Author Topic: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)  (Read 115208 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)
I don't think there are any showstoppers in 3.7.4 that would impact TBP in any way, but you have a good point there. BTW, if you need help putting this together, I am definitely willing to help out.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)
Cheers. I might need help with any model errors I encounter. My skills with PCS only run so deep.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:46:11 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Quote from: OverDhill
Why would anyone object in bringing TBP up to the standards that FSO is now?

That's a really well worded question! Because FSO is now - finally - in a good place. I won't comment any further on where it was before. But now there are Swifty's awesome deferred lighting builds. They're well worth targeting a new release at. I've seen a couple of extremely stable builds and the aesthetic difference is staggering. Even without new geometry.

So would TBP be able to take advantage of Swifty's deferred lighting? What other graphic improvements might TBP get from using 3.7.4? I am a graphics junkie and try and get older games looking their best for my simpit.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:09:01 am by OverDhill »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So would TBP be able to take advantage of Swifty's deferred lighting? What other graphic improvements might TBP get from using 3.7.4? I am a graphics junkie and try and get older games looking there best for my simpit.

Deferred Lighting and shadows basically come for free when using the new engine (in terms of effort required to set them up, not in terms of performance, obviously). With 3.7.5 builds, TBP would also benefit from the PBR shaders and HDR effects introduced recently, again without any sort of work on the assets beyond that required to make those assets work correctly on the new engine version.

Offline wesp5

Deferred Lighting and shadows basically come for free when using the new engine (in terms of effort required to set them up, not in terms of performance, obviously). With 3.7.5 builds, TBP would also benefit from the PBR shaders and HDR effects introduced recently, again without any sort of work on the assets beyond that required to make those assets work correctly on the new engine version.

Wow! Then we really should target 3.7.5 once the asset issues and missing campaigns are sorted out. Also OverDhill, what a great Starfury cockpit! Self build?

Yes I recently updated it to get ready for 6DOF Sims like Star Citizen and Descent Underground by adding a new custom built controller for the left hand. It is universal and the second monitor can display extracted data like gauges and MFD's if available (Helios and UDPspeed for example)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Wow! Then we really should target 3.7.5 once the asset issues and missing campaigns are sorted out.

Well we'd have to target 3.7.6 not 3.7.5 if we wanted TBP to have those features out of the box. That's not impossible given how slowly I'm making progress but targeting 3.7.4 might mean getting things out the door faster.

We'll see how things go once we're getting things fixed.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And the thing is that 3.7.4 compatibility basically assures that TBP is compatible with 3.7.5 and future releases (unless we find some previously unknown bug that 3.7.4 was unable to detect).

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
As we have merged in SDL2 now, the next release is now planned to be 3.8.0, so none of this 3.7.6 nonsense ok?  :)

I've played a little TBP+Zathras tonight, noticed some bugs on 3.7.0 that may or may not still be issues, mostly campaign stuff but some asset stuff.  Is there a Mantis?  I'll at least document them here for reference:

Campaign:  Raider Wars

First mission:
The last briefing is cut off.  The voice acting does not cover the entire presented text.  Not sure if the text was modified after the VA work, or what, but the display time needs to be increased so a person with reasonable reading speed can finish reading what isn't spoken.

Second mission:
After a few tries to get all the goals accomplished, I did so well that I disabled the carrier that is supposed to jump out before you can disable it.  A protect or whatever on it and its engine subsystem should prevent me from stopping it.  At least, when I did blow it up, it allowed the mission to end as all hostiles were eliminated, even though the debriefing still said it escaped.

Also, on the second mission, the breaching pods behave very oddly.  One keeps ramming into the Hood's turrets and seemingly getting stuck, and the other, on my third play through when I had things clicking nicely, didn't even manage to dock with the freighter even though it had approached it.  Like it bounced off and had to go for another pass or something.

Lastly, an asset issue (possibly).  When blowing up the carrier, its 3d shockwave did not have working transparency.  The area behind it was washed out in solid black, and for a good ways leading out in front of the visible parts of the shockwave.  This issue might be a 3.7.0 thing that's already fixed, not sure.  Can't run on newer versions without some of the fixes people have been working on to get the game in a running state.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Whoa, there hasn't been that much activity in the TBP subfourm in years.

also: Hi IPA, long time no see!
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Any progress being made? Babylon 5 room on Facebook is pretty active and many expressed interest in this game.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I've been having an issue running FRED recently but I was planning on doing something about this over this coming week.

Offline wesp5

Any update on the state of TBP 3.5?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm still waiting on SVN to really get started on this.

Offline wesp5

I'm still waiting on SVN to really get started on this.

Is this necessary as long as you are the only one working on the main code? Also where will it come from or who would provide it? What did the Zathras team use?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Having an SVN is something I and many others consider absolutely essential to making mods. The TBP svn will be provided by rev_posix and Zacam, who are already hosting svns for many major projects (like Blue Planet, Diaspora, BTA, the MediaVPs....)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Is this necessary as long as you are the only one working on the main code? Also where will it come from or who would provide it? What did the Zathras team use?

The reason to have SVN is so that I'm not the only person working on it.

Offline -Norbert-

Any chance a moderator can cut all the insults and explanations of what went wrong in the past out and move them to their own thread?

I just wanted to read up if any progress happened, not read a smaller scale repeat of the soap opera from years ago.

Offline wesp5

The reason to have SVN is so that I'm not the only person working on it.

So another month has gone by. Has any progress been made? Is a system like this really necessary? Maybe there are only a few issues with the new builds that can be fixed by yourself in a short amount of time...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I was at least under the impression he'd already identified more than a few issues that needed addressing.  And having some kind of version control is a necessity for any real group progress to be possible these days.  That said, I don't know why that would take this long to get set up on the place the other TCs are using these days, unless they're not accepting new projects at the moment or too backed up with other tasks.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays