Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 581132 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Aye, seems the server is back up.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

So like, does stuff only grow when you're in the gameworld or something? I planted a bunch of wheat and like was offline for . . . 4-5 days then I go on for a bit and only one square grew to maturity. But while I was dicking around harvesting it (and throwing some bonemeal on others to harvest them) then over the course of that one day 2-3 other wheat matured. Weird.

Like is it the opposite of boiling water? Instead of "watched kettle never boils" it's "unwatched gardens never grow"?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
It's a matter of if those chunks of the world are loaded or not... if you or some other player is in the vicinity, then those chunks will be loaded and time will pass there. Otherwise, nada.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

It's a matter of if those chunks of the world are loaded or not... if you or some other player is in the vicinity, then those chunks will be loaded and time will pass there. Otherwise, nada.

Ah, I see, and how big is a chunk? Or is a chunk the area made visible by the player being there? By area made visible I mean if you dropped the player into the middle of a black area, it would reveal that square or chunk around them.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I believe a chunk is 16 blocks wide and deep, but everything from bedrock to sky in terms of height? I could be wrong though, don't quote me on that. (Someone's going to quote this post now, aren't they?)
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I believe a chunk is 16 blocks wide and deep, but everything from bedrock to sky in terms of height? I could be wrong though, don't quote me on that. (Someone's going to quote this post now, aren't they?)

not sure on the exact dimension but that is basically correct.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
A chunk is 16x16 blocks, extending from bedrock to the height limit.  At any given time, you'll have a bunch of chunks around you loaded; according to the wiki, it's a default radius of 10 chunks for multiplayer mode.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft

:D
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Okay, so like . . . basically if I wanted a crop to grow while I was playing, I should first walk to the garden area to load it, then go someplace else to build whatever I was building? Like, in MP people do mob spawn traps right to collect stuff, but if no player is online in the area then I presume it doesn't spawn? Or do people tend to leave themselves online afk so stuff goes on?

Basically what's the point of doing anything like, making a big crop if it doesn't grow while you're not around?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
If you can see the terrain, it's loaded. You know how you see the world loading square by square if you take a minecart trip and the server is slow? That.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Basically what's the point of doing anything like, making a big crop if it doesn't grow while you're not around?

Except it does grow, if you or anyone else is within ~160 blocks, which is a fairly large range, practically speaking.  Plant your crops above your mine.  Plant your crops near your current build site.  Plant your crops near your crafting bench and furnaces (which also only work, when their chunk is loaded!).  Plant your crops near a high traffic area.  Any of these options will ensure that you can do other stuff, while your crops grow.

Alternatively, gather bones and don't bother waiting for anything to grow.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
If you set up a large enough farm, you won't be in need of food too soon after you harvest.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hell, even a simple 9x9 wheat farm will give you 25 bread or so, which lasts for a while.

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
or you can plant your stuff and just go AFK and do something else in the meanwhile
then comeback and get it
Signed, me

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Alternatively, you could set up a pen, then ask sammich for some mooshrooms, which are an unlimited and instant source of mushroom stew.
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Alternatively, you could set up a pen, then ask sammich for some mooshrooms, which are an unlimited and instant source of mushroom stew.
Or he could set out on a quest to recover some from the mushroom island.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Mushroom stew doesn't stack though. Which, frankly makes it very undesirable compared to pork/beef etcetera
I've already got a mushroom farm as such so I can get plenty of stew if necessary

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yeah, mushrooms are pretty much useless in-game at the moment. The only reason I grow them is because Pecis server uses MCMMO and it's a great way of building up herbalism skills, or at least it would be if spreading wasn't nerfed.

Right now, I find bread is my staple food, wheat is easy to grow so the low hunger gain (2.5 hearts) doesn't really matter.

I mean even if you could stack like 4 bowls it would be worthwhile. I can understand not wanting it to stack 64 but even if all food stacked like only 4-12 it would be totally fine. Right now I think you have things that either don't stack, or they stack a massive amount. Which is odd.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
What puzzles me is why throwable objects, like snowballs and chicken eggs, only stack in groups of 16.