Author Topic: Mass Effect: Andromeda  (Read 60402 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda
Reapers are a logical and responsible (but incredibly violent) solution to the problem of hegemonic civilizations taking over the galaxy and erasing all the possible things that might yet be. They're the Krogan to our Rachni, the genophage to our Krogan. They preserve what they reap as new Reapers. We would never have existed without them. They're an alternate end stage to the life cycle of civilizations.

Crucible is a mass effect weapon that will peel apart every star in the galaxy using the dark energy foreshadowing from ME2. It's a gun to our own foreheads: leave us be or we'll force your ultimate fail state.

So, in your ending, the Reapers are a lot like the Shivans?

They're close to one interpretation of V's Shivans, but not an interpretation I think is most interesting.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Please, get over ME3's ending already folks, that train left the station years ago. Or go back to the old topics discussing it, this topic is not about ME3.

yeah why would you even discuss the end of the previous instalment of a series when speculating about the direction the next one will take
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please, get over ME3's ending already folks, that train left the station years ago. Or go back to the old topics discussing it, this topic is not about ME3.

That BioWare has elected to do everything possible to make the ending to ME3 matter as little as possible is a valid topic of discussion in a topic about ME4.

I mean, I totally understand if people are reluctant to once again jump on the ME hype train after being burned by ME3.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Vrets

They made a sequel to Mass Effect? **** this, I don't have time to play all of these games. Fml.
Hmm, you do know that the original Mass Effect had two sequels? Making Andromeda the fourth Mass Effect, and Andromeda starts completely new storyline with new main character.

As a man who has not (and probably will never) get around to playing Mass Effect 2 and 3, I float aloof and free above this discussion of "endings" and "hype trains".

As far as I know, anything could have happened in these last two installments. Anything. I could play this new game ("androgenerousity" or whatever) with an open mind, free from the loathsome baggage of the past. It's like starting a book at the 300th page.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
That BioWare has elected to do everything possible to make the ending to ME3 matter as little as possible is a valid topic of discussion in a topic about ME4.

I mean, I totally understand if people are reluctant to once again jump on the ME hype train after being burned by ME3.
Since Andromeda is not a direct sequel to ME3, I don't think that is entirely valid. In addition, developer like Bioware is a big house. People who made ME3 single-player are not making Andromeda, as a matter of fact it's the studio behind ME3 multiplayer that is making Andromeda.

Nevertheless, there used to be topics where ME3 and its ending were discussed thoroughly, please consider using those topics instead to discuss ME3. When new stuff about Andromeda gets published, I wouldn't want to wade through pages of posts discussing nothing but ME3's ending.

If we used those topics we'd get *****ed at for necroing. I haven't seen Battuta's ending stated in this much detail anywhere before, so this thread has been a net gain in my book.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

Were they just previously connected with the multiplayer? Didn't they do one or two DLCs or something? If not, they have quite the task to become up and running and improving in a very complex work ahead of them. I wish them luck.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

See the thing is we get this ridiculous monstrosity that directly leads to this game as far as actual, on-screen narrative is concerned.

While meanwhile let's go check in with the dudes working on The Old Republic, who are probably the Bioware team least cared about by anyone inside or outside the company. What's that? They've released a new planet to explore? Cool, cool, nothing to write home about, but Makeb's a solid experience. Wait what? You say they're releasing another two and more class-quest content which progresses the game story? Sounds good, sounds good, but you're all part of the Expanded Trashcan anyways-what? They don't give a flying rat****? **** the Disney police, we're making Risha some of the best writing in the game? Okay guys, but you're working on a legacy title here...

Oh. You're going to release another expansion that updates the storyline a few years and depicts a galaxy where the war has collapsed both the Republic and the Empire. Add a bunch of features. You're talking about it like it's practically a full game, and you've said it's basically going to be a big single-player type expansion, you can do it with friends if you really want, but...wait who are you and aren't you owned by EA? Are you allowed to say things like this?

Bioware is capable of doing a coordinated, intelligent, workmanlike job when they chose to. I don't expect them to answer big deep questions. I just expect them to know better than to let the Head Writer lock himself in his office and write the ending completely alone when the project is well-advanced. Even I know better than to let me do that; at least I get Alessia to reality-check me. And I'm not even a professional. All we know is it's a Mass Effect game. Are we dealing with the same team? Dunno. Hope not.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Patrick Weekes is in charge of Dragon Age now and I think David Gaider moved over to Mass Effect. Or I might have that backward.

Offline Luis Dias

Anyone dwell in thoughts about the trailer at all here?

Things of notice. The completely westernized shepard with the N7 logo (doh), but also, how are they jumping from system to system? Are there mass relays or not? If there are, well, that's auspicious, but if there aren't, how do they manage to go from system to system?

Also, Krogan. There are Krogan there. And jetpacks. ****ing jetpacks!

Aaaand.... reaper horns? I did listen to reaper horns didn't I? Because that instant-growth thing-like-a-city seems a tad reaper-ish to me as well.

So my guess is it's gonna be about a Firefly-esque camarederie bunch of people of different races from the Milky Way with a ship trying to figure out this new galaxy and perhaps establish a new home. It will have a quest that will be archaeological in nature, with some dark ancient secrets to find out some kind of tech or solution to any horror that gets in the way of the new Alliance colonies. If done good, it will bring back the scent of exploration of a big unknown universe with unknown dangers and so on.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Or they might get frozen on the edge of a black hole for a few thousand years while the galaxy changes and captain dylan hunt will lead them on a quest to resurrect the alliance etc...
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline LHN91

Or they might get frozen on the edge of a black hole for a few thousand years while the galaxy changes and captain dylan hunt will lead them on a quest to resurrect the alliance etc...

Wondered how long it would take for someone to make that reference  :p

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Vanguards need a Gravity Hammer.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
...how are they jumping from system to system? Are there mass relays or not? If there are, well, that's auspicious, but if there aren't, how do they manage to go from system to system?

Screw that, how in the blue blazes did they get to frakking Andromeda galaxy?

Mass relays were Reaper (or Leviathan?) tech, and they always seemed like being endemic to our own Milky Way galaxy. So, if they jumped to Andromeda via some super special mass relay - which they somehow managed to connect to, despite all (?) pre-existing relays having been wiped out by space magic, that would imply that Reapers, or the Leviathans, were much more widespread than we've previously thought.

If they didn't use a relay, then that implies that the galactic civilization has produced an effective very long range method of FTL travel, and if that is the case then they really don't need relays to move from system to system within Andromeda galaxy.

All things considered I would put my money on the latter case. After the cataclysmic ending of ME3, one of the most important things for getting the galaxy on its feet again would have been establishing reliable transportation without the relays. It seems to me as though it was always possible to travel from system to system in FTL without using relays, but since the relays were there, no one ever had the drive to develop those systems further than what was needed for effectively maneuvering within systems - from planets to relays and so forth.

Odds are that this super-FTL will use quite a bit more energy than the FTL systems used before the relay system collapsed, and considering the way resources have been mentioned, I would hazard a guess that this might be related.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I would make a small wager that the Andromeda expedition left before ME3 so that they don't have to talk about the ending at all. It was probably an anti-Reaper contingency.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well they would still need to have had a super duper faster than FTL drive to reach Andromeda within human life span, I think.  So the alternatives are that they left after ME3 when they had developed the super duper FTFTL drive, or  they did the whole SMAC skit with a generation or sleeper colony ship.

There's also a small chance that they had a super duper FTFTL drive available all along and they sent an expedition to Andromeda at some point before ME3 ending, but I don't think that fits the narrative very well.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Every weapon heatsink in the galaxy was stripped and replaced by a disposable version. The yield was transformed by Council space's entire supply of lock-breaking omnigel to create a hull capable of 'surfing' the 'great wind' produced by a team of biochemically activated biotic drell volus across intergalactic space.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:46:47 pm by General Battuta »

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Every weapon heatsink in the galaxy was stripped and replaced by a disposable version. The yield was transformed by Council space's entire supply of lock-breaking omnigel to create a hull capable of 'surfing' the 'great wind' produced by a team of biochemically activated biotic Drell across intergalactic space.

Team?  Pfft you only need one Niftu Cal.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oop I fix