Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 577920 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I fell into a YouTube Minecraft hole last night, and after seeing such crazy stuff as a thousand-pixel display and an actual functioning game of Pong, I came across someone engaging in a project called Far Lands or Bust.  Basically, this guy is physically walking out to the "Far Lands," the area where the terrain generator breaks down and creates these huge pitted cubes of land, out around 12 million blocks from spawn.  (This behavior was changed/fixed in 1.8, so he's still running 1.7.)  He's raising money for Child's Play in the process, so it's a good cause in addition to a crazy pursuit.

Yeah, Kurt ended that campaign a few months ago with a 12-hour livestream or something like that. He didn't make it all the way to the Far Lands, though.
He must have started it up again, then, since he posted the most recent video yesterday. :p

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Okay, seriously. No more skipping stops on my rail.

I'm cutting all ties with the new plugin-reliant system for now, it's causing too many issues. The plugin, or something, has royally screwed up the boosters on my main line as well. I kind of made it clear I only wanted the new system to run on top of the old one, leaving the old one in place.

The trashmania line is also very broken for manual use. I didn't build that section, but I'll sort it out if rhx is okay with me doing so.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:04:15 pm by Swantz »
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
^ I second that. New system is causing nothing but trouble when the old worked perfectly.
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Twice I've been on as the server crashed, and whenever I relogged some time later, I'd always be back in my house (which was the last place I cleanly logged off) with a certain configuration of items in my inventory. Normally I'd simply attribute that to the server rolling back after a crash, but when I logged on just now, my inventory and position were reset, but some work that I had done around my estate has stuck.

It's a known SMP issue that's been around for many months, perhaps even a year... player data doesn't get saved as often as chunk data does. I think if you hit ESC to get to the menu, it'll trigger a player data save... it used to in single-player, anyway.

In other news, I got a bunch more done on the Fenris. I finished enclosing the front section stairwells. I removed the corridor that led to the forward lounge since it was one block too high, and am in the process of recreating it at the right height. Finally, I started and possibly finished the Security / Brig area, accessible from the drop chute area on level 7. I'm considering adding another level to it for extra cells though... there are only 4 cells in the high-security brig and 3 in the casual detention area... methinks the ship could stand to have more than that.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I made a winter house. Didn't turn out bad considering the limitations:

Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Okay, seriously. No more skipping stops on my rail.

I'm cutting all ties with the new plugin-reliant system for now, it's causing too many issues. The plugin, or something, has royally screwed up the boosters on my main line as well. I kind of made it clear I only wanted the new system to run on top of the old one, leaving the old one in place.

The trashmania line is also very broken for manual use. I didn't build that section, but I'll sort it out if rhx is okay with me doing so.
Just so people know, the long term plan for the server is to pretty much remove warping and be reliant on minecart systems. At the moment the traincart plugin isn't even active though. Fenris warp will still be up.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Any way to turn off snow locally?
It's getting on my nerves - every time I clear the walkway, the snow covers it again..plus it looks horribel on the parapets, with the snow haning in the air...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Lester

You can turn off weather rendering in Optifine and the likes of it.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
He means so that it stops forming snow on his stuff. Qaz told me quite a while ago that changing biomes is possible, and if thats the case, my place and trashmans can get fixed ^^
When Australia burned.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
(I also stumbled across a few videos for making a working portcullis, which would be awesome for Trashmania. :D)
Wouldn't mind seeing that video, got a link?

I've been using a very lightweight plugin that allows for redstone powered portcullis'.  Might be the same thing.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Any way to turn off snow locally?
It's getting on my nerves - every time I clear the walkway, the snow covers it again..plus it looks horribel on the parapets, with the snow haning in the air...
Place torches.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/217587-11-mod-mumblelink-ml-smp-mumble-directional-voip/
So, yeah, this is rather awesome

Ooooohhh..... Yesplease. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
MY Kngdom is turnign into a Winter Wonderland:

but I am making progress.
Behold hte dining room:

and hte Library:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
(I also stumbled across a few videos for making a working portcullis, which would be awesome for Trashmania. :D)
Wouldn't mind seeing that video, got a link?

I've been using a very lightweight plugin that allows for redstone powered portcullis'.  Might be the same thing.
There are a whole bunch of different videos on YouTube, but here's one of the tutorial videos I saw.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Qaz/rhz, to fix that inventory reset bug you need to employ a Bukkit plugin that forcibly autosaves various information, such as the player inventories.  It does not cause much overhead, even with very low intervals (~15 seconds).  My server ran it on a 3 second timer for a while.

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
It's been a week now and the chunk errors still arn't fixed. Is there a problem with the backups?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:04:42 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Just so people know, the long term plan for the server is to pretty much remove warping and be reliant on minecart systems.

Won't that increase the I/O?
Physical traveling from A to B means MC has to load and unload all the chuncks in between. At least with warping it only loads chunks at hte destination.

And while I understand the desire to "see the sights" and for poeple to use the railways (whoever built them wants hem used), it can sometimes be a bore and a chore to travel a vast distance - to the point people just don't do it.
Warps should be retained for far-out locations.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Just so people know, the long term plan for the server is to pretty much remove warping and be reliant on minecart systems.

Won't that increase the I/O?
Physical traveling from A to B means MC has to load and unload all the chuncks in between. At least with warping it only loads chunks at hte destination.

And while I understand the desire to "see the sights" and for poeple to use the railways (whoever built them wants hem used), it can sometimes be a bore and a chore to travel a vast distance - to the point people just don't do it.
Warps should be retained for far-out locations.

Network I/O has never been a problem, and if the server could survive rhx's rail to your place, it'll survive a normal one.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm semi-okay with only having a few warps so long as the Netherrail gets expanded a bit.  As it sits right now, getting to somewhere like Trashmania is a long hike.  And that's on top of the fact that the railway system as a whole is horrifically broken at the moment.

Speaking of, Swantz, I know you took care of most of your line, but there seems to be one spot that's still being skipped.  When I took it from town, I was automatically sent out to Trashmania/JC's, skipping the transfer to the northern line.  I would have fixed it myself, but I didn't have any of the materials on-hand.