rammed by jets in my heli, but now if they try it they gonna go up in a fireball >:D
Only thing I'm dubious about is the flare and heli heatseeker tweaks, faster lock ons will make it much harder to get away, and flares not breaking lock-on will mean they can fire their second missile right after you flare for a a guaranteed hit.
Drop your altitude and stay with the flares when they fire the second round. That would be my suggestion for a strategy.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
ECM wouldn't work since it won't break a lock or distract a missile in flight, it only prevents a lock. So if I went ECM I'd have to take the hit from the first missile, but could prevent the second.

As for dropping altitude, I do that already if I'm in a bad spot, but Below Radar doesn't always seem to work. No matter what I do, it's definately going to be more challenging to stay alive in a heli vs heli dogfight, I'm guessing that half the time both helis are gonna end up going down.
When Australia burned.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Just in-case people don't know...BF3 now has three DLC's announced. Each one is themed.

The first is called Close Quarters and it's focused on 16 player, multi level, interior and small spaces type fights. Not sure on all of the game mode details but it comes with 4 maps (all completely destroyable) and 10 new guns. I wasn't initially excited by this but it looks like a lot of fun and great way to do something different if you're tired of open fights and being strafed by some gun in a double ECM helicopter! :)

The second is called Armored Kill and it is definitely about the big open maps. They have said that the largest map in Battlefield history will be one of the maps included. New vehicles for this one...someone even mentioned mobile artillery. I'm interested in seeing what that's all about. More details to come.

The third is called End Game. No details released.
- IceFire

Also, BF3 is on sale on Origin now, if there's anyone who doesn't have it yet.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
don't buy this game  :blah:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Agreed. Buy ArmA II instead.  :)
It's more realistic, has better SM mode and doesn't come with Origin.[/armafanboy]

Offline Al-Rik

Agreed. Buy ArmA II instead.  :)
It's more realistic, has better SM mode and doesn't come with Origin.[/armafanboy]

ArmA II is a simulation, not a shooter.
Don't buy it, if you except a gameplay like Battlefield 2, 2142 or the good old Call of Duty: United Offensive.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Why?

I've recommended it to a great number of people. There are a few balancing issues (USAS with frag rounds I'm looking at you!) that are being fixed and there were a number of crashes I was having. Most of those are solved. If they aren't solved I'm hopeful that they will be in this next patch that appears to be imminent. Most of all... I have a blast playing it. So much fun! It may not be for everyone...but if you're into this type of game (and not ArmA II which is quite different) then have a look anyways.
- IceFire

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I am into this type of game, and I was super-excited for BF3 pre-launch! Unfortunately I think DICE has really botched it and the post-release support has been awful. I don't think consumers will get their money's worth.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
They kind of botched (but not really DICE's fault) the whole Origin thing at first. That's been largely sorted but I know not everyone is happy with BF3. All I know is I am and some that I play with on a regular basis are pretty happy. That's all I can speak to of course.
- IceFire

Offline Al-Rik

Why?
Because you need a lot of teamwork, communication and coordination, an DICE removed almost all tools for communication, coordination and teamwork.

It's not a problem if you have always 3 or more friends playing with you on the same teamspeak server, but in any other case you won't have much fun.

The majority of my time in this game is with people on voice chat which, as Al-Rik mentioned, is the best way to play this game. When there's no one available I just relax with some death-match or trying to find a squad which has some sort of will to play as a team. It sometimes works, but not often.

Anyway, point is, if you know a few people who play and could get them on voice chat, the game is totally worth it. Aren't there at least 3-4 people on HLP who play the game? There's already a HLP mumble server. So what's the problem?

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Why?
Because you need a lot of teamwork, communication and coordination, an DICE removed almost all tools for communication, coordination and teamwork.

It's not a problem if you have always 3 or more friends playing with you on the same teamspeak server, but in any other case you won't have much fun.

Have you been playing Wake Island? You get facerolled on that map if the opposing team shows even the slightest hint of teamwork.

http://bf3stats.com/stats_pc/grimper12341/history#spm,kdr,wlr

The last 2 history entries there are me trying wake island...I havn't got a <1 K/D ratio in *months*

But as you can see my older entries look pretty good and I always play lone wolf. It really depends on whether you prefer foot or vehicles. Foot, if you wanna keep alive, you need teamwork. Vehicles however, particularly the tank, you can be a one man army almost. You won't get as many kills compared to if you used teamwork, but you are 50x harder to kill, which is a big advantage.

Also use a suppressor on your weap, if you don't you show up on the minimap when you fire, and then everyone hones in on you. And for the love of god do *not* play Metro.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:05:57 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.