Author Topic: 16:10 aspect ratio not available?  (Read 3481 times)

16:10 aspect ratio not available?
Even if I select to allow non-supported resolutions in the launcher I cannot select the native res of my laptop (1200x800) under OpenGL, any fixes?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It doesn't display all the possible resolutions with OpenGL selected for some reason. Try changing it in the registry manually.

No luck. The launcher automatically changes it back when I click Run.

edit- and when I run the exe directly I get a crash after selecting my pilot.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Don't use the launcher to run the game. Set whatever options you need to in the launcher, change the resolution in the registry and then run the exe directly. When the Launcher finds a resolution it doesn't recognize it sets it to the default 1024x768.

This can get annoying, but it works for me.

read edit above

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It might have something to do with the aspect ratio then. I thought nonstandard aspect ratios were supported as quite a few people here use 1280x1024, but maybe only that one works.

I just let the game stretch itself to 1280 by 800.  I'm actually used to it now. ;)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The deal with 1280x1024 is that, while its aspect ratio is not 4:3, it's usually applied to screens that have an aspect ratio close to 4:3 despite their pixel count.  Of course, I run at 1600x1200, but then I've got that nice CRT screen to be able to do so.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Better widescreen support is in the works (big request from OS X users) but is still a month or so from getting done.  Not terribly difficult to do (though not simple and rather involved) but there are numerous other things that are a higher priority right now so it's got to wait.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Are there any plans to fix that OGL resolution launcher bug, by the way? It's kind of annoying to reset the resolution in the registry every time the launcher is opened with OGL selected. This is actually one of the reasons I use D3D.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by CP5670
Are there any plans to fix that OGL resolution launcher bug, by the way? It's kind of annoying to reset the resolution in the registry every time the launcher is opened with OGL selected. This is actually one of the reasons I use D3D.

It has been fixed, several months ago, but due to various issues which I'm not going to discuss here (if you don't have anything nice to say...) the fixes for the resolution thing and for setting the refresh rate from the Launcher never got into public hands.  I have since washed my hands of anything Launcher related and am just going to concentrate on finishing the code for the all new Launcher and the SCP options screen updates which will allow you to change resolution and color depth, among other things, in-game.  At that point you want even need a Launcher type app unless you want to change more advanced settings or to switch mods.

I think there is already a bug about the OGL resolution thing in Mantis so you'll just have to bug RandomTiger about that if you want it fixed.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That's something I have always wanted to see rather than the current launcher/command line system. :yes: I was actually under the impression that you wouldn't be doing it since it would require making lots of new interface graphics.

I will just stick with D3D for now. The launcher seems to show all the resolutions for that without any issues.

The problem with D3D for me is specular doesn't work.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by CP5670
That's something I have always wanted to see rather than the current launcher/command line system. :yes: I was actually under the impression that you wouldn't be doing it since it would require making lots of new interface graphics.

I can handle the artwork ok, it's just not something I like doing in general.  I went to school to be an aerospace engineer so artwork and design stuff is certainly within my capabilities.  I'm certainly not as skilled as Lightspeed or DaBrain when it comes to pure art though.  Plus I've really only got the time to do coding or artwork, so coding is what I decided.

A good bit of the options screen code has been done since last year.  There have since been other demands and bugs which require changes that need the new pilot file format, that's why everything is delayed, and why it will hit all at once.  The problem with the new options screens (basically a rewrite of all of them) is that they end up being nearly impossible to change.  That's why I never put that code in CVS.  It's also why I started working out the new UI code, LUI, which will handle reading interfaces from a table and deal with the new the new ui controls as well as offer a modular design to the interface flow.  FLUID will offer a drag-and-drop, point-and-click design area for the interface screens so that it's quick and easy to customize what users get.

Originally posted by taylor
FLUID will offer a drag-and-drop, point-and-click design area for the interface screens so that it's quick and easy to customize what users get.

Awesome.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
BTW what's the in-game key(s) for activating the new techroom?

Search is buggy and I couldn't find it in the fsdoc.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
'F3'
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Actually it seems my laptop has a native res of 1280x800, I had some dodgy drivers on before. Aspect ratio is still 16:10 though (1280/800 = 1.6)

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Mine too. 16:10 is popular the most popular laptop configuration these days.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

My laptop's native res is 1400x1050...lol...and I've been thinking of using Freespace Open on it for quite some time now ;7

...but for now, I'll stick with my 1280x1024 on my PC :p