Author Topic: A Slower Speed of Light  (Read 3301 times)

Offline watsisname

A Slower Speed of Light
A game developed by MIT to teach people about special relativity.  Relativity seems so weird and 'theoretical' to us because we don't travel at even remotely relativistic speeds.  But if the speed of light could be reduced to our pace, then it would be obvious.

A Slower Speed of Light is a first-person game prototype in which players navigate a 3D space while picking up orbs that reduce the speed of light in increments. Custom-built, open-source relativistic graphics code allows the speed of light in the game to approach the player's own maximum walking speed. Visual effects of special relativity gradually become apparent to the player, increasing the challenge of gameplay. These effects, rendered in realtime to vertex accuracy, include the Doppler effect (red- and blue-shifting of visible light, and the shifting of infrared and ultraviolet light into the visible spectrum); the searchlight effect (increased brightness in the direction of travel); time dilation (differences in the perceived passage of time from the player and the outside world); Lorentz transformation (warping of space at near-light speeds); and the runtime effect (the ability to see objects as they were in the past, due to the travel time of light). Players can choose to share their mastery and experience of the game through Twitter. A Slower Speed of Light combines accessible gameplay and a fantasy setting with theoretical and computational physics research to deliver an engaging and pedagogically rich experience.

The game also looks like a dozen hits of LSD injected directly into your eyeballs.  :wakkawakka:

Trailer and free download
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Re: A Slower Speed of Light
ow my head. it looks like an acid dream which must mean it's bedtime for myself. :banghead:
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This is what I see when my brother's driving

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I must say that this is really quite cool

As for the code being available to everyone... someone do something with it with regards to FreeSpace
"No"

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
What. I don't have the minimum system specs?! What is this?
Later: It didn't seem to matter at all. So is your speed vectorial (er, velocity then) just to make moving that much harder, or is it something else?
Freaking cool though.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
What. I don't have the minimum system specs?! What is this?
Later: It didn't seem to matter at all. So is your speed vectorial (er, velocity then) just to make moving that much harder, or is it something else?
Freaking cool though.

No no, it doesn't affect your speed, it affects the speed of light. If it affected the speed at which you where going then then you'd be bumping into everything by barely tapping the directional keys.  :p

The whole point is to show how it would like when the speed of light is relativistically much slower than it actually is. The Red/Blue shifts occur when stuff is moving away/towards the camera, and the perspective distortion is due to light entering the camera's eye-point at significantly different times... although now that I think about it, everything might be red-shifted even if you where just standing still.

It doesn't seem as cool to me for some reason... maybe its because augmented reality/simulations have been used for years?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
It's definitely vector. I start moving, then it takes me a moment to stop. I get caught trying to move forward but just ending up going in a circle around where I want go; circular motion.
On another note: when I move, distances should contract, so shouldn't you move "quicker" (the world look smaller) as you go?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Moving near c may not exactly correspond to intuitive readings.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Sorry I don't get you. Do you mean that my intuition is wrong?

There are other distortions that apply near c that overwhelm the visual effect of distances contracting.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Ah.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Very cool.  I'll need to download and try this.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Just finished, this is pretty mind-bending. Recommended.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This looks interesting. Will provide a trip report after I download and play through.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
This looks interesting. Will provide a trip report after I download and play through.
:lol:

Just downloaded, finding it a bit nauseating, but still rather interesting.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

I see what you did there.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

:( I was going to say that and make a stupid pun but I can't do that now.

I'm pretty sure playing this has given me a headache. Worth it though.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

:( I was going to say that and make a stupid pun but I can't do that now.

I guess General Battuta... :cool:
...hit 59.9 miles per hour.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Tread lightly, this game made me dizzy.