Author Topic: 1_12_2003 build - Good Work!  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
1_12_2003 build - Good Work!
I have just tested the new build. The new engine trail bug is still there, but what has changed is the following:

(same test conditions as in the performance drain thread)

old 32bit build / 18_11 build / 1_12 build

Clash of the Titans II:

max FPS: 70 / 47 / 70
min FPS: 63 / 20 / 49
avg FPS: 69 / 27 / 58

To Parts Unknown:

max FPS: 70 / 36 / 51
min FPS: 50 / 17 / 37
avg FPS: 65 / 20 / 41

The performance drain has decreased QUITE a lot. It's running pretty smooth again. Its not as great as it was, but its a big step in the right direction. Keep up the good work  :yes: :yes:
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Comments for "Latest Builds" thread
I second that.  My average FPS jumped from a paltry 15fps to a smooth 23-28
-P3 750, WinXP, Geforce4 mx420 PCI, Sb live Value! 384MB RAM.-

Offline Starks

I still can't get the warp pof to work... I don't even know what it looks like. (Don't tell me to use pofviewer)
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
what, warp.pof in your data directory, I've been useing it and 3d shockwaves sence they were implemented (I am realy disapointed by the lak of suport with 3d shockwaves)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Just some shtuff.

These builds don't actually crash my computer, which makes me very happy.  Congratulations.  There are a couple of things which have caught my attention, however.

The thruster glow effect is quite nifty.  It looks a little cheesy when a non-moving ship has its engines going full blast, however.  I know this has been mentioned before, and it's certainly not a game-breaking detail, but I can't help but laugh seeing the Triton freighter in the training missions sit perfectly still while its engines go FWOOSH. :D

Memory usage seems to be higher than before, probably due to the added thruster effects.  Apocalypse in particular, with its numerous ships, is a sluggish mission, and literally crashed on me every time until I boosted my virtual memory settings.

A little off-topic, but something I've noticed in every build of FS_Open I've used so far is that it takes an enormous amount of memory to enter the barracks or the weapons/information sections of the tech room.  At first, I thought this was something inherently wrong with the code, but I've found that a virtual memory increase solves the problem.  I dunno why extra resources are needed for the barracks, as it's not much different from any other interface screen, but I assume the tech room sections require a lot of extra memory due to the animations accompanying the displayed information.  Half a gig of virtual memory was sufficient to enter the barracks, but a full gig was needed for the tech room screens.

Back to the two current builds.  I've been seeing a new, rather unusual bug involving the various in-game "counters", such as ship hull percentages, the mission timer, and even the distances to targets.  The counter in question often fluctuates values; for example, a cruiser under fire may be damaged down to 24 percent hull integrity, suddenly leap up to a higher figure like 74, then drop back down to 24 again when the ship sustains more damage.  This seems to happen when a craft is under heavy fire, since it sustains a lot of damage all at once, but I've noticed it when firing on targets by myself, as well.  The distance and mission timer changes are harder to spot, since those values are automatically changing anyway, but you can catch them if you keep your eyes peeled.  The bug itself is easy to test; Apocalypse provides a particularly useful test model, as there are three Shivan cruisers that can be monitored while they take constant damage.  Apocalypse is also useful because the supernova countdown at the end of the mission is also affected by the bug; you can watch it trying to jump to a different value while it cycles down to termination.  This bug doesn't cripple your gameplay either, though it does seem to be able to cause certain mission triggers to activate prematurely when the mission timer acts up.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
actualy I think this may be a bug in the function that actualy puts string onto the screen, see if there are any... things that have the number that the counters are getting set to, I've seen a sinilar bug in the techroom were sometimes the wrong name is in the list of ships (it'll be in there twice, one of the two should be something else) this came up shortly after RT made an improvement in the stribg rendering function, I was about to post this to the internal, but I guess I don't need to now
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Originally posted by LLivingLarge
I still can't get the warp pof to work... I don't even know what it looks like. (Don't tell me to use pofviewer)

It works fine for me. It does not look that much different than the normal jump effect, its just more 3d.

Offline Antares

Durf.  I knew there was something else I was forgetting to mention, and the duplicate ship names in the tech room was it.  Thanks. :p
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Is there still an issue with polygon limits? I created a model at 8000 polys without problems, and it works in game, but 9005 polys causes it to crash?
I can send the SCP the POF files if required :)

Flipside :D

EDIT : There also seems to be a prob with getting turrets to fire, but that may be my lack of table skillz, I'll get it looked at first ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 12:40:27 pm by 394 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Flipside
EDIT : There also seems to be a prob with getting turrets to fire, but that may be my lack of table skillz, I'll get it looked at first ;)

Happened to me too, and I didn't change any tables.  Beam turrets warm up like they're going to fire, and then warm down with nothing happening.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
This was a single test-turret mounted on the 8000 poly object, Subach HL-7 if I remember rightly. Autoturreting on PCS worked fine, Modelview sees it as a turret with a single firepoint outside the hull, and Fred2 recognises the Gunport and lets me load a weapon etc. I think I might have to play the campaign a wee bit, and see if this is universal......

Edit : Nope, not universal. I'll take a proper look at the tables before I worry about this too much :)
So the first question still remains ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 02:27:06 pm by 394 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
A couple of quick bugs. I'm using the 1_12 build.

1) I'm still getting that srange flashing texture on some ships. It seems to only occur when the poly is partly off screen. Take a look at the turret on the left.

2) Subspace appears to be very badly screwed up. I'm playing Blaise Russel's homesick campaign and subspace looks like this

The second I target a ship it turns into this

If I have no ships targeted the first image reappears. Could this have something to do with the fact that there is a file in Blaise's .vp called gamepalette-subspace.pcx. I remember that this file was supposed to stop crashes with FS2 retail but is it screwing up FS2_open?

EDIT: Nope. Not due to that file. I ran a test on a subspace mission I wrote which didn't have access to that file and it still looked the same.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 04:58:57 pm by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think it may well be related to the problem with Skyboxes at the moment, which do exactly the same thing.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
we have yet to get the stars (which includes the skybox and subspace) to draw in HT&L.  they are still using the software renderer.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline RandomTiger

Re: Comments for "Latest Builds" thread
Originally posted by Antares

every build of FS_Open I've used so far is that it takes an enormous amount of memory to enter the barracks or the weapons/information sections of the tech room.

I believe I have fixed this

The counter in question often fluctuates values;

Could you check this on the build in my sig please, I've just made a change that might sort it.

Offline Antares

The build in your sig appears to eliminate the problem in most instances, but the supernova counter still acts a little edgy.