Author Topic: Let's Play... X-COM: Terror From the Deep  (Read 36248 times)

Re: Let's Play... X-COM: Terror From the Deep
Good news, you're all in!

-----

Well, after reading that page on the wiki on soldier promotion, I decided that it was a good time to open up a second base. So I pop it down in the Sea of Japan, and name it “Eight Samurai”. I just give it the basic necessities, a living quarters, general stores, transmission resolver and alien containment.

As we wait for the next thing to happen, I order up a few more soldiers, and research completes on the Sonic Cannon! This is the heaviest normal weapon in the game, but we can't actually pack it out into missions until research is done on the ammo. If we happen upon one in the field, it's fair game though.

We spot a very small sub, and I shoot it down without incident. Yes, I'm terrified of night missions, so I plan to wait until dawn again.

And, of course, as we wait, something very bad happens, just off the east coast of the US:

Yes. The aliens are pirates now too. And despite my block against night missions, I have no choice but to go, since it won't last until daylight. And of course, I don't have any flares left, and only one clip of phosphorous ammo for the cannon. But I say why not, and go for it. What's the worst that could happen? HA!

When we land on the deck of the ship, it is DARK. Seriously dark. The tank moves out around the front of the sub, and sees nothing. Lieutenant Dekker moves out to take a look around, and draws fire from an unknown alien to the south. It misses, but hits SpardaSon, who's just hanging out in the sub. He takes it like a champ and manages to survive.

We know in general where the shot came from, so Trashman carries his cannon out of the door. He gets shot too, but survives quite nicely.

He pops off a shot in the general direction of the alien, and it explodes well, lighting up the surrounding area.

Trashman: “Hey Dek, what's that? Looks like a big lobster. Also: Ow, I've been shot.”

Dekker: “OH **** NO. Everybody back in the sub, the ship's crew can probably fend for themselves.”

And so we do. The tank drives right back next turn, and we take off. (Spoiler: No, they weren't able to fend for themselves.)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Lame question... what exactly is the Triton? It seems it can gain access to land or sea... Is it a sub or an aircraft, or both?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Lame question... what exactly is the Triton? It seems it can gain access to land or sea... Is it a sub or an aircraft, or both?

both.  Subs use lasers to heat air or water in chambers, using the pressure to push the craft forwards. so they are more aerosubs, problem is i dont think any craft weapons work in air
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Lobster man....you should have enough firepower to bring it down...you got an entire team there.

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Lobster_Man
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:06:12 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Lobsters are a 1 alien team in themselves, even on the easiest difficulty they are to damage as a sponge is to water
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
That's actually not a bad mission at night since much of it is indoors, but he had Gauss rifles.

I've seen Lobstermen absorb up to 12 hits before going down to those.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Aye. I was thinking to myself that if I ran into one of those guys under ideal circumstances, I would bring it down with gauss fire, grab the body and abscond. But being a nighttime shipping mission, it wasn't worth the risk. In a previous game, I researched heavy gauss cannons, and those still did practically nothing to lobstermen.

I'll have sonic cannons soon though, that should be a good edge on 'em.

And yeah. Airsub. It's the future, don't think too hard about it. Hey, if the Skyranger is a VTOL super-sonic transport, the Triton can be amphibious too, why not.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Yeah, but supersonic, sub-orbital flight capable transport aircraft have only need to keep the pressure in... not out! They're totally plausible!

:p
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Yeah, but supersonic, sub-orbital flight capable transport aircraft have only need to keep the pressure in... not out! They're totally plausible!

:p

remember SkyRanger carries 2 tanks! (OK so they are probably more like the footprint and weight of a landrover)

so it is a medium sized transport (14 soldiers in full gear) with heavy lift capability (To carry the HWPs) on a VTOL engine platform which is also capable of supercruise (cruising speed is in the supersonic range)

which all makes the Trident even more insain

Well, we still had enough guys to go get that shot-down sub. There was only one alien out and about, and Dekker exploded it with a loooooooong bomb grenade after everyone else missed. Got some decent salvage.

April 3rd: Yay! Terror mission in Singapore!
On touchdown, the tank heads straight out the door, and right away spots a Gill Man with a sonic cannon, and shoots it dead.
Ravana heads around the front of the Triton, sticking close, spots a Gill Man on top of a building, and blasts it with a three round burst.

Broski, temping with the heavy cannon for Trashman while he heals, leaves the sub, spots a Gill Man down an alley, crouches behind the wing of the sub for cover, and shoots an HE round downrange. It explodes close enough, killing the alien. Broski will keep the landing zone clear, as best he can.

Coming around the nose of the transport, Ravana spots a Deep One, and decides that it would be best to try to take it alive.

