Author Topic: What's your favorite game series as a whole?  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: What's your favorite game series as a whole?
Yeah, I mean I could probably rightly be called a Zelda fanboy, and while there wasn't an entry in the series I've flat-out disliked, there are a few I'd easily list as not being as enjoyable as others. It's a lot to ask for any long-running series to please everyone all of the time.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
In no particular order:

FS - obvs.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Half-Life
Crysis
Homeworld
Turrican
Streets of Rage
Street Fighter
F.E.A.R. (Only the first game and it's two expansion packs Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate - F.E.A.R. 2 sucks monkey balls)

One-off favourites inc.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (recent events make me question VTMB2 will get finished)

Void Bastards

Carrion

Cave Story

Hurrican (unofficial Turrican remake)

Unreal Tournament GOTY '99 (Love it, didn't like 2003/4, haven't bothered with UT3)

Subnautica (Subnautica: Below Zero doesn't count until it leaves beta/early access etc.)

System Shock (technically there are two System Shocks, but I couldn't get on with the antiquated controls of the original or the special edition, so I have only played SS2 - bring on the SS1 remake and SS3!!!)

I may add Control to the list due to its sheer insane bat$h1tterY IF they patch the XBGPC version so it stops crashing ALL. THE. FECKING. TIME!!
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

I kind of feel like a series shouldn't qualify if there's only one good game/actual game in the series...

Offline starlord

If we are speaking beyond space sims:

-tomb raider: although to be fair, I’m mostly reminiscing on the old ones I had, which are 1 through 3.

-cyberia and cyberia 2: resurrection from Xatrix. I enjoyed them at the same time as descent. Enjoyable cyberpunk stories.

Ah, how could I forget:

The terminal velocity “series”, comprising terminal velocity, but also its win95 successor fury3 (as well as its extremely rare add on f-zone) and true sequel hellbender (which took a simplistic story and made it into something much darker).

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Doom stands as my favourite game series as a whole. Every single game in it has its moments, even Doom 3, and both the 2016 reboot and Eternal are quite entertaining to watch, so even though I don't own or play them, they still pique my interest. With id mentioning that they are creating a Doom universe, as well as the release of The Ancient Gods Part One DLC for Eternal, this is the only remaining game series that I am still observing with great interest.

The memes help too.

Other game series I considered, with the reason why I've overlooked them in favour of Doom, are:
  • Pokémon - any further interest in future developments of the series died due to Pokémon Sword and Shield's business model, aka. Dexit + DLC
  • Descent - a series in limbo, with the "latest game" being unreleased and a prequel; Overload does not count, and even if it did, Revival has no plans to make a sequel
  • RollerCoaster Tycoon - a zombie series, with every game after RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 hacking off the "spirit" of the franchise in favour of "revenue" and "rushed development"; Planet Coaster does not count
  • SimCity - a zombie series, with the latest game being a crack substitute, and SimCity 4 likely to be buried by advances in technology in the future
  • Elite - although the series is still undergoing active development, Elite Dangerous looks set to be the latest instalment for a very long time to come, being kept up to date with patches and DLCs, which I don't consider to be new games
  • Grand Chase - similar to Elite, the game's universe is still being developed, but Grand Chase: Dimensional Chaser looks set to be the latest game in the series for the foreseeable future
  • Adventures of Bouapha - any further developments in this series died with the cancellation of The Adventures of Bouapha 3: Happyponygate London, Ontario
  • Loonyland - development of the series has not advanced beyond the spin-off Loonyland Tactics, with both it and the planned latest instalment, Diwali Desert, existing only as unreleased concepts
  • FATE - inactive series since the release of FATE: The Traitor Soul
  • Star Wars - the Shadows of the Empire PC port, which is the only game I've played in this series, is non-canon
  • Raptor: Call of the Shadows - not a "series"; despite being released multiple times, it is still essentially the same game regardless of which releases I've played
  • Cave Story - not a "series"; although re-releases of the game typically add more features, they generally do not advance the development of the game's universe, and the core game in later releases is still identical to the original release
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
- Wing Commander 1-4, Privateer, Armada
- Freespace 1+2
- X-Wing Series
- Mass Effect 1-3
- Battlefleet Gothic 1+2
- Crusader - No Remorse & No Regret
- Battlezone 1+2
- Mechwarrior 2-4
- System Shock
- Homeworld Series
- Doom
- Halo Series PC

Lone Games
- Strike Commander
- Bioforge
- Battlestar Galactica Deadlock
- Freelancer
- Starlancer
- Terminator Resistance

2D Space Arcade Games
- Turrican / T2002 / Hurricane
- Raptor
- R-Type
- Katakis
- Skyforce Anni and Reloaded

Fun Fact-  those games are also complete several times while over 1k other games just sitting on a high tower of shame. Even AAA Games - not space - not on my List. Maybe i never even start them.

