Author Topic: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)  (Read 115199 times)

Offline wesp5

Re: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)
I meant more about how to advertise we exist to B5 fans.

There is an active Babylon 5 Facebook group, but I think the best way to reach new players is to actually release new Babylon 5 stuff! So if you got some things fixed for TPB 3.5, just go ahead and release a beta that could be announced on Blues News or in the Facebook group or elsewhere. Don't mind if the release isn't finished, it's all about showing people that there is still work going on!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)
Releasing a beta with more bugs than the current release would be a very bad way to get new fans.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I meant more about how to advertise we exist to B5 fans.

There was a lot of interest in the Facebook Babylon 5 room when I mentioned it. It just needs to be easy to install for a lot of those people.

Offline wesp5

Releasing a beta with more bugs than the current release would be a very bad way to get new fans.

Why would there be more bugs? I thought most of 3.5 was just about compiling all the files together.

Offline wesp5

There was a lot of interest in the Facebook Babylon 5 room when I mentioned it. It just needs to be easy to install for a lot of those people.

Exactly, and I thought this was all what TPB 3.5 was about! No more installing TBP 3.4b, then Zathras, then the builds, then my patch, then missing campaigns...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Why would there be more bugs? I thought most of 3.5 was just about compiling all the files together.

And you think that's going to happen magically without introducing problems? Especially as you seem to be suggesting we release it to the general public without even bothering to test it?

I was under the impression that it would also be made to work with the current FSO builds. I just went through the process of installing a fresh copy of B5 and it is way too difficult currently for most new fans that might be drawn to play it. At least make it as easy as Diaspora to install.

My wish list would be that it would be given some love and look as nice as the current FSO does and have its own installer or be part of the current one.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:54:08 am by OverDhill »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That's the eventual idea. But releasing beta builds to the general public is a bad idea. If you want to do that, get them to download the releases that already exist. At least there we already know what the issues might be and how to solve them.

I certainly am not advocating sending beta out to the general public. People have waited this long so whats a little more time to play test an upgraded version which I am sure they would rather have.

After all The Babylon 5 Project is without doubt the best B5 game ever done. And from the reaction I saw I doubt many B5 fans even knew about it.

You guys would know better than any what possible improvements that would be seen by migrating to the nightly builds. I would think maybe things like the nebula might be possible to upgrade.  Just throwing ideas off the top of my head.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well I don't plan on releasing until Knossos is finished anyway. It would be rather silly to release the game and then have to do a new release to fit in with that. It also has the advantages of making it more likely that B5 fans stick around to play the other games on this engine.

Offline wesp5

And you think that's going to happen magically without introducing problems?

Yes, if we would only use the builds and files we know are working :). But what is this about waiting for Knossos to finish? Is this a new build or something?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:29:37 am by wesp5 »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
New launcher/installer platform.  Hopefully will be much less error-prone and more user-friendly than any before.  And natively capable of managing any number of total conversions all from within itself.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Just checking if there has been any progress with this?

Offline wesp5

So how long will it take for Knossos to be finished? Because already over a year has gone by since the idea to make a new TBP release and nothing at all has happened! Maybe IPAndrews might have been right after all that you sometimes have to cut feature creep or stop waiting for others and just have to get the damn thing out of the door ;)...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:26:14 pm by wesp5 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well if someone else want to get the ball rolling that would make it easier for me. 

My biggest problem is proving to be getting everything into SVN so that I can start getting changes made. I have access to the old SVN account that was used in-house but getting stuff from there to the HLP on is proving to be a complete PITA.

Personally I would not wait for Knossos. I prefer the wXLauncher over what I had seen in Knossos the last time I checked. Certainly not anything to wait for. Hope things go better for you trying to get going.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Couldn't disagree more. I might not wait for Knossos to be ready but Knossos is what I've been saying the freespace installler needs to do for at least 7 or 8 years.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
My biggest problem is proving to be getting everything into SVN so that I can start getting changes made. I have access to the old SVN account that was used in-house but getting stuff from there to the HLP on is proving to be a complete PITA.

Is that something you can explain how to do in a message and point me at the work?  I might not understand what I'm doing, but if there's clear instructions, I can batch (with or without an actual batch to help me do it; I can has do the robot very well, with high-to-perfect accuracy).

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Was just gonna say, I have 100mbit Charter with no bandwidth limit, I'm sure downloading an SVN repository and uploading to a new SVN host is within its abilities.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Yet another reason to get B5 running with the latest nightly builds. There is a SweetFX that now supports OpenGL.  I have tested it with IL-2 1946 BAT as well as Freespace 2 Open and it helps a lot.