Author Topic: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)  (Read 115208 times)

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Re: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)
If MAG changed any RW missions (which might not even be the case), we probably want to look at the changes and see if they should be included before we release.  Assuming any changes are relatively minor, no sense in releasing an inferior campaign that will be improved later.
Edit:  we should be able to settle this pretty quickly.  I'm not sure what changed files we're talking about here but whoever has them should look through and see if Raider Wars in in there.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 11:54:08 am by PIe »
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline wesp5

Re: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)
If MAG changed any RW missions (which might not even be the case), we probably want to look at the changes and see if they should be included before we release.

I don't think that MAG changed Raider Wars missions, but I noticed that presidentEMW.ogg is in the main data folder and he included this as well, so there might be files being overwritten...

Offline wesp5

Okay, I have created four new folders with all my stuff in the TBP 3.5.1 Temp_Folder and commit them right now. You can take a look whenever you like and integrate them into the main mod! I fixed them all up so that they should run without errors...

Offline wesp5

Re: TBP Graphics Distortions
Speaking of old versions, how far is the Knossos 3.5 release? Is it good to go to open beta or open access?

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Re: Re: TBP Graphics Distortions
Speaking of old versions, how far is the Knossos 3.5 release? Is it good to go to open beta or open access?

Ooh, I have been looking forward to this :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Rather than continually asking when it will be done, ask what have you done recently to help.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wesp5

Rather than continually asking when it will be done, ask what have you done recently to help.

I fixed three campaigns and a lot of single missions and never got feedback what happened with them! If you don't have the time to even do the two main campaigns, maybe make it open beta and have other people do it. Or release my stuff as a base so that TBP 3.5 at least is visible to everyone on Knossos...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:24:32 am by wesp5 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It is an open beta. Other people can do it. Hell I even gave you SVN access so that you could help commit stuff and fix problems with the main campaign.

The problem I'm having is exactly the one you had, no feedback.

Offline wesp5

It is an open beta. Other people can do it. Hell I even gave you SVN access so that you could help commit stuff and fix problems with the main campaign.

I have no time for the main campaign right now and I thought it was a beta open only to people that ask for access.

The problem I'm having is exactly the one you had, no feedback.

That's why I would recommend to put everything out there we already have. Raise interest. Get new people into it...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I have no time for the main campaign right now

And I've had a similar lack of free time recently. Hell, I haven't played anything on my computer this month. But I don't see how releasing a limited, bugged version of a game that already has been released will help matters. It just means spending what little time I do have on support requests instead of actually fixing things.

Offline wesp5

But I don't see how releasing a limited, bugged version of a game that already has been released will help matters.

I have fixed and tested Mag's Io Training Wing campaign, which is a great tutorial, his Star Fury Pilot missions, which are the best single missions out there, and the cool First Ones mini campaigns for Vorlons and Shadows. If we could release 3.5 right now with these working, people might rediscover the game and ask for more and we might find candidates to test the big campaigns! Unless there are still general issues to fix, in which case I can't help. I'm still unlucky with the SVN too, when I click on update it lists some stuff and then "Completed At revision: 39"! Does this mean I'm up to date? I still have missions in a data subfolder and a tbp_core subfolder. Which one is correct? Shouldn't the data folder be removed? Shouldn't tbp_core be renamed to core_data or something similar like all the others?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You're up to date.

If you're saying that you can run TBP and the campaigns you've mentioned in debug without receiving any errors then I agree that going over to those missions for an initial Knossos release might be a good idea. If you can't do that, then I don't see how switching is worth it. We'd still have the exact same problem that we have with Raider Wars and the additional danger of missing assets caused by switching over. Raider Wars does work as far as I know, it's just that I've been too busy of late to go through the missions and make certain that there are no debug errors.

So the question is, does everything work in debug in the campaigns you've mentioned?

Offline wesp5

So the question is, does everything work in debug in the campaigns you've mentioned?

As far as I remember yes. I had to change a lot of background images but that was about it...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Why would you need to change background images? Everything should already be in the TBP core files.

Offline wesp5

Why would you need to change background images? Everything should already be in the TBP core files.

I had to rename them, not actually change them. This is what I meant! Most background planets and nebula have new names in the Knossos version...

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
I'm not a fan of releasing without a real campaign, and I'm going to back this up by actually testing at least one mission of RW today.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq

[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship

Offline wesp5

I just tested the Achen flying school with fast debug and it works fine! There is only the question if we shouldn't move that to the single missions slot as it isn't really a campaign and people might get confused when it ends after one mission already...

Offline wesp5

Update: I started testing the Raider Wars campaign and immediately ran into a problem, as RW_Logo.ogg was not found in listing when starting the campaign according to the debug window although it was displayed just fine after continueing! I also noticed some folder structure problems: It seems the data subfolder is the active one and the tbp_core folder can be removed! Also I had another data folder inside the main data folder that could be removed as well! Furthermore I would recommend to rename the date folder to core_data to keep it consistent with the others.

Besides that the mission went fine and I had no other issues :)!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:29:13 am by wesp5 »

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Update: I started testing the Raider Wars campaign and immediately ran into a problem, as RW_Logo.ogg was not found in listing when starting the campaign according to the debug window although it was displayed just fine after continueing!
That's a minor problem with FSO, not TBP.
I also noticed some folder structure problems: It seems the data subfolder is the active one and the tbp_core folder can be removed! Also I had another data folder inside the main data folder that could be removed as well! Furthermore I would recommend to rename the date folder to core_data to keep it consistent with the others.
I'll explain in an edit later but it has to be structured like that for Knossos.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
While I'm not a mod, I'd rather we continue on the original thread and wesp5, whenever you want to talk about this project, could you not hijack any new B5 thread?
See https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=92118.msg1881543#msg1881543