Author Topic: Number of downloads  (Read 5151 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm probably not going to update this often. But I thought it would be interesting to see how many times Diaspora has been downloaded. Three figures = Windows/Mac/Linux

Strategy Informer - 1,417
Shack News - 899/186/169
FS2Sector - 514/81/67
Player Attack - 764/160/100
Atomic Gamer - 1212/224/91
FSMods - 2834/344/306

FS2Downloads - Unknown but over 2.36TB of data downloaded from the Diaspora folder so at least 1200 downloads (the patches are also on that server).

Torrents - ??? - That's the bulk of our downloads I suspect. Probably much more than the others combined since we didn't even put links up for download by any other means on the first day. Most of the site that didn't link us simply included the torrent link. But I've seen over 1000 seeds at one point so at least that many must of downloaded it.

So at least 11,500 downloads of Diaspora, and probably a hell of a lot more than that. Not bad, but could be better. Tell your friends about us if you haven't already. :)

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
so how much is Diaspora putting into the HLP purse so the admins can put HLP on a higher bandwidth hosting account when you launch R2?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
so how much is Diaspora putting into the HLP purse so the admins can put HLP on a higher bandwidth hosting account when you launch R2?
When I glanced at the stats for the hosting company, it didn't appear that we came anywhere near maxing out the pipe the machine is attached to.

Since the binaries are being distributed primarily via BT, I don't think that any upgrades to the bandwidth need to be considered at this time.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Dukayn

I grabbed it via the provided torrent file as it's less reliant on the connection to a single server staying active.

I've highlighted this to my gaming group as they are mostly all huge BSG fans and a fair few of them really like space flight games like the old X-Wing vs TIE Fighter and whatnot.

Only problem with the numbers is what about those of us downloading on multiple platforms.  I grabbed the windows version off BT and then downloaded the Mac version from one of the download sites.  But there, 1 = 2 downloads. 

The biggest problem I've seen is from people who are newer to computer games and don't remember the good ole days.  So when it comes time to try multiplayer they have to create a seperate multi-player pilot, go to the game warden site and register and then enter the info and log in.  Although with the patches that's become a lot easier and looks far better. 

Offline Brandt

Karajorma, what would you say about releasing Diaspora on Steam's Greenlight service?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Karajorma, what would you say about releasing Diaspora on Steam's Greenlight service?

i think that could go very wrong very hard

Offline Brandt

i think that could go very wrong very hard

Why? Enlighten me because I seriously don't see a downside to it, maybe I am missing something?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's always risky making Mods about things like sci-fi series etc. They usually tolerate it, but you still don't want to stick your head too far above the wall ;)

Offline Brandt

Aha, copyright infringements. :( Too bad, Diaspora deserves the biggest fan base it can get...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Not to mention the license agreement for the FS source code explicitly forbids commercial activity. Diaspora might be up there for free, but Steam is a commercial entity. It might be technically legal under the strict wording of the release, it might not, but personally, I think that we should err both on the side of caution and on the side of respect for [V]'s intention when they released the code.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It is possible to have things on Steam that are free-to-play, so that's not an issue; this doesn't address the larger concerns about intellectual property rights though.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dukayn

Yeah in the end even if you release it free-to-play on Steam, you're going to get noticed by whoever owns the BSG rights and then probably get a lovely call from their lawyers.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
:bump: for update

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's not like I have access to secret data. I just added together all the numbers from the sites in the release thread. :) The only numbers I have that aren't available publicly are the ones from FS2Downloads. And those include the patch downloads too.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I had been following this game for years... and completely missed the launch of it with other games and news. You guys should get out there and try and get some attention from the big names in the industry. With the BG show off the air, it's not a huge deal to many. But there's THOUSANDS of us fans out there that were waiting for something to come along to allow us to fly just like the show counterparts (unlike what BGO turned into).

I'll be spreading the word for sure... and I hope others do as well.
Maj. John "Theseus" Shields, CAG
9th Fighter Squadron "Headhunters"
Colonial Fleet, Battlestar Atlantia

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You guys should get out there and try and get some attention from the big names in the industry.
That's actually what they're trying to avoid :p. Yknow, C&D and all.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
I had been following this game for years... and completely missed the launch of it with other games and news. You guys should get out there and try and get some attention from the big names in the industry. With the BG show off the air, it's not a huge deal to many. But there's THOUSANDS of us fans out there that were waiting for something to come along to allow us to fly just like the show counterparts (unlike what BGO turned into).

I'm not sure where else we could promote the game. We've gotten plenty of exposure through Kotaku, The Escapist, Rock Paper Shotgun, Reddit, SlashDot, Indie Game Magazine, and some television show in Australia. I do know some industry developers have played the game and shared it from what I can see on Twitter.