Author Topic: Requesting advice for capship turning  (Read 1431 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Requesting advice for capship turning
i am having problems with a mission i am doing for my TBP campaign and the problem is a Warlock destroyer is getting attacked from behind by 3 raider battlewagons so what i want to do is have the warlock turn round and face the first battlewagon so i can fire its forward beams simple enough, i have created a waypoint path so that the ship slowly turns round making it bit more realistic, but for some reason when the ship gets to the first waypoint in the path the nose raises up and the ship goes upside down and does the rest of the waypoints upside down and even when it is finished it still isn't pointing to the enemy ship despite the waypoints are leading to right in front of it. At first i thought i might have the waypoints to close together  so i increased the gap, still no difference, so i then tried using just in waypoint near the enemy ship still get the same problem, i just can't get the warlock to face the battlewagon without doing some crazy barrel roll. I have also used the change facing object sexp with no luck it just spins round and doesn't face the chosen ship. So dose any have any tips or advice, i am using the FRED 3.6.9 build.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Shade

Re: Requesting advice for capship turning
I can't believe I'm saying this, but... try ai-chase. It might do the trick if there's enough distance between the two ships. Let it run until the ship has turned to approximately face the target and then use clear-goals to prevent it from doing something stupid later on.

[disclaimer] No, I'm not recommending using ai-chase for capship combat. Doing that is a recipe for frustration.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
What are the ships orders?  Is it just set to do the waypoints or waypoints and attack?  You may need to have it get it to the waypoint where it is facing the right direction before ordering it to attack.   Try making a test mission with just the ship doing the waypoints and see if that works.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Another option would be to put a single waypoint behind attacking battlewagons.  Tell it to fly to that waypoint, then clear goals after its come about.  Obviously, you'd need to find out how much time it takes for such an about turn to take place, so you know when to clear the goals.  You may also need to chose cap-waypoint-speed if it comes about too quickly.  Naturally, such a change would change the rotation time.  Unfortunately, none of these can guarantee that the Warlock won't change its orientation during turn and come out on it side, but it should be facing the correct direction.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
cheers i'll give them a try tomorrow to tired now, but for those asking the ship has no orders, it just jumps into the area, about 1 minute the battlewagons jumpin behind and thats when the warlock is supposed to turn round with the waypoint-once sexp.

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I got it working, turns out it was the speed of the destroyer, i slowed in down to 10 instead of its normal 50 and that seems to done the trick, cheers Trivial Psychic  for that suggestion.