Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 40602 times)

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I bought it, i just left the Vault on sunday. Not got back to it today as i'm at work.

/discuss :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I won't touch that blasphemy even with a 10ft pole :P

End of discussion

EDIT: Thought I'd clarify, just in case someone starts calling me NMA'er: :P
Imagine a certain Not-So-Smart person took a hold of Freespace's IP rights, and then he'd make That-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named. On this game, Shivans would have yellow glows and were pacifists, Vasudans would wear pink clothes and curse left and right. Oh and terrans would start having spikey ships and couldn't fire beams because of space rights laws...
That's Fallout 3... :P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 05:09:00 am by Raven2001 »
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I'ts the closest thing i've got to a system shock 2 that works on any of my systems. I just try to "detach it" from the others. The others are excellent. This is ok :nervous:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Meh ok your call... if you can call "close to System Shock 2" the ridicule we see in Fallout 3, then I'm sure you will have no problems enjoying it :P

I for once hate to be treated as a moron in a game
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous

End of discussion
Glad you know how much it sucks without ever playing it. FO3 is possibly the best game to come out in 2008.

21 hours played and barely touched the main plot yet.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
In case you didn't follow it, there were (and believe there still are) various gameplay videos, a by-product of the XBox version pirating some days before release... so no I didn't have to play it to see how much of a dumbfest they made the game :P

Raven is a god.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Gameplay over story, I like VATS. the whole sequence of being born, using the "i'm special" book, and doing the aptitude test to refine my character..  All that was unparralelled :p
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
In case you didn't follow it, there were (and believe there still are) various gameplay videos, a by-product of the XBox version pirating some days before release... so no I didn't have to play it to see how much of a dumbfest they made the game :P
I'm just gonna blink here and be awed by such stubborn stupidity.

Bethesda finally nailed it with FO3. I really doubt there's a game studio out there that could have done a better job in making the game a reality.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I like it all, from the pip-boy swaying slightly as you look at it, the radio broadcasts, to the way when you leave the vault you're blind just like the information in the book describes :D
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

I loved the 3 original Fallout games(yes Tactics, you too) and from what I've see Fallout 3 looks pretty sweet. I won't likely play it because my computer is too old to run it. Radeon X800 video card that ran Oblivion just won't cut it I believe. Someone who owns the game please prove me wrong and tell me you haven't had performance loss compared to TES4.

Anyway we fallout fans should be happy for what we get. No one is going to make a real Fallout 2d isometric ultra interactive game anymore. Nonetheless i hear the new game is pretty deep and will be the evolution of the series.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Bethesda finally nailed it with FO3. I really doubt there's a game studio out there that could have done a better job in making the game a reality.

Uhm... ever heard of... I don't know, Obsidian perhaps? Or perhaps even CD Projekt. Talk about me being stupid uh?

But hey! I'm sure you're pretty happy playing it, pretending you're having extremely morally deep situations and real challenges ahead of you. So carry on, and be happy... I know I'm happy too :P

Anyway we fallout fans should be happy for what we get. No one is going to make a real Fallout 2d isometric ultra interactive game anymore.

Well, not every "fallout fan" (if there's even an universal definition of that term) asked for a isometric and turn based RPG. That's a common mistake people make (no doubt because of reading from the same style of sources, instead of crossing info from both sides).
In fact if you'd read a bit of NMA's (its Fallout's HLP so to speak :) ) forums, you'd see that many many fans don't have much of a problem.
The big gripe however, is not only the lack of respect for the established cannon, unoriginality, but also the "hand-holding", lack of "unforeseen consequences", lack of deepness, lack of decent dialogue, etc.

Raven is a god.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Uhm... ever heard of... I don't know, Obsidian perhaps? Or perhaps even CD Projekt. Talk about me being stupid uh?
Obsidian did some great job with KOTOR2 and NWN2, though I wouldn't call either a masterpiece. CD Projekt's Witcher is an awesome RPG and I really applaud to the amount of dedication they showed to their fans by releasing the special edition a year after the original game.

But hey! I'm sure you're pretty happy playing it, pretending you're having extremely morally deep situations and real challenges ahead of you. So carry on, and be happy... I know I'm happy too :P
Of course I'm enjoying the immersive world, fun combat, dangerous enemies that can bite my head off if I'm careless, the roleplaying elements and all the little touches the devs put to the game. I expected FO3 to be average like Oblivion, but was really positively surprised. At least I've given the game a chance instead of judging it a horrible blasphemy without never actually playing it.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Obsidian did some great job with KOTOR2 and NWN2, though I wouldn't call either a masterpiece.

Funny that you only mention their 2 games where they had to "follow orders", and also interesting enough their 2 worst games (Kotor 2 not in the sense that it was a bad rpg, but in the sense that LA rushed it out of the door. Wouldve been one of the best RPG's ever if LA didn't interfere)... You didn't play MotB for example?

And please confirm that I got it right... you're calling Fallout 3 a masterpiece? If so, what makes you say that? I'm genuinely curious

Of course I'm enjoying the immersive world, fun combat, dangerous enemies that can bite my head off if I'm careless, the roleplaying elements and all the little touches the devs put to the game. I expected FO3 to be average like Oblivion, but was really positively surprised.

Oh it has roleplaying elemenets... maybe that's why its a masterpiece. I'd never thought of seeing roleplaying elements in a roleplaying game.
And aparently it takes a bit more to surprise me than you :P

At least I've given the game a chance instead of judging it a horrible blasphemy without never actually playing it.

Well I'm sorry you have to spend 50$ in order to judge a game.
I for my part prefer to read what every side has to say about it, watch other people play (gameplay vids, both from the devs and from players), hear what both devs and players have to say about it, cross reference everything, and make my own conclusions. One thing's for certain, I'm not wasting my money on something unless I'm absolutely sure it's worth it. And in this particular case, from all I've seen and read, I'm absolutely sure Fallout 3 is not worth its value in money. Perhaps I just have higher\different standards when it comes to games.

But to each his own. Like I said, have fun with it.

Raven is a god.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I should've called this Fallout 3 FANS / Positive discussion. I get that you don't like it for numerous reasons, but re-iteration in a text based forum is pointless as it's on the record now.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Funny that you only mention their 2 games where they had to "follow orders", and also interesting enough their 2 worst games (Kotor 2 not in the sense that it was a bad rpg, but in the sense that LA rushed it out of the door. Wouldve been one of the best RPG's ever if LA didn't interfere)... You didn't play MotB for example?

And please confirm that I got it right... you're calling Fallout 3 a masterpiece? If so, what makes you say that? I'm genuinely curious
As I recall, Obsidian Entertainment has only produced those two games thus far, plus the expansions for NWN2. I'm fully aware that their origins are in Black Isle, but they are a different company. And yea, it's sad how especially KOTOR2 was rushed out before it was polished.

I haven't played either of the NWN2 expansions yet, though I've heard MotB is a lot better than the original campaign. Gotta find the time to try it out sometime

And finally no, I'm not calling Fallout 3 a masterpiece. Far too early for that. I am calling it a good game though, as I've had a total blast playing it and for the first time in a long, long time I've wondered how the clock can be 1am already.

Oh it has roleplaying elemenets... maybe that's why its a masterpiece. I'd never thought of seeing roleplaying elements in a roleplaying game.
And aparently it takes a bit more to surprise me than you :P
You seem to misread me on purpose. It is a RPG of course, with elements from other genres. The blend works for me just fine.

Well I'm sorry you have to spend 50$ in order to judge a game.
I for my part prefer to read what every side has to say about it, watch other people play (gameplay vids, both from the devs and from players), hear what both devs and players have to say about it, cross reference everything, and make my own conclusions. One thing's for certain, I'm not wasting my money on something unless I'm absolutely sure it's worth it. And in this particular case, from all I've seen and read, I'm absolutely sure Fallout 3 is not worth its value in money. Perhaps I just have higher\different standards when it comes to games.

But to each his own. Like I said, have fun with it.
Of course you have to try the game to judge it. The positive comments and reviews encouraged me to buy FO3 and I haven't regretted it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, I have to agree, you gotta play a game to judge it.

I doubt it'll live up to Fallout 1 and 2, but taken on its own it may be worth it.

Offline aRaven

End of discussion

EDIT: Thought I'd clarify, just in case someone starts calling me NMA'er: :P
Imagine a certain Not-So-Smart person took a hold of Freespace's IP rights, and then he'd make That-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named. On this game, Shivans would have yellow glows and were pacifists, Vasudans would wear pink clothes and curse left and right. Oh and terrans would start having spikey ships and couldn't fire beams because of space rights laws...
That's Fallout 3... :P

I'm just gonna blink here and be awed by such stubborn stupidity.

Ignorance at its best. How I hate such people.

The game is REALLY awesome! I'm pretty much addicted to it. Personally I think it's even better than the originals.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I love em all, not because of the backstory but because each game's good in its own right. Fallout 3 is no different :yes:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
I should've called this Fallout 3 FANS / Positive discussion. I get that you don't like it for numerous reasons, but re-iteration in a text based forum is pointless as it's on the record now.

