Author Topic: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!  (Read 221463 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Since you lot play often can you do me a favour?

Run this build. It's 3.6.9 Official plus an extra error message so it shouldn't give you any trouble. After you're done check multi.log for any occurrence of the word "popupdead", especially if you ran into the double respawn popup bug.

I'm pretty suspicious that a hack in that code is the cause of that one but I want to see if that code is being called at any other time.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fozzy

• Wokka wokka wokka!
  • Wanabe A Mighty Modder
    • Fozzy's Myspace
will that build work for BTRL
The Terran VolksWagen Project - Lol
"that was a little too close, we gota wait fifteen mins to change our shorts" = (snipes, FS2)
I can whoop your ass with my LOGITECH

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
... And, does that build have the -cap_object_update 0 option?  I've been using a BtRL build; I'd like to have that option.  :) 

Oh, and I noticed (well, Huggybaby noticed) in the "Experimental" options "Allow in-game joining"... does this work?  What are the problems with it?

BTW, I'm hosting tonight... (3 AM GMT - ?)... I"m on IRC until around 12 PM GMT.  If you want to play, get on IRC (see my sig), and drop me a line starting with my nick (jr2) so that it'll beep at me and get my attention.  ;)

eg:

jr2, you there?

At which point I'll hear a beep and come find you.  :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Nope since 3.6.9 didn't have that feature but I can get you a BtRL build that does. It will have a few more changes from the version that shipped with the game though.

EDIT : Here you go.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 01:41:07 am by karajorma »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Now that you mention it, the BtRL build (and, I"m sure, the 3.6.9) did sometimes have two respawn popups...  I'll check for you when I host.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Umm... just started up that build, logged in as a server, after the CRCs validated, I hit the Windows key to minimize FS2 like I always do, and this is what I got:

Error: Unable to swap buffers
Error code: 0
File:D:\C++\Freespace\fs2_open 3.6.9\code\graphics\gropengl.cpp
Line: 1650
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

Karajorma, you need to read the note I made in multi.log before the line beginning with 09/10 03:19:52~

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Absolutely none of that is anything to do with me you know.

You don't get that with the original BtRL builds? And why are you running with Transcend active?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
1) No, I didn't get that.
2) Because I'm not??

EDIT: Wait.  Umm... is the fs2_open.log created when running under a normal (non-debug) build?  If its not, then that log is from an eon ago.  The multi.log, however, was created when I ran the non-debug build, and it was 123 MB in size, filled with those lines.  :wtf:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Are you sure that's the right multi.log? If you run multi using the media VPs the correct one will be in \mediavps\Data not \Data

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I wasn't using mediavps.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Try using both builds again. Taylor may have updated the CRCs for FS2 missions and that could be the issue. I'm pretty sure I haven't touched that area of the code since the first BtRL build. So unless Turey has done something to cause this I don't know where it came from.

Offline Shade

The CRCs have been updated, but only to allow a few mission pack missions that had somehow not been included in the list of missions validated for FS2Net. So no changes to existing CRCs. That all happened within the last 48 hours or so. Now, the massive sized multi.log is a problem I have encountered too a while ago, so that is unrelated to any CRC changes. It's also in my experience completely fixed in taylor's Xt builds.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah I just tested it and got the exact same response with the original BtRL build.

If it's fixed I won't worry about it. The popupdead thing is something you should worry about though. I'll be removing that hack soon since I'm pretty suspicious it's the cause of the double respawn bug. If it is being called at any other time though now's the time to tell me. Since if you only tell me later it will be after you've been playing a game on 3.6.10 and suddenly found you couldn't respawn.

Offline Shade

I'll make sure to run that build next time I'm playing an MP game. And try to talk the others into doing so as well. So if you can keep it in until after next weekend, you should have at least some test data to work with.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It turns out the free connection at my new apartment is so crappy that I'm probably going to pay for a cable line here anyway, so I should be able to host from either of my connections soon. The worst thing about it is that their firewall seems to be blocking the Comcast SMTP server, so I can't send any emails off my main account. :p

If anyone is interested, I can host a game on Friday evening or possibly Saturday morning (well, the morning here) from my old location. If not, I should still be able to join the usual Saturday evening game as a normal player. This new connection feels as slow and unresponsive as dialup, but I can manage.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm.  Are you going to have both connections (old place & new) on indefinitely?  If so, when we get stand-alone server fixed... ;7

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I'll probably be going back to my parents' house every two or three weekends (it's a three hour drive), so I can set up something from there. Maybe I can use that rig I keep for old games, which hardly gets any use anyway and is easily fast enough for a standalone.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 11:13:53 am by CP5670 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If no one is getting the popupdead message I'll remove the hack and submit the code to CVS.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Are you interested in hosting, Kara?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Shade

If no one is getting the popupdead message I'll remove the hack and submit the code to CVS.
Can you wait until after Saturday? That's our big game day, and I'm not sure if many people have actually been testing it out much yet. I certainly know I haven't played any games during the week, simply haven't had the time.

However, you might want to ask Psychoo - He's been hosting games most days, and getting a decent attendence both from his 303 squadron as well as others (his games are open to all, which is nice. They're damn nasty to play against, though, which is not so nice :p), so if he or any of his participants have been using your build without problems then that should more than cover it as far as testing goes.

[Edit] In fact they're probably playing right now (tend to start around this time, they're mostly Polish so ahead of GMT) so you could even log onto FS2Net and ask them if they'd be willing to use your test build (if they aren't already) if you're short on test data.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 01:06:17 pm by Shade »