Off-Topic Discussion > The Classics

Let me............... Tel-e-port you!

<< < (4/85) > >>

Bobboau:
I don't see why our environmental needs are much of a handicap, we are extremely good at manipulating it.

Kosh:

--- Quote from: General Battuta on October 29, 2009, 03:21:30 pm ---
--- Quote ---We are finely tuned survival machines that have evolved to survive in a niche on one particular planet in one particular epoch. Even our own planet is unimaginably hostile to our kind of life for most of its history.
--- End quote ---

This is one of the reasons that I find most SF in which mankind spreads across the galaxy remarkably silly.

We're an incredibly niche solution, even with the benefit of technology. Something much more rapacious and much more adaptive would probably do a lot better (something that needn't haul around a bubble of its absurd niche environment.)

--- End quote ---

Actually it isn't so silly given that we can create our own artificial habitats, such as the International Space Station or in the not too distant future a real moon base. A more down to Earth example is modern nuclear submarines. They can stay submerged I've heard from 8-12 months (correct me if I'm wrong, but either way it is a very long time). Now, doing that is 100% unnatural, yet we do it anyway.

--- Quote ---And what's with the hate-on for humanity here recently?
--- End quote ---

Indeed. One thing the nature worshippers don't get is that "Nature" is not gentle kind and loving, but rather (if it can be anthropromorphized) it is a cruel sadistic ***** that's out to get us, and at one point almost succeeded. 99.9% of all the animal species that have ever existed have been wiped out in one way or another. Of course I'm not saying that we should pollute our environment to death because it is still our life support system to a degree, but we should most definately NOT worship it or even respect it. We are at the apex of evolution on this planet, we shouldn't forget that.

Scotty:
I'm okay with not worshipping it, but not respecting it is completely different.  Respect is not deference.

Rodo:
So, what's to argue about this :P ? We are well aware of our limitations when it comes to survivability outside of our optimal environment, yet I think what makes us good candidates to conquer the universe is that, aside from all other known life forms, we are actually able to manipulate our environment and even taking it with us into space.

Yeah, we are lame, but we are still the best out there ^^

General Battuta:

--- Quote from: Kosh on October 29, 2009, 08:55:51 pm ---
--- Quote from: General Battuta on October 29, 2009, 03:21:30 pm ---
--- Quote ---We are finely tuned survival machines that have evolved to survive in a niche on one particular planet in one particular epoch. Even our own planet is unimaginably hostile to our kind of life for most of its history.
--- End quote ---

This is one of the reasons that I find most SF in which mankind spreads across the galaxy remarkably silly.

We're an incredibly niche solution, even with the benefit of technology. Something much more rapacious and much more adaptive would probably do a lot better (something that needn't haul around a bubble of its absurd niche environment.)

--- End quote ---

Actually it isn't so silly given that we can create our own artificial habitats, such as the International Space Station or in the not too distant future a real moon base.
--- End quote ---

Yet we can't build our own self-sustaining biospheres. In the future we probably will be able to, but the fact that we need to is itself a major handicap.

--- Quote --- We are at the apex of evolution on this planet, we shouldn't forget that.

--- End quote ---

Not yet. We're the current dominant species, but we haven't held that seat for very long.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version