Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 581286 times)

Edit: Trying a lot of stuff for the island but totally stuck in ideas.. a village in a cave which invites to walk to all the corners to see it's wonders is hard to capture ingame!

I like the idea of leaving the outside largely untouched.  The interior might look nice with dwellings built into the walls, similar to Mesa Verde.  As to access, a rail line running underneath, with a 5x5 or 7x7 double-helix could allow access, through the bottom of the island, without being too visually intrusive.  A stairwell inside, capped by a small structure on the surface would allow access to the top of the island, in that case.  It'd be like Heward's Handy Hovel on steroids!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:16:23 pm by BlueFlames »

Offline -Sara-

Thought more in the range of steampunk meets old busy streets meets proper level design. Lots to see which invites exploration, rail-line running through paralel to walking ways. Quite fantasy-ish but appealing. Balconies and houses stick out of walls at the bottom give an extra dimension. On top of the island probably venues that need open air. Maybe druid ruins with a portal in the centre, not decided yet.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I've managed to get a Mumble server running on my VPS, feel free to use it :)
184.22.118.104:64738
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
folks on my server, myself included are using Dolby Axon.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Found intersecting chasms near 0 z-level with a mine complex breaking into it in my basement.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Registered. :D Nobody's on it seems...
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations

Ditto.  It's funny, but it seems that a heck of a lot of gamers don't know stuff like this exists, or they know of only one program for it.

WoW players seem to know of Ventrillo only (*shudder*)
Many first person shooter fans seem to only know of TeamSpeak

Mumble, while seemingly gaining ground due to many of the more popular minecraft LPers using it, is still a relative unknown, which is too bad.  IMO, it's the best cross platform (Windows, Linux, Mac) voice chat software anywhere.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft

Ditto.  It's funny, but it seems that a heck of a lot of gamers don't know stuff like this exists, or they know of only one program for it.

WoW players seem to know of Ventrillo only (*shudder*)
Many first person shooter fans seem to only know of TeamSpeak

Mumble, while seemingly gaining ground due to many of the more popular minecraft LPers using it, is still a relative unknown, which is too bad.  IMO, it's the best cross platform (Windows, Linux, Mac) voice chat software anywhere.
I've noticed lower latency and better quality sound with it, there's an android client as well, so there's no real reason not to use mumble :D
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Behold, the rare...

SKELETON RIDING SPIDER. Who were both NOT invited into my home, but have managed to crash my wicked party (seen below)

Oh you know, just removing a forest or three. Maybe four.
"No"

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
What texture pack do you use deathfun?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Here's a little taste of why my favorite Minecraft LP'er is Etho (this is his 50,000 subscriber special):

http://youtu.be/7bpAPWIpBwY
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
What texture pack do you use deathfun?

Mixcraft.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/28822-32x19-pre-2-%e2%97%84mixcraft-semirealistic-v39-working-on-pre-3%e2%96%ba/

It's not bad, but the creepers look absolutely horrid (not in the fashion they're supposed to)
"No"

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Server IP change

IP is now: 184.22.118.104:25555
Mumble at: 184.22.118.104:64738
Dynmap at http://184.22.118.104:8128

Kyad reports much faster chunk loading, I would like to hear other experiences.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:39:51 pm by qazwsx »

Offline -Sara-

Sudden!  :) New host or just changes at current host?

edit: far less lag!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:14:46 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Less lag, faster world loading and all this with dyna and mumble. Surely the server is in a happy place right now.

SO, who wants to go out to 20k and see if the server implodes?
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken