Author Topic: 12_05_Build Problem  (Read 8018 times)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
It would be useful if the asserts when parsing ships and weapons told you what ship/weapon was causing problems.

apparently that percentage of hits assert can prevent a div by zero error or something. thats what the comment said
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The wierd bit is that it works in-game (non-debug), you can take out a couple of subsystems and the thing will blow apart no problem :)

Flipside :D

Edit : Which means it may not be this which is causing the crashing :(

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm not a C programmer but if they work the way I'm used to in Java an assert will cause errors that don't happen in the non-debug version. The reason for this is because that's exactly what an assert is supposed to do :D

The idea is for the assert to trigger if it finds something that shouldn't ever happen under any circumstances (percentages greater than 100, less than 0 etc). That way the programmer knows exactly where the problem is and can correct it. This is much easier than a normal crash where the problem with an object can show up all over the place.

Non debug builds won't have assertations turned on and therefore won't get exactly the same crash. However the problem which caused the assertation (in this case a percentage of more than 100%) can cause a different crash elsewhere in the code.

Okay C guys. Did I get close? :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Is there any way you could compile a debug version that would tell you what ship it is reading when it crashes?  I've only added one model recently, and I've made sure that doesn't reach 100%. Then I can get on and find this 2-ish minute crash thingy :D

Flipside

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by karajorma
Okay C guys. Did I get close? :D

:nod:
Originally posted by Flipside
Is there any way you could compile a debug version that would tell you what ship it is reading when it crashes?

The debug versions should already do this.  If you're getting a crash elsewhere, it's a different type of bug.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
the asserts don't tell you what ship is causing the error.  i converted the asserts converted to warnings that tell you what ship is causing problems
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Is the new version in your siggy Phreak?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
*looks at Phreak's sig dated 10/23/03*

*looks at Latest Builds thread dated 12/05/03*

:rolleyes:

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
PhReAk only updated his Inferno build, which is dated to Dec. 15th.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hyup, of course, I forgot, we all keep our websites 100% up to date with content ;) hehehe

Flipside :D

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
woo and sid wanted an inferno exe that had ht&l working to some extent
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord