Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 577957 times)

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Just rebuild it.

Easier said than done....

Naturally. But if you can rebuild something over two evenings for example, makes sense to just do it instead of waiting 3 weeks for an admin to show up. Or just knock it down and put a bigger, better building in its place. Though if you're not going to be on the server then there's no problem in waiting. Does anyone know who these griefers are in terms of aliases? I see a bunch of different people on but I don't know who's a legitimate player and who's a douchebag.
Sometimes, depending on the server setup, rebuilding before a mod/admin sees the damage is worse.  Besides seeing the evidence, rebuilding can muddle any tracking logs that might be in place.

I thought that there was some kind of block logging plugin running on the server already.  I'm guessing that's not the case?

Or does minecraft have the capability to protect servers via password? That would prevent unknown players from logging on.
There are password plugins available for bukkit servers, and there is a whitelist function in both bukkit and vanilla.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Note- for the south continent track

broken glass at -312, 1841
broken track and glass at -311, 2053
Urgh...I'd bet ghast nonsense.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

There shouldn't be any way for ghasts to see a player as long as they are riding in a minecart since their heads are hidden in glass.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline tommoex

There shouldn't be any way for ghasts to see a player as long as they are riding in a minecart since their heads are hidden in glass.

The first broken glass was necessary but was my fault because there was another cart on the track and I stopped dead.
The second broken track I haven't got a clue
*Insert a caption here to make yourself seem more interesting

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

The first broken glass was necessary but was my fault because there was another cart on the track and I stopped dead.

Ahh, ok then. Well, hopefully 1.3 will come out soon, and with it, the ability to self-propel yourself - albeit slowly - along unpowered tracks.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well, my graphivs card started acting up (black screen at power on) and given it's a holliday, I won't be able to repear it for several days at least.

This crappy laptop can hardly run anything, let alone minecraft or WoT or SOTS2.....
:(
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
It was a really quick fix, repaired the damage to tommoex's place easily, I will at some point in the near future look into who exactly placed the TNT, but until next tuesday, I'm still busy.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Did you give me creative back while you were on?

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
No, you have to be on at the same time.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

For the record; second broken glass was me, got stuck due to strange lagspikes, ghast attacked, had to teleport to safety; wasnt able to restore in time, sorry about that Tommoex. Just wanted to make the record straight though.

Also, its good to hear from you again Qaz! Hope to see you more on the server again too.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline tommoex

Note to Grimper

After building the hub around trash's portal, I've decided to take on building the walkway to the blaze Xp farm, after realising how dangerous Ghast are, I've done a lot of work mainly on the side of the near the blaze farm, all materials were kindly and involuntary given by Trash, although materials are still on the lacking side

EDIT: It's now basically finished, floor and frame is done, not bad work a days work
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:53:44 am by tommoex »
*Insert a caption here to make yourself seem more interesting

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Heh, I told you cna help yourself, so no problems there.

EDIT:
to whomever placed that sign on the wall: I claimed the area a long time ago and it was pretty evident where the wall would go. Even a cursory glance at dymap should have made it obvious. I won't shorten the right wall, it would just look fugly and uneven.

Hey if you guys walked 2 hours IRL from the spawn like me to start your build you wouldn't be having conflicting problems of space :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Or we could have just looked at dynmap and picked decently-open regions. :p

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Play on a multiplayer server.

Deliberately pick the anti-social area where you will never encounter anyone.

This does not make sense to me.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, thing is, sometimes it's nice just to have space, where you can mine iron and diamonds without digging into someone else's mine, or finding the area has already been heavily drained of resources. and where you can build what you like without border disputes.

Personally, I've always found the idea of zoning off an area and saying 'No Entry!' a rather curious one, we go round decorating each others houses, and I got built an awesome statue of myself outside my house by another player :D

Sometimes it's nice to be alone in a crowd without needing to interact with anyone. You can be among people but still doing your own thing. Like playing an MMO SP, or at least I assume, as I've never done such a thing. That being said I'm not of the "no entry" mindset, more just "I want to build a few things first", create an aesthetic, and then connect/open it up to the rest of the server. That way you can also control other user's interaction with what you've built. Rather than see it half built, they see it when it's completed. Maybe they also only see it via a portal for example, so they approach it from a certain preferred direction. Or you build something in the middle of no where, and months later someone exploring comes across it and is able to check it out with some interest.

So it's not about, limiting interaction. But rather having the power to determine the level and quality of interaction.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hey if you guys walked 2 hours IRL from the spawn like me to start your build you wouldn't be having conflicting problems of space :)

The area was completely empty when I got here, so there were no border disputes with anyone. I don't mind people building close to me, or poeple building inside my walls (as long as it kinda fits with the kingdom vibe) - heck, I let give who wants to build inside my walls full acess to my storage.

Does anyone know how long dropped gear lasts? I've died a few times, and gotten back to the place where I died within 5 minutes and all my stuff has disappeared. Somewhat annoying to say the least, particular if I've got a full suit of iron armour on or whatnot. (Tools and such I don't care about really)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Dropped things generally have a tendency to last five minutes when the chunk is loaded. If the chunk is not loaded, it'll stay there indefinitely until such time as someone loads it and resumes the counter
"No"