Non Space Game i play - World of Warships
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
-Trauma Center
-System Shock. First one moreso than the second one, actually.
-Metal Gear
-Half-Life
-Homeworld
-Sly Cooper
-Touhou
-Gran Turismo
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I kind of feel like a series shouldn't qualify if there's only one good game/actual game in the series...

There is no objective metric here ... attachment to a series can start and end for a variety of reasons irrespective of qualitiy...

Speaking of which, I think I owe this - no particular order:

- Freespace (Freespace 1 & 2)
It's basically Space Sim crossed with some of the best of Kajiu movies - esspecially Freespace 2. Also pretty baseline for here

- Larian's Divinity-series (Divine Divinity; Beyond Divinity; Divinity 2: Ego Draconis + Flames of Vengance; Divinity: Dragon Commander; Divinity: Original Sin; Divnity: Original Sin 2)
Granted they have not been good as games before Original Sin - when they actually introduced a good combat system instead doing boilerplate ARPG stuff - but it has been a joy and priviledge to have been along for the ride since the first game.

- Relic's Warhammer 40.000 - Dawn of War-series
Despite mostly being focussed on the most boring aspects of WH40k - the Imperium of Man and its Astartes defenders (although it gave us two of the greatest Chaos Champions of all time) - they rise from the pack of RTS games for me; esspecially Dawn of War 2 which brought some of the mechanics from the Company of Heroes-games to the brutal combat of the 41st Millenium - emphasis on cover and the battlefield control over the annihilation of the enemy - and jettisioned the cumbersome base building in favour of managing an force to be effective in the field, it was RTS perfection. Dawn of War III in many ways was case study of one step foward, two steps back - which is not entirely the fault of Relic as they didn't make the RTS audience.

- Relic/Blackbird's Homeworld-series
While the mission design and quite frankly the AI never quite lived up to the promise, the RTS genre moved in a different direction and all immitators failed at basic hurdles - it is not only one of the most important RTS landmarks, but also one of the game series I will forever credit for making me think much for three dimensionally for gameplay - and it I think it some times shows in my mission design when I was last playing one of the games.

- Tindalos' Battlefleet Gothic: Armada-series
While similarly afflicted as Dawn of War with a focus on the most boring and stagnant aspects of the WH40k IP in their single player content and bound to 2D spaces, the rendition of the table top game is powerful in its presentation. Also, it is loads of fun to apply submarine tactics to the multiplayer (sadly the AI is not greatly affected by the stealth mechanics). The Necron campaign of Armada 2 was particularly fun - Trazyn the Infinite is one magnificent bastard.

- Bioware's Mass Effect-series (including and with special mention of Andromeda)
It goes without saying that Bioware's honed technique of establishing a player's ownership over their playthrough is at full display here. However the original series and its world building has some dire faults (e.g. the very 19th century zero-sum game approach to galactic politics), and adressing those is partially to blame for how overstuffed, underdeveloped and directionless Andromeda eventually turned out.

- Bioware's Dragon Age-series (with special mention of Dragon Age II)
While on the gameplay front there is plenty fault to be head with each entry of the franchise, e.g. all the damn flailing - it is another good example how powerful owning your playthrough can be. Plus, more more than ME DA has a lof of contemporary ideas on its mind, which makes it that bit much more valuable as exercise in self-relfection. The rushed and often-maligned second mainline game also did some really cool things as bucked western RPG conventions, e.g. by emphasising the passage of time rather than the traversal of space.

- Nihon Falcom's Trails of Cold Steel-series
I admit, I am not a fan supporting the status quo in games I play - I've a seemingly build-in tendency to defy authority which I can let run wild in games, and much of my love of RPGs is rooted in the fantasy of toppling a status quo by whatever means I have at my disposal. But ToCS really does masterfully blend an engaging narrative with fowards momentum with connecting you to its world (even if that requires some tolerance to anime tropes); rarely did I feel it was so right to put a world back to what it was. The final game, in all its "all star game"-glory, flaters greatly in the second half and there lack continuity between 1/2 and 3/4 produces really have cringe at times.

