Author Topic: Preliminary test - Satis Freighter  (Read 9505 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Preliminary test - Satis Freighter
Usual bit of info here; I'm not responsible if you do something stupid and break your PC with my file. If you try to sue me, I'll attack you with a spork, yadda yadda yadda, multipart turret by FireCrack, rest of model by me and Volition.

Playtest:

http://game-warden.com/raa/freighter04.pof
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline redmenace

Looks good rah
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Sporks dont make good weapons, the prongs are too short, and it's too shallow for spooning out eyebrows.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by FireCrack
Sporks dont make good weapons, the prongs are too short, and it's too shallow for spooning out eyebrows.

Eyebrows? I'd have a humorous picture here, but for a PSP crash.

Anyway.... it looks oversmoothed in a few places where it should be faceted, but the actual geometry looks pretty solid. Good stuff.

I've got a stis mission here actually - will test now.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Well, it seemed to work OK - didn't crash FRED or FS2, fired its guns etc. etc. Only problem was in FRED - it wouldn;t let me dock it to any cargo.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Eh? That's Bizzare...

The only part that I see that needs to be less smooth, is the bit on top, that's bumped out. Silly Max, didn't wanna do that on it's own. Ah well, next revision.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Umm, i meant to say eyeballs.

Anyways, yeah. Looks nice.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

SCREENIES, you nit! ;)

As an aside, damn sexy HTL job, there.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 07:44:57 pm by 1802 »
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Didn't stop me seeing one in the 'deposit dangerous weapons here' box at Stanstead (Alongside a surprising number of switchblades)

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
:lol:

Lookin' good, Raa. Nice.... :yes:
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I took a detailed look in MODview and have determined that the shield parameters need to be augmented by 0.1 in all directions.  Also, the engine glows need to be moved further back to about -52.  I also reset the firepoints on the multi-part turret to 0, -9.7, 0 with a -1 Y-normal.  I also did some additional minor changes to the other dorsal and rear turrets, but nothing major.  The subsystems needed some re-placement and resizing to match the original.  I also raised the dockpoint and its associated path point a bit.  Raa, If you want, I could zip it up for you and send it your way.  Even if you make some additional gemometry or other changes, you could import the pof data from my copy later.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Considerring I just used the original pof data anyway (and wasn't aware it had a shield :wtf: ) That could be a good idea. :yes:

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Well, simply importing pof data from the :v: original mesh doesn't always lead to exactly identical placement.  If you load up your current copy in modview and compare to the original in subsystem placement and size, you will notice some discrepancies.  I've zipped up the file and PMing you the link now.

Later!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Try the link again. Shading should be fixed, as well as the correct placement of subsystems and the like, thanks to Trivial Psychic.

The legal bits above still apply.

http://game-warden.com/raa/freighter04.pof

DL and be happy. Should you get odd crashes or anything like that, PM flood Strattcom, as he knows how to fix that. :D

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Hmm... the shading looks much better, but itstill can't dock with any cargo. However, neither can [V]s Satis.

Um, is it possible that the Satis was never able to dock with anything? If so, might be an idea to fix that - though it strikes me that someone should have noticed by now...

Can someone else check nd make sure it's not a computer problem at my end?
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I noticed this with the :V: model too.  The Satis' docking restrictions make it behave more like a transport than a freighter, despite the flag.  When I want a Satis to have a cargo module docked with it, I usually either A), make it a Ma'at, dock the cargo, then change the Ma'at to a Satis, or B ), place the Satis, place Isis, dock the 2, then change the Isis to a cargo module.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
The way i see it is that the satis is it's own container. It was never meant to carry around seperate containers, an all in one deal!

Sure, the effieciency is questionable, but i'm sure the vassies have their reasons!
actualy, mabye not.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Grade A1 quality :yes:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
The way i see it is that the satis is it's own container. It was never meant to carry around seperate containers, an all in one deal!

Sure, the effieciency is questionable, but i'm sure the vassies have their reasons!

More of a transport. If it had cargo attached to it, the Terrans would never have mistaken it for a warship.

Offline Raptor

Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
I noticed this with the :V: model too.  The Satis' docking restrictions make it behave more like a transport than a freighter, despite the flag.  When I want a Satis to have a cargo module docked with it, I usually either A), make it a Ma'at, dock the cargo, then change the Ma'at to a Satis, or B ), place the Satis, place Isis, dock the 2, then change the Isis to a cargo module.

I've always thought that the Satis should have been the Vasudans transport, rather than that tiny Isis.

Then again, I think all transports should be at least 80m long, and all freighters closer in size to the Triton.

Raa, Fist download I tried had messed up textures in Modelview.  Didn't try ingame (long story), but I'll try this one (once I get time...)
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'