I was merely replying\discussing about Lt. Cannonfodder's points of view, with minimal to no bloodshed... If it doesn't live up with your expectations of my opinion of the game, I'm sorry, but perhaps you should've named the topic as "Fallout 3 praising" IMO.
Isn't a negative opinion worthy of discussion nowadays? In fact I can't conceive a discussion without diverging opinions :P

Also, I don't see where I'm re-iterating. I've started from a general premise and then engaged myself in a healthy discussion with Lt. Cannonfodder, in which we are replying case by case to our points...

I haven't played either of the NWN2 expansions yet, though I've heard MotB is a lot better than the original campaign. Gotta find the time to try it out sometime

That explains it, you'r really missing out by not playing it yet... in fact NWN2 almost seems like crap compared to MotB imo.

And finally no, I'm not calling Fallout 3 a masterpiece. Far too early for that. I am calling it a good game though

Yeah that's it... simply good is not what I expect from a game nowadays. :\
And notice I didn't even go with the "what a sequel should be" argument. I'm trying to stay clear of that one for sanity's sake :D

You seem to misread me on purpose. It is a RPG of course, with elements from other genres. The blend works for me just fine.

I did, I just couldnt hold myself. Apologies though.
Seriously now, I have no problem whatsoever with the blend either. Like I said in a previous post, its the blandness and degradation of the setting that I have gripes with.
For instance, from what I've seen, Deus Ex was a much better game than this... and its what? 7 years old?
Vampires: Bloodlines was also, despite its inumerable bugs and horrid (in RPG terms) final chapter an excelent FPS\RPG... write me, or even show me via footage an example of comparable dialogue (both NPC's and character lines) in terms of quality and soul in Fallout 3... no in fact give me 10... just one isn't enough in a game that big.

Of course you have to try the game to judge it. The positive comments and reviews encouraged me to buy FO3 and I haven't regretted it.

Well, if we were discussing movies I'd agree with you. Staying clear of reviews (because well I don't consider most reviews the least professional in terms of journalism), and "online Joe's" opinions, Trailers don't say anything about movies. You do have to see the movie for yourself to judge.
I don't agree whan it comes to games for the simple fact that gameplay footage tells you all you need to know about a game: gameplay, visuals, writing\dialogue quality, voice acting quality, setting and atmosphere. Only thing you don't get on gameplay footage is you pressing the buttons, but really that's the least of my worries when it comes to an RPG.
From all the footage I've seen of Fallout 3, case by case:

- Gameplay: standard FPS\RPG hybrid, with the exception of VATS... VATS slo-mo sequences look boring as hell 90% of the time.
I hate it that the game gives you so many hints (both subtle and flat out slapped in your face) about the consequences, what to do, etc.

- Visuals: good, but outdated. Not really a problem for me to be honest. The animations however... ugh.

- Writing quality: cliché, boring, bland... few actual deep choices.

- Voice acting: mixed feelings: some NPC's sound like they came straight out of oblivion, others are good enough (not excellent), other's are downright awfull (I still have nightmares about Mr Burke's voice acting... in the worst sense)

- Setting and atmosphere: Well the setting is clearly very little Fallout: Orcs (I mean super mutants), Holy Knights (I mean BoS), etc. I'm really not one to complain about them being in the west coast, or that they have a visual evolution. However, when they start resembling medieval fantasy factions I must say we have a problem. Yes I know the BoS have the outcast faction which adheres to the original BoS code, but just the fact that the majority of West Coast's BoS folks turned over to Holy Knights is insulting to say the least. It simply shows that they wanted to have familiar names, but they didn't like the faction's themselves.
Also the fact that there's a S. Mutant breeding center that does exactly the same as FO1's one manages to break my suspension of disbelief.
Still on the setting there's some stuff that is indeed interesting (atleast the concepts of them) in the fallout setting, like Megaton, Rivet City, and others.
Visually, despite visual inconsistencies regarding the originals, the atmosphere isn't bad... However the horrid animations and poor writing completely ruin it for me.

So yeah, I believe gameplay videos are more than enough for me to judge a game

The game is REALLY awesome! I'm pretty much addicted to it. Personally I think it's even better than the originals.

Yes because the originals didn't have so good graphics, and only a few NPC's had voice. Also their lines were much longer so they forced you to read alot...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:08:16 am by Raven2001 »

Raven is a god.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I like what I'm hearing about this game. There are a lot of people complaining about bugs and stability issues, but the game itself seems to have many good ideas. I will play it once I'm done with my current crop of games.

I haven't played the previous games, although even if I had, I would judge this game on its own merits like I always do.