- Capcom's Monster Hunter-series
This series is epitome of grind, but that also means it is one of the games that is really relaxing to play as a group, if all players have an affinity for playing asmetrically and complimentary roles (many of the people I game with sadly are not that calliber).

- From Software's Dark Souls-series
I enjoy the games' dark atmosphere and gothic stylings, but most of all I enjoy the control they give you to engage with the game as you see fit.

- Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda-series
The series has its highs and lows, but that is a function of the fact that it is never needed to truely repeat itself (funny to say that about a series that a returning constellation of characters across generations baked into its deep lore).

- Black Isle/Bioware's Baldur's Gate-series
While going back with the Enhanced Editions has put things into stark perspective as to how far RPGs have come, these were among the titles that allowed me to see RPGs as more than dungeon crawlers and ignited the wish for companion characters to be more than "complementary ability packages".

- Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity-series
Both games have major pacing issues but when stories are at full momentum they are awesome play through. Also the second game has bespoke sea chanties :)

There are of course a few which didn't make the cut to the list, e.g. Altus' Persona-series, mostly because I got into contact with them in later entries and therefor am not sure if I can endorse the series yet. And there are others where outside events have cast a shadow that warrants investigation before I re-endorse them, e.g. Fallout 1+2+New Vegas.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 06:57:43 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Really?

You are fan of Tiberian Twillight?

Okay, that one was pretty bad. I actually liked the gameplay and it would have made a good spinoff game, but the story was garbage. The first three games were all excellent though.

- Bioware's Dragon Age-series (with special mention of Dragon Age II)
While on the gameplay front there is plenty fault to be head with each entry of the franchise, e.g. all the damn flailing - it is another good example how powerful owning your playthrough can be. Plus, more more than ME DA has a lof of contemporary ideas on its mind, which makes it that bit much more valuable as exercise in self-relfection. The rushed and often-maligned second mainline game also did some really cool things as bucked western RPG conventions, e.g. by emphasising the passage of time rather than the traversal of space.

I liked these games a lot, but they were not quite as cohesive as a series as Mass Effect, especially since your player character was different each time. I agree that the second game had some great aspects despite its issues, like Hawke (by far the best player character) and the friendship/rivalry system.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:34:30 pm by CP5670 »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
[re Dragon Age]
I liked these games a lot, but they were not quite as cohesive as a series as Mass Effect, especially since your player character was different each time.

I actually think that having a different player character each time is one of the strong points of the series - It breaks with the idea of the "indispensible man" (masculine is no accident here) and it structurally encourages you to play each role with committment to a course of action that is right. If it Dragon Age ever does an "all-star-game" it would be intersting so see what comes of it, esspecially if you bring your PCs into ideological opposition or agreement.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I actually think that having a different player character each time is one of the strong points of the series - It breaks with the idea of the "indispensible man" (masculine is no accident here) and it structurally encourages you to play each role with committment to a course of action that is right. If it Dragon Age ever does an "all-star-game" it would be intersting so see what comes of it, esspecially if you bring your PCs into ideological opposition or agreement.

What I especially loved about DA:O, that I had never seen in a game before, the choice at the end
Spoiler:
to literally sacrifice your character. Who would then be dead. For good. DLC doesn't count...

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

2D Space Arcade Games
- Raptor
- R-Type
- Katakis

Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Heh, I figured this would be people making a case for their single favorite series or two instead of just listing off a bunch of titles, but so goes the thread.

If we're doing more than one then I'd be remiss if I didn't mention what would probably be my second-favorite series: Myst. The original game was included in one of those assorted software bundles that came with our new Gateway 2000 in 1996 or so, and my 10-year-old self was curious enough to try it out. I'm glad he did, because I was instantly blown away by being dumped into this beautiful, surreal world. (I was also inexorably lost until I eventually got a good ol' Prima strategy guide.) The sequel, Riven, was even more astonishing, and to this day its  pre-rendered graphics are still stunningly beautiful, an all-time achievement in world-building. In my mind Cyan Worlds are unrivaled masters at creating digital spaces that feel real, actually lived-in, with internal logic and mechanisms that feel concrete and plausible. Myst III and IV were outsourced to other studios (the former notably Presto, who created the Journeyman Project adventure games), and I liked Myst III in particular, but Cyan themselves were busy working on something I don't think anyone else has ever attempted: Uru Live, an MMO adventure game that told its story via real-time interactions with "actors" controlling game avatars.  It was beautiful and incredibly ambitious, yet Ubisoft (as publishers do) essentially killed it before it even had a chance at a proper release, and then after a short-lived revival on the GameTap subscription service in the late 00s it died yet again...except it didn't. Cyan is currently hosting a free donation-supported instance f the game and released its source code, and the community has been contributing bugfixes and improvements. Most excitingly, last year saw the first release of fan-created content on the official instance, with the promise of more to come in the future. The Myst fandom is small but incredibly enthusiastic and dedicated, much like our own, and I'm looking forward to seeing this little game that could continue to live on and grow.

More recently, Cyan Kickstarted and released a fantastic game called Obduction, which was essentially a Myst title in all but name and was a great burst of nostalgia. They're working on another game called Firmament right now, and I can't wait to get sucked back into one of their worlds.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I think it's honestly a tossup between Monkey Island and Devil May Cry; the former for being completely linear and yet inspiring me to replay the entire series on a regular basis (not to mention its profound impact on my childhood), and the latter for... well, honestly, just for scratching an itch that somehow none of its "inspired by" successors ever managed to scratch in quite the same way.

Yet I also feel it's important to note that my top Steam games by playtime are largely not part of a series; the number one game is Factorio, with more than twice as many hours as the second-place game (which is Terraria, which itself has twice as many hours as Starbound). Although if you add up hours spent in Skyrim and Skyrim Special Edition they'd beat out Starbound, so perhaps I should also consider The Elder Scrolls, especially given the thousands of hours I spent playing Morrowind pre-Steam.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think it's honestly a tossup between Monkey Island and Devil May Cry; the former for being completely linear and yet inspiring me to replay the entire series on a regular basis (not to mention its profound impact on my childhood), and the latter for... well, honestly, just for scratching an itch that somehow none of its "inspired by" successors ever managed to scratch in quite the same way.

Monkey Island was awesome. The first four games are really good, while the newer Telltale ones were hit or miss but had some good episodes. I have them all set up in ScummVM and ResidualVM. You can run ScummVM on a phone or tablet these days, and the games are well suited for a phone.

Any game from Ninja Theory - Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - haven't played DmC.  Love what they do and hope microsoft doesn't mess them up.

Other than that?
new Tomb Raider series is great.

Bethesda Fallout & Elder Scrolls games (SP)

Will also always love the first two Thief games, though never played the ones that came after.

Also Deus Ex (new ones)

Basically love any series where I can be a sneaky bugger.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
- Wing Commander 1-4, Privateer, Armada
- Freespace 1+2
- X-Wing Series
- Mass Effect 1-3
- Battlefleet Gothic 1+2
- Crusader - No Remorse & No Regret
- Battlezone 1+2
- Mechwarrior 2-4
- System Shock
- Homeworld Series
- Doom
- Halo Series PC

Lone Games
- Strike Commander
- Bioforge
- Battlestar Galactica Deadlock
- Freelancer
- Starlancer
- Terminator Resistance

2D Space Arcade Games
- Raptor
- R-Type
- Katakis

Fun Fact-  those games are also complete several times while over 1k other games just sitting on a high tower of shame. Even AAA Games - not space - not on my List. Maybe i never even start them.

Non Space Game i play - World of Warships

Shot in the dark, but did you ever encounter the bug in T2002 - and seemingly all of the campaigns based on it - where if you reach a certain stage and exit out the game reverts back to the first level thus wiping out everything you had done? If so, did you find a fix or a workaround?
I just don't have the time to complete such long expanded campaigns in one sitting ;-) Cheers.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
hmmm The series i love as a whole would be,

-Diablo (i've enjoyed all the games and expansions)
-Starcraft (again love this series)
-Warcraft 1 to frozen throne (my 1st foray into strategy games. Never played WOW. The series needs another singleplayer game!)
-Knights of the Old Republic (even SWtoR)
-Elderscrolls series (even ESO)
-System Shock
-Silent Hill
-DOOM (still go back to the OG with Brutal DOOM)
-Freespace
-Darksiders
-Dawn of War (hate 3)
-Mass Effect ( i even enjoyed Andromeda)
-Dragon Age
-Total Warhammer
-Hexen(heretic)
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

IDK, maybe Final Fantasy?

Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse