Author Topic: FFVIII on Steam  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
One of the best console RPGs is now on Steam. Square even cleaned up the graphics a bit. Just a warning though, the music is a bit glitched, but apparently SE is patching that. Anyone else getting the rereleased FFVIII?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Is there anything in there that can't be achieved with the Y2K release of FF8 and mods ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Quote from: Thread Title
FFVIII

One of the best console RPGs is now on Steam.

Does not compute.  Error.  ERROR.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Where everything started going wrong!
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

does it come with a 'director's cut' edition that just plays spoony's LP at you so you can appreciate the bullet you dodged
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
VIII seems like the most divisive title of the entire series from what I understand...some people loathe it entirely, while others consider it fantastic.  It's kind of a different case than VII, which is either the Best Thing Evar or overrated as hell depending on who you ask.

Offline Lorric

VIII seems like the most divisive title of the entire series from what I understand...some people loathe it entirely, while others consider it fantastic.  It's kind of a different case than VII, which is either the Best Thing Evar or overrated as hell depending on who you ask.
I enjoyed it a lot. I wouldn't buy it now just because they put a bit of spit and polish on it though.

Anyway, anyone who likes RPGs and doesn't do consoles could do a lot worse than give FFVIII a try. Read some reviews if you want. It averages just under 90% on Gamerankings:

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps/197343-final-fantasy-viii/index.html

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The thing is it, kind of straddles the line between the point where writing beyond a freshman high school level fanfic started to be expected in games, something that Final Fantasy has struggled with.

At the same time, it's also where the series seemed to lose its grasp on basic narrative structure, a failing that would later assert itself extremely painfully with Tidus and Vaan. (Or everything about 13's narrative.)

Viewed on its own, it is perhaps forgivable, viewed in the evolution of the series and JRPGs in general, a reaction of "MONSTER, FLAY THE FLESH FROM HIS BONES! LET HIS FATE BE SO HORRIBLE THAT THE UNIVERSE ITSELF SHALL SHUDDER IN HORROR!" is sadly one very easily rationalized.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I have a problem with any RPG that gets significantly harder the more you level up in expectation of a fight.

Tactics managed to be forgivable with this, VIII did not.

I enjoyed it a lot. I wouldn't buy it now just because they put a bit of spit and polish on it though.

Anyway, anyone who likes RPGs and doesn't do consoles could do a lot worse than give FFVIII a try. Read some reviews if you want. It averages just under 90% on Gamerankings:

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps/197343-final-fantasy-viii/index.html

come on man you should know better than to put any stock in the numerical rankings assigned by the gaming press
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Lorric

I have a problem with any RPG that gets significantly harder the more you level up in expectation of a fight.

The bosses had a max level. They'd stop levelling after awhile.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

Which doesn't change the fact that the game is harder for a level twenty character than a level nineteen character.

If I have to either purposely stay at as low a level as possible or invest an obscene amount of time to do well, then something is clearly wrong with the design.  The power-growth of a character should not be an inverse bell-curve.

Offline Lorric

Which doesn't change the fact that the game is harder for a level twenty character than a level nineteen character.

If I have to either purposely stay at as low a level as possible or invest an obscene amount of time to do well, then something is clearly wrong with the design.  The power-growth of a character should not be an inverse bell-curve.
In my experience playing through the game, some normal enemies got easier and some harder. I guess because weak enemies were getting smaller boosts on levelling than you were, while powerful enemies were getting stronger.

Anyway, once you get strong enough, you can draw a ton of magic and beef your stats, then you should have no problem. There are a lot of useful skills for your GFs to pick up as well from levelling, so levelling is generally beneficial. I found myself getting stronger overall as time went by for most of the game. I imagine only once your stocks of magic are full, and your GFs abilities have been learned, will you really start feeling the stronger normal enemies getting stronger.

I am against the principle of enemies levelling with you in games, but for me, FFVIII, it just works somehow.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Only if there's a way to skip all the combat and dialog.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Only if there's a way to skip all the combat and dialog.

I'll send you screenshots of the game art (from Google) if you send me the cash to buy it (which I will instead spend on something else). :D
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The thing is it, kind of straddles the line between the point where writing beyond a freshman high school level fanfic started to be expected in games, something that Final Fantasy has struggled with.

At the same time, it's also where the series seemed to lose its grasp on basic narrative structure, a failing that would later assert itself extremely painfully with Tidus and Vaan. (Or everything about 13's narrative.)

Viewed on its own, it is perhaps forgivable, viewed in the evolution of the series and JRPGs in general, a reaction of "MONSTER, FLAY THE FLESH FROM HIS BONES! LET HIS FATE BE SO HORRIBLE THAT THE UNIVERSE ITSELF SHALL SHUDDER IN HORROR!" is sadly one very easily rationalized.

FF8 was the first Final Fantasy (and pretty much the first JRPG) I ever played. As such, it holds a certain nostalgic value for me, and there are times when I still catch myself thinking about playing it again, but once I start and am confronted with the prospect of grinding battles for spells (or grinding the world map for them), I quickly lose interest in it.

It's a game that, at least for me, has not aged well at all. Its flaws were forgiveable at the time I first played it, but having been exposed to other, better games in the meantime (even from the same series!), I find myself unwilling to play it again.

Now, I would actually pay good money for an english language version of FF9 (Which is a game that I didn't much like when it came out due to its vastly different aesthetic), since that's a game that has actually aged remarkably well over time IMHO. It's certainly one I am replaying every now and then, just because it's way more fun than 7 and 8.

What I would also pay money for is an HD version of FF12; Unlike NGTM1R, I found 12's narrative to be a remarkably coherent and relatable tale, especially when compared to the likes of FF8, or the whole mess that was FF10/FF10-2.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I got about an hour into X before shutting off the system and burning the disc in effigy, myself.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Quote from: Thread Title
FFVIII

One of the best console RPGs is now on Steam.

Does not compute.  Error.  ERROR.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (x infinity)

FF is on a downward spiral of suckiness. Plots and characters so redicolous it's physicly painfull.

But believe it or not, I want more of Final Fantasy. Because it's so amazingly horrible it's funny.
It's kinda like wathching The Room (by Tommy Weiasou) or a bloody trainwreck. There is just something fascinating about disasters of an epic scale.

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Lorric

I got about an hour into X before shutting off the system and burning the disc in effigy, myself.
Why? I really enjoyed X. VII, VIII and IX, loved them all. X-2 was decent, for a half price game, no more. Had a few good moments, and had some utterly cringeworthy moments. The wheels came off for me at XII. Square-Enix is a joke today. I'm just wondering what could make you ditch it in an hour. XII lasted at least 8 hours with me I'd say before I dumped it.

It's interesting seeing all the different points of view. If you like memorable characters and place a priority on them in RPGs, you might want to steer away from Final Fantasy in general. For me, it's always been the Worlds and the weird and wonderful creatures and battle systems that have sold me on these.

But Square-Enix today are an absolute joke.

Can't wait

(And VIII is on my wishlist, waiting for a really good sale.)