Author Topic: 1st p. view with cockpit?  (Read 9090 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
1st p. view with cockpit?
I'm very interested.
Would it be possible to make animations for the cockpit?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 02:42:46 pm by 368 »

Yeap - VR means [V]irtual [R]eality

It's not quite VR u maybe think. It's just a high-resolution 3D engine intended to be used in arhitecture & technical construction. It's different from game engines because it offers realistic materials (glass, wood, cloth etc) in mean of realistic world interaction (i.e. radiosity light) and most important -  realistic object physics.

It's a bit hungry for system resources right now (on my machine it would run in only 6fps- but I never run it in full size.. just portions - kinda demos).

Well in the meani...

U got the point.. :-)
live long & prosper!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
So, in the tables, would you have a line that read something like:

+Cockpit Model: ____.pof???

yes... animations are needed. Just imagine all that leds and alive info on control panesl.... eheheh
live long & prosper!

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
just imagine the work to do such a model :p
SCREW CANON!

and fs2 was made with no work invested at all???
well.. I think it's worth... sometimes.
how much work - that much final pleasure and product quality..
live long & prosper!

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Actually the HUD is projected onto the pilot's helmet visor - ero it would be nice to just have the hud as usual - but have a button assigned to switch it off (it's already done in 3.6 I guess) - pluss a model to go with the ship.
All the displays in the model could be derived from the same data what the hud uses - but doesn't have to be the hud itself.
With ani-texturing supported I guess we could already make a cockpit, however the trick is using them with the data gained from the HUD.
Moreover most panels would have to be illuminated one way or another.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Flaser
Actually the HUD is projected onto the pilot's helmet visor -

no, no nooooooo :p
watch the FS1 intro, or even watch the personna anis during comms.
1) not enough room on those (anyway) crappy designed helmets
2) you can see fairly well the HUD in the cockpit, and it's your normal todays-like head up display :)
thinking about it, would be cool to have that, that would really improve the realism, imagine, dunno, playing fs2 with the falcon4 cockpit ( her, dunno if it's 3d, make it the EF2000 cockpit, with that wide angle view, was neat ), that would greatly improve the atmosphere of the game :)

mix this with a padlock view, and you have a winner :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm all for cockpits....
It would make a hi-tech fighter look and feel hi-tech(If you make a hi-tech cockpit that is...:D )....

Iluvathar, you didn't tell me about that VR engine...
What about the Clodia2 engine? (Clodia 1 was excellent, with hi-res textures and phiscs and all, but poorly tuned..on my machine 12-18 fps!!)...
Or do you stll plan to make that sci-fi FPS... I still have the sketches, and you still have that friend in CroTeam (creators of Serious Sam);7
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Venom
mix this with a padlock view, and you have a winner :)

Now there's an idea that could be a winner. No space sim has ever had a padlock view that I know of.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
its not on the pilot's visor

Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Wouldn't it be good if we could look around at all that stuff with a hat switch or something. Yeh, I know it's not gonna happen but still.

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Maybe in FS2 it WAS on the pilots visor, what with technology being upgraded, and all.

Those images of a traditional hud are all from FS1, after all.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
It's not on the visor, it's just that [V] went arcade (no offense, they did it well), and made the HUD all you could see.

Personally, I'd prefer a HUD similar to that seen in Macross: Do You Remembe Love?, where the HUD wraps around the whole cockpit, bubble-fashion.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Hudzy
Wouldn't it be good if we could look around at all that stuff with a hat switch or something. Yeh, I know it's not gonna happen but still.

:D

you can already do that, even w/o the SCP. yes, in cockpit view ( altho the HUD disappears as soon as you turn your head ). I think it's the 0 or the . from the numpad that allows for that.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Actually it was based on a comment from a friend of mine - he could only purchase a pirate version of FS2thoug, so no movies, no voiceove - he lost half of the fun...I wish there was another way, but hey don't due me I got it all legal and ect!
He said that the pilot puches the visor up when looking around that's the reason why you don't see the hud...
Anyway was that screenshot from Silent Threat  (I never got that one) or the original FS-intro?
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Nico

• Venom
neither, that's a shot from the descent don'trememberwhat website, lots of renders of models there ( you have a whole page for the cockpit ).
but you get to see the cockpit quite well in the FS1 intro indeed.
There's no cutscenes in Silent Threat if I remember right ( well, save for the secret folder ones, which is the most interesting stuff in the CD :p ).
SCREW CANON!

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Yeah, beside the pilot would probably have throtle control at his left hand.

niiiiiiice......

well. that's what I tought. It should be possible to move with hat. it's the easiest thing to implement. In fact, all this stuff is just messing with camera and controls. Adding support for hat control is not such a problem.

To answer trash-one: clodia is DEAD in the form u knew it. lol:-)
Clodia 2 is that VR engine, so now u're happy.

Well clodia ran slow because it used multipass terrain shadowing, bump mapping, antisotrop filtering and small textures of 2048*2048 :-))))))) lol

Guess no comp would run it faster hehehe. SG maybe?!

ghhhhh it's 8pm and I'm tired of keyboard...   896 lines o cpp code today . :-) I'm proud:-) although it was just the grunt work:-)

gonna sleep now..............
live long & prosper!

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Originally posted by Venom

:D

you can already do that, even w/o the SCP. yes, in cockpit view ( altho the HUD disappears as soon as you turn your head ). I think it's the 0 or the . from the numpad that allows for that.

:D I meant in the way flightsims work, where you look at all the lights and buttons and stuff.