Author Topic: 2 Features I'd like to ask about  (Read 2401 times)

2 Features I'd like to ask about
1. "Leeching" Missiles. Essentially, your typical "attach to target and start draining weapons and Afterburners" missile. Are these possible?

2. Is there any way to improve the Electrical effects when ships are damaged? Make them more flashy, or something?
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
the electrical effects are not to be messed with. they are supposed to be subtle and not big thick pipes.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

I understand that, but they look incredibly dull, especially when you have and ship and 10% and they're flying all over the place.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Yea, they should at least be glowy and actually look like electricity, imho.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Have you compared the electrical arcs in the most recent builds to the ones in Freespace 2? (or 3.6.5 for that matter)
-C

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: 2 Features I'd like to ask about
Originally posted by Jetmech Jr.
1. "Leeching" Missiles. Essentially, your typical "attach to target and start draining weapons and Afterburners" missile. Are these possible?

There is the "esuck" flag, but as far as I know it only works for primaries... though I've never heard of anyone trying it.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think esuck works for secondaries too. as for the ellectrical effects id like to be able to use those for model detail. add extra glopoint types that emit the electrical effects rather than glows. radius could set the maximum jump distance. electricity will jump between points within eachothers effective radius and seesntially behave like glowpoints.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Lotsa sparks at the ends of bolts too.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

I think ideally we need to have the bolts look like actual bolts from sci-fi movies. Wrath of Khan when the nacelle of the Reliant is blown off electrical arc bolts. Tesla coil. Either of those are perfect inspiration. Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Jedi Knight II and Academy all have decent inspiring bolts of lightning that might be worth looking into.

Personally, i think that the complexity (number of forks in the lightning) and the brightness of the bolts just need to be tuned up for now. Maybe add a command line multiplier to change number of variations in the arcing bolts' lines?

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Anyone know why the lightning in the game turned to big blue blocky things?  I think someone posted a pic of the effect long ago and I've finally got tired of seeing it enough to ask...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
It was changed from pure lines to quads because it killed OpenGL mode.  The problem in OGL was later fixed but most people liked the new effect (I think).  It still didn't look great but WMCoolmon added some white parts to it so that it wasnt' just plain blue with holes in the arcs.  One of the reasons I like the new effect is that it scales with the distance so a ship close up would have arcs that look larger than single pixel widths and a ship that's further away would have arcs that are tiny rather than the same single pixel width.  Basically it's more realistic in my view.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Are they a solid color, or do they have a texture? If sthey are solid would it be difficult to add texture support?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by FireCrack
Are they a solid color, or do they have a texture? If sthey are solid would it be difficult to add texture support?

No texture but not a single color either, it's two colors.  Actually I kind of want to change it to use the type of lightning arcs that are in nebula missions and would be textured.  I think that Bobboau was talking at one point about using the missile trail code instead though I personally don't like that idea since I can't see it looking as good.

I'm not sure what's going to happen but it will change at some point and should be more flexible too so that you could have different arc textures for different ships.  The lightning arcs seem like something that would be good to mod for the various projects.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Actually, it's three colors now. ;)

I guess some sort of lightning data could be added, with the overall size and color of the lines settable.
-C