Author Topic: A little rant about.......Steam  (Read 14549 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: A little rant about.......Steam
And are most people going to look for either until it has happened to them at least once?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Actually, with that mod that makes it a static image, it still takes THREE to FOUR minutes to load - a STATIC IMAGE AND SOME TEXT? Why the hell does it take so long? If it's preloading game material, then why DOES THE GAME LOAD TAKE SO LONG?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
It's contacting Valve to let them know that you're starting HL2.

Nota bene: I don't know if that's actually true or not.
-C

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
While I don't much care for steam basically for all of the reasons already stated, I just make sure that if I want to play HL2 or if I format and have to reinstall it, I have an extra over-night (when I sleep) to let it do it's thing. The only thing it's got going for it is that you can open it up and it'll update completely without any required user interaction. I just fire it up, make sure it starts, go to bed, and pray to God it's done when I wake up. *crossed fingers smiley*
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
You know what? I've never had any problems with Steam. I've recently reinstalled Windows XP, and I haven't installed Steam yet, so I'm gonna do that right now and document the entire process, right here. Let's see what happens.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Starting the SteamInstall.exe now.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
That's done, now I have the olive green Steam app updating itself. For the record, I'm on a 2.5mbit/150kbit ADSL.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, Steam finished updating. About to run it from the Start menu.

EDIT: Scratch that, it just started itself. Now I input my account details.

Which I actually know. ;)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, it's logged in, and automatically updating "steam platform files"...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, all done. Now to tell it to install Half-Life 2 and Episode One, both of which I have bought legally through Steam. It says it'll take 1 hour, 52 minutes at 512kbit/s. We'll see how fast it downloads.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
It's "Creating local game cache files" and "Preparing Half-Life 2 files for install." By the way, the reason I'm posting multiple times is to get the timestamps. :p

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, now it's giving me a message that reads:

Steam is now downloading Half-Life 2. You can track the progress of this download in the Steam 'My Games' list.

You can safely close and restart Steam, and the download will automatically resume.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Bummer... it's downloading pretty slowly (relatively) - around 60-80Kbyte/s.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Just hit 1%.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
2%. Now downloading at an average of 100kbyte/s. My pipe's max is 312.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
3%. Now I'm gonna stop updating every percentage point and go get some food.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
The loading times posted are bizarre. I get from Steam -> HL2 level in 30 seconds to a minute. I certainly don't have the best machine in the world.

Have you heard of defragmentation, maybe?

Sandwich: It's a pretty big game you know, remember you can start playing it before it's finished downloading.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Sandwich: It's a pretty big game you know, remember you can start playing it before it's finished downloading.

:wtf:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
26%. I'm going to bed, as it's nearly 4am here. So much for the live reporting on when it completes. When I wake up, I'll let you know what happens.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
this is why i like having CD's, you can at least skip the download part.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------