Author Topic: CIV V Announced!!!  (Read 6144 times)

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
I can't wait!  :eek:

http://www.civilization5.com/

Trailer: http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/62125/sid-meiers-civilization-v/videos/civilization5_trl_announce_022510.html?show=lo

EDIT: According to STEAM it will be available: 2 September 2010

2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc, today announced that Sid Meier's Civilization V, the newest entry from the genre-defining strategy-based franchise, is currently in development at Firaxis Games for PC. Civilization V reinvigorates the classic turn-based strategy genre with an astonishing new engine built from the ground-up for this flagship edition of the Civilization franchise. Players are introduced to an entirely new combat system, deeper diplomatic interactions and a cavalcade of expanded features that deliver a fully immersive experience providing hours of entertainment as players build and defend their empire on their quest to become the greatest ruler the world has ever known.

Civilization V takes this definitive strategy game series in new directions with the introduction of hexagon tiles allowing for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay and stunning organic landscapes for players to explore as they expand their empire. The brand new engine orchestrates a spectacular visual experience that brings players closer to the Civ experience than ever, featuring fully animated leaders interacting with players from a screen-filling diplomatic scene and speaking in their native language for the first time. Wars between empires feel massive as armies dominate the landscape, and combat is more exciting and intense than ever before. The addition of ranged bombardment allows players to fire weapons from behind the front lines, challenging players to develop clever new strategies to guarantee victory on the battlefield. In addition to the new gameplay features debuting in Civilization V, an extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements will also make an appearance.

"Sid Meier's Civilization franchise has been recognized as one of the greatest PC game franchises of all time with millions of units sold worldwide," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. "Civilization V takes the franchise further by offering players a more immersive experience with deeper strategies; heightened tactical combat; vast, realistic landscapes to explore, battle over and claim as their own; and an in-game community hub where Civ fans can share content and compete against each other without leaving the game. This marks a new era that will forever change the franchise responsible for sleep deprivation and reduced productivity for nearly two decades."

"Each new version of Civilization presents exciting challenges for our team," said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. "Thankfully, ideas on how to bring new and fun experiences to Civ players never seem to stop flowing. From fully animated leaders and realistic landscapes, new combat tactics, expanded diplomacy and shared mods, we're excited for players to see the new vision our team at Firaxis has brought to the series."

In addition to Civilization V, Firaxis Games is also currently developing Sid Meier's Civilization Network, a Civ game for Facebook. With Sid Meier leading design, Civilization Network will offer yet another option for world domination to both the casual gamer and the biggest fans of the series. It's another way to access the famously addictive world of Civilization.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:41:04 pm by jdjtcagle »
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Now if only Civ IV hadn't stopped working for me.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I want Sim City 5 :(

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I have too much of an itchy trigger-finger to play games like this as a rule, but it's still good to see another iteration of the series.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Maybe this one will be worth a damn. *walks away grumbling about a $%^#$$#^# immortal spearman destroying a squad of modern tanks.*

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
HEX BOARDS!
**** YEAH!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Maybe this one will be worth a damn. *walks away grumbling about a $%^#$$#^# immortal spearman destroying a squad of modern tanks.*

Or a squad of Panzers winning against two squads of modern armor ;7

el hombre vicio...

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Finally a hex map. The lack of that is what I've always figured to be one of the biggest lacks in Civ games.

Too bad the graphics look crappy, I'd choose the looks of Civ 3 or Call to Power over that any day.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Or a squad of Panzers winning against two squads of modern armor ;7

I had a veteran battleship loose to a galleon.... :wtf:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I just hope the new versions make the transitions between eras a little less abrupt.

Also, what's the best special unit in civ IV?

el hombre vicio...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Depends on when you are planning to do some big offensive actions. Personally, since I try to do all my fighting near the end of the tech tree, I am quite a fan of the Panzer.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline jdjtcagle

I just hope the new versions make the transitions between eras a little less abrupt.

Also, what's the best special unit in civ IV?

As far as finishing the game quickly on higher difficulty, I would say that the legion is probably the most overpowered.  I'm a fan of early Cho Ko Nu myself.
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Too bad the graphics look crappy, I'd choose the looks of Civ 3 or Call to Power over that any day.

Well, it's still an early beta.

Though those roads are fricking ugly.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Legions are overpowered?  They've been that way since at least Civ2.  Years ago, a friend was playing Civ2, and he had advanced all the way to the modern age.  He takes a destroyer, and sends it up against a legion.  The destroyer won, but it went down to less than half health.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Depends on when you are planning to do some big offensive actions. Personally, since I try to do all my fighting near the end of the tech tree, I am quite a fan of the Panzer.

I agree on the Panzer strategy, I tend to build up my techs before attacking.

In civ I have two favourite units, Panzers and Samurais.
el hombre vicio...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

I agree on the Panzer strategy, I tend to build up my techs before attacking.

In civ I have two favourite units, Panzers and Samurais.

Civ 1 it was funny to lob nukes around in the 1800s
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Civ 1 it was funny to lob nukes around in the 1800s

Oh yeah, the nukes... I remember how pissed Queen Elizabeth was at me when I nuked her city from a sub :P
el hombre vicio...

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I never thought that nukes did enough damage.  Maybe I'm not using enough of them.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline jdjtcagle

I never thought that nukes did enough damage.  Maybe I'm not using enough of them.

They are wonderful on stacks of doom.  I don't care how many troops the opposition has you keep a spy on them, send a nuke, and clean up the mess.  They do plenty of damage :D
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

They do, throw it onto a populated and very well defended city, then wait a few turns to strike.

I remember they sent an Ironclad to hunt my sub after that :P, I now realize I spent a LOT of time playing that game.
el hombre vicio...