It's currently just out of range to stun though, so she falls back, hoping to draw it in a little closer. As she turns back to hide behind the sub, she spots something in the office building next to the sub. It's a Gill Man hiding on the third floor, with a sonic pistol and command of the entire landing zone. (This will be problematic later; why don't I ever remember these things?)

Ravana fires some rounds in that direction to suppress it, and ducks behind the sub again.
Broski, seeing an opportunity, takes out a grenade, arms it, and tries to throw it through the third-story window.

After carefully assessing the situation, he reports that he can't make it through that tiny opening, and would rather not try and fail, and have a grenade falling dangerously close to himself, and also he would rather not keep holding the very live, and very ill-tempered grenade either. He decides to just get rid of it, and throws it down the alleyway, to make some entrance holes in the buildings.

Next turn, Broski and jr2 move toward the office building, with Lilith and Son of Dudeski preparing to take that factory. Broski moves through the hole created by his grenade, spots a Gill Man inside, fires, misses horribly, but the explosion from the miss still kills it.

Meanwhile, Ravana sprints out of cover at the Deep One, but runs out of TUs just short of being able to hit it with the stun rod, so she puts a few holes into it instead.

Turning back around, she spots a Gill Man through some piled tires and chainlink fence, lurking suspiciously.

Rather than walking around to get a clear shot and exposing herself to fire, she calls for help.
Scotty grabs a rifle, steps out of the sub, and coolly puts a single round through the Gill Man's chest.

Inconsiderate of just how cool Scotty was just then, the alien we left alive on the third floor snipes him in the back. He's down, unconscious, but alive, with three critical wounds in the left arm. He's bleeding pretty badly.

Dekker whips out his trusty medi-kit, and runs out to assist Scotty. He administers three shots of heal juice, and attempts to dash around the front of the ship. The alien sees this, is touched by the compassionate act, and blasts Dekker in the back of his head. But he lives! It's just a graze, but a graze by a sonic pistol is a dangerous wound.
EnsignDJ, having had quite enough of this, steps out, fires a couple of bursts into the building and the Gill Man drops dead.

In the other building, Broski and Son of Dudeski fire explosives into the factory, taking out two Gill Men and presumably injuring two Deep Ones.

Earlier, we had spotted an unarmed Gill Man just milling around on the second floor of the office building. My guess is that it was some sort of squad leader, because it was carrying grenades. It... dropped one and exploded itself.

Lilith closes in on the two partially wounded Deep Ones, and decides that they both don't need to survive in order to complete the objectives.

She blasts one, chases the other into that little room and hits it with the stunner. From that point on, it's a fairly routine bug hunt, with nothing spectacular to report.
Go med-kits!

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Yayz.  I get to shoot more evil alienz.

They never can be nice, friendly aliens, can they?  Noooo, they have to be aquatic alien invaders, which are actually even worse then non-aquatic invaders.  Sign me up please.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
EnsignDJ :lol:
I see what you did there. Very entertaining read, keep it up!
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Grab a rifle (like a boss).
Be a badass (like a boss).
Shoot an alien (like a boss).
Get ****ed up (like a boss).
Thank God for medkits (like a boss).

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm in the hospital for that scratch???

Put me back in the action capt'n. I want to get back at the scaly bastards!

I'm in the hospital for that scratch???

Put me back in the action capt'n. I want to get back at the scaly bastards!

Doctor's orders apparently countermand mine, but you should be up and at 'em shortly.

You're in Alex, we need reinforcements to fill the new holes in our soldiers squad, while they recuperate.

And :) CommanderDJ. If you'd like, I can also go the "Squaddie General Battuta" route also.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
HELL YEAH!

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Count me in!
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Redshirt duty, plz.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Count me in!
You're already there, you're just in the back of the boat so haven't seen much action yet.

Redshirt duty, plz.
Got it!

OK now, before I start the next mission, I'll post our current roster:

Hard-Lighters:
Dekker - Lieutenant - 12 missions, 12 kills, 22 days to recovery
SpardaSon - Able Seaman - 5 missions, 4 kills, 4 days to recovery
Polpolion - Able Seaman - 4 missions, 0 kills, 4 days to recovery (he tries hard though)
Trashman - Able Seaman - 5 missions, 2 kills, 18 days to recovery
Scotty - Ensign - 12 missions, 4 kills, 23 days to recovery
jr2 - Able Seaman - 6 missions, 2 kills
Ravenholme - Able Seaman - 3 missions, 2 kills
EnsignDJ - Ensign - 7 missions, 4 kills
Alex Heartnet - Seaman - 0/0
NGTM-1R - Seaman - 0/0
EDIT: Mongoose! - Seaman - 0/0

Generic seat fillers:
Broski II - Able Seaman - 1 mission, 3 kills
Son of Dudeski II - Able Seaman - 1 mission, 1 kill
John "Jonesey" Jones - Seaman - 3 missions, 0 kills