Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 210511 times)

Offline Unidan

• http://unidan.stickserv.net/
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Originally posted by Tiara

PCGamer... that's one.

Ok, who else? :drevil:

Penny Arcade. XD Someone drop Tycho a line, now.
I'll think of a siggie later..

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Kaz, cool it. Don't get all arrogant like he is, no one's going to "own" anyone. Just satisfy yourself that like 98% of gamers agree with us and be done with it.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
If worst comes to worst, we keep Ferrium as our own unofficial FS3.  An engine for our own ships. If we need FS2/1 ships in them, we remake them, like the persues and the Deimos floating around. He can't touch our creations. Especially since we remade the maps ourselves... Am I right?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Zarax

Theorically we could be sued for the concepts...
The Best is Yet to Come

We couldn't even release Ferrium with an entirely different Universe and then make a FS mod for it?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Couple of things, I wasn;t the one who directed people here, I was directed there myself by the first post in the thread :) I posted a perfectly polite response stating my concerns, being a member of the Freespace 2 community, and pointing people to the SCP project, which I 'thought' might be interesting to people in a gaming related site. When you asked for clarification, I gave it, and was content with your response. I even posted a defence of you right to write the game any way you saw fit should you get the license.
I then had to sit through multiple pages of you declaring yourself the 'Alpha Male' calling this forum, which I have been a member of for 3 years now a 'Cesspit' and generally being beligerent and rude to anyone who didn't automatically accept your Messiahdom.

I had to sit and watch all Freespace 'Fanboys' bunched together, those that were rude, and I am not defending them, and those that were polite, and given stereotypes by practically every person who agreed with you. That kind of stereotyping and assumption has already led to enough trouble wouldn't you agree?

Yes, after your quotes I personally wouldn't touch your game with someone elses bargepole, and I'll make no secret of the fact. I asked a polite question at first, and was perfectly satisfied with your response. You then went on to start slagging off fans, not just of Freespace 2, but 'The gaming industry in general' was you exact words, you are rude, you are arrogant and you have no manners or people skills whatsoever. If a compete stranger came along and called people that you had worked alongside for years twats, would your opinion be tainted?

I point out that whilst you mentioned that some of the posts in Avault were out of order, you went on to brand ALL people in HLP, you can deny it if you like, but calling the HLP a cesspit is not limiting your opinions to an individual.

As I said in my very first post, if you want to buy the rights to Freespace 3 and write it, good luck, I hope it sells well, since it hasn't been written I have no reason to say whether it would be a good or bad game, but I maintain my stance quite proudly, I will not be buying it, it's a tiny protest, but it's the only one I've got :)

Oh yes, and finally, I DO think you are slagging us off as a pre-emptive pimp for your own work, and I DO believe you worship money far more than quality, as direct quote..

'A Game doesn't have to be Great, it just has to make money'.

Your words, not mine, and words that betray the entire ideal of being a programmer.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 12:30:20 pm by 394 »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Crazy_Ivan80
you honestly don't want us to read all of that do you?

:p

I did read it throught. It took at least 40 minutes, but I think it was worth. There were two things I noticed(I wouldn't quote, if you don't mind):

1. FreeSpace 2 was a retail failure.
Maybe! Testers of different gaming magazines(couldn't make it with better English, sorry, I hope you know who I mean) were expecting more changes, new interface, more new ships and they degraded FS2. For example, the Hungarian PC Guru magazine gave 77% to FS2. !! But it should be realized that someone who liked FS1 liked FS2, too.

2. In the first part of his 'life story at Interplay', he told he was extremely loyal and his team is talking very highly of him. It may be true he is quite loyal, I understand it. But if you go downer in that section, you will notice him saying he doesn't do this business for money. Go downer when he starts reasoning why his prior games were not such great failures: He states they weren't failures becase they MADE money. Interesting?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Like I said on NW no court would uphold it.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Unidan

• http://unidan.stickserv.net/
More IRC goodness.

NekoUni> hehehehe everyne is like "we need to call interplay and buy the rights"
NekoUni> would we be the first mod community to do that?
DoesNotExist> Probably not, but it WOULD rock.
NekoUni> XD
NekoUni> we'd get a lot of publicity
DoesNotExist> And you could sell it to someone who ISN'T Derek Smart
NekoUni> hahahaha
NekoUni> LIEK VOLITION
NekoUni> we'd sell it to them for a nickel :D
NekoUni> because we love them so much
NekoUni> heh, rictor sums it up
NekoUni> "I also love he keeps talking about how "he" will make the game, about how "he" won't screw it up and how "he" does this and that. Yeah, those programmers, artists and designers, who work their asses off, they're just a periphery, right?."
DoesNotExist> judging from the graphics in universal combat, he does it all himself...
NekoUni> hahahah
DoesNotExist> Seriously, I'm reading a SITE on him.
DoesNotExist> he's an ass.

Blah blah me saying I should read the whole thread when I still haven't.

DoesNotExist> he also swears "i - am - going - to - destroy - (the owner of the site i'm reading)"
NekoUni> XD
DoesNotExist> Universal Combat may have made money for interplay, but it made money from the bargain bin
NekoUni> yeah
NekoUni> "I'm ACTIVELY trying to get the license and given that I had a really good relationship with Inteplay (they published my second game), it will all boil down to money and whether or not Interplay is willing to let it go."
DoesNotExist> ..huh?
DoesNotExist> Didn't he declare bankruptcy at one point?
NekoUni> LOL
NekoUni> you're kidding
DoesNotExist> Not so
NekoUni> christ, this guy is as lame as John Romero
DoesNotExist> Bingo!
NekoUni> he's got an ego like Roger Waters too
DoesNotExist> Personally, I suspect he's a pathological liar.
DoesNotExist> nice D.Smart quote: "The flaming didn't bother me much - like someone said, I'm pure carbon."
DoesNotExist> I think he missed the point
DoesNotExist> Calling him "pure carbon" would mean that Derek Smart is one big walking pile of flamebait.

That's the last log I'm posting, I swear. XD
I'll think of a siggie later..

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I find it very odd that Mr. smart makes reference to
"I have a dedicated team who share my vision. I have a highly dedicated fanbase who I know I can rely on every few years to be there when I need them most."

And yet also
"I have NO intentions of making another Battlecruiser game with a Freespace title. For that, I can use my time, effort, resources and money to develop a new action based space sim franchise that is true to the premise that was Freespace. Since I'm not in the business of developing clones, thats not going to happen"

It sounds to me as if he wants to trade on the critical respect of the Freespace brand - still one of the critically top-rated games of all time - and use that to push out his own aims.  

In other words, develop a game for Battlecruiser fans, yet with a name that actually means something in the internet.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The man speaks good, no doubt. And you know what? If he does get in touch with original FS2 V devs and gets their ongoing aid with this, then perhaps our (ignored) input won't matter. I'd much rather see FS3 come from V than from us.

But I'd also much rather see FS3 come from us than from Derek Smart sans V. I've never played his games, but the poor ratings they got are not the reason I say so. I say so because of his attitude.

So if he does get the FS IP, fine, so be it. I'll pressure Dave Baranec and anyone else I can get in touch with to influence the development as much as they can, and to help him make it into a worthy succession to FS.

If not, we'll still be around. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Zarax

If not, we will launch FREEdomSPACE 3 ;)
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Sandwich : Damn Right!
Zarax : Well, it was going to be Called FRENCHSpace 3 before the Iraq war ;)

hehehe, Sorry, I couldn't resist that ;)

Offline Sticks

I really don't mind Smart making FS3. I just won't be buying it.

The only thing that worries me are his legal threats. I can very easily see him purchasing the rights and sueing the SCP the next day. :wtf:
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Sticks
The only thing that worries me are his legal threats. I can very easily see him purchasing the rights and sueing the SCP the next day. :wtf:

And if he does sue the SCP, what will be then? They won't be able to track down the coders and punish them. The most they can do is to shut down the SCP forums and the website. That's all.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Incidentally, here's the primary reason why I have so little faith in Derek smart to develop FS3;

Gamespot
FS2 review - 9.4 / 10
Universal combat review - 5.9/10

CVG
FS2 - 85%
Universal Combat  -  45%

Adrenaline Vault
FS2 - 4.5 stars out of 5
UC - 3 out of 5

IGN
FS2 - 8.9 / 10
UC - 5.9/10

that should be enough - you can find more if you really want to.

In short, even if I liked the guy, his track record has shown him to be incapable of making a game as good as Freespace 2 was & is.  Combined with his assertion on the AV thread that coding FS3 would be 'below his abilities', I can't think of any way in I would have trust in his ability to write a good Freespace game.  Or, indeed, a good game.

EDIT; oh, and when I pointed out a myriad of bad UC reviews on the Av thread, his response was to blame the reviewers (for not 'getting it'), and then the publishers (for giving the reviewers the wrong impression - I can only guess that impression would be that is that UC would be an action orientated game....although wasn;t it suppossed to be?)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 12:38:35 pm by 181 »

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
At least this DS guy appears to be honest in his way of communication. Can't say the same for many ppl in the industry, who show a friendly face to the public, but in the end their actions will be the complete opposite of what they said.

The way to deal with such great egos is to filter away the part of their talk you don't like; arguing with them is just banging your head on the wall - no avail.

If he wants to make FS3, let him.
If it'll be good, great.
If it'll be bad, well, it (not the community stuff here) will pass in oblivion...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, he has posted 'permission' already, he said that if anyone wanted to develop a FS2 clone, the Source Code is out there, and we can feel free to use it.

In black and white :)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Sandwich
If not, we'll still be around. ;)

True dat. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Agreed.

I say let him have a go.  He deserves that much, and who knows, it might turn out ok. :nod:

We already have a backup plan, so it's no big deal.  Just wish him an his team luck, and we'll go about our business until he's done.