Author Topic: [FIXED] Stuttering on "modernish" hardware  (Read 1470 times)

[FIXED] Stuttering on "modernish" hardware
Hey there,

First of all, i like to congratulate everyone involved on this project. It's amazing! I've been looking for a good new space combat game, spent a few bucks on newer titles (E:D I'm looking at you) and always asked for refund because it was nothing like i was looking for.
For my surprise, FS2 was and I'm over the edge to found about this project and the wonders that you folks made it. That's what i want! Incredible game, incredible determination of you guys here.

So I'm running the latest FSO and launcher, on updated graphics card drivers and AMD Catalyst. Eveything is wonderful and smooth, except for a few stuttering moments when i move my mouse very fast, like in combat.

I researched on the forum's history and tried most of the fixes that applied to my case, but nothing helped, so i made a debug log and found a few errors. Maybe related, maybe not, idk.

I'm running on a Intel I7, with switchable graphics Intel HD4000/ AMD Radeon HD7700 2GB / 8GB RAM/ WIN 8.1.
AMD Catalyst version is 15.6 Beta (already tried to switch back to 14.12 Omega but nothing changed).

Can you guys help me with it so i can fully enjoy this wonder that you maintained?

Thanks so much in advance.

[attachment deleted by nobody]
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:37:35 pm by zeziv5150 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Stuttering on "modernish" hardware
i made a debug log and found a few errors. Maybe related, maybe not, idk.
If you mean these:
Code: [Select]
Wokka!  Error opening file (scripting.tbl)!
TABLES: Unable to parse 'scripting.tbl'!  Error code = 5.
Wokka!  Error opening file (interface.tbl)!
WMCGUI: Unable to parse 'interface.tbl'!  Error code = 5.
Wokka!  Error opening file (armor.tbl)!
TABLES: Unable to parse 'armor.tbl'!  Error code = 5.
Those aren't actually "errors"; they're missing files that aren't actually supposed to be there for the regular FS2 campaign with the MediaVPs. TBH, we should probably make these spurious "errors" stop going in the debug log.

So, to be clear, the stuttering only happens when moving your mose quickly? Not if, for instance, you fly the ship with a joystick (if you have one) or the keyboard?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Hey!
I'm sorry, the stuttering happens both with mouse and keyboard (i don't have a joystick).
Also, it doesn't need to be "fast movements", but let's just say that it happens in every 45 degrees rotating to any direction.
So if i'm chasing a enemy rotating upward, it stutters in almost regular steps along the rotation.

I made a huge search here and took note on every possible test/fix that could relate to it. It'll be a looong friday night  :banghead:

Offline Yarn

To help us better understand what's going on, try playing with the framerate display enabled (in wxLauncher, Advanced Options -> Dev Tool -> Show frames per second on HUD) and pay attention to what it's saying (and do NOT use a debug build while doing this!). After that, do the same thing again but disable V-sync (in wxLauncher, Advanced Options -> Game Speed -> Disable vertical sync). During the second test, you may notice "tearing"; this is normal when V-sync is disabled.

Once you've done that, tell us what you saw in the framerate display in both tests.

EDIT: This isn't related to your problem, but you somehow installed the MediaVPs to MediaVPs_2014/MediaVPs_2014. It's supposed to go in MediaVPs_2014, not in another subfolder with that name. Failure to install the MediaVPs to the correct location will break a significant number of mods.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 05:33:17 pm by Yarn »
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Hey!!!
I made a checklist of possible fixes and found one that worked for me so far!
The lucky one was disabling GLSL in the launcher. After that, it all went very smooth!

What i did try with no results:
- Running on windowed mode
- Disable V-Sync (in launcher and in Catalyst, in every combination)
- Shutting down antivirus
- Checked original FS2 VP files on folder
- No data2 or 3 folders
- Deleting the adv VPs and AnimGlows from the MVPs

The FPS were stable, switching really fast between 59.x to 60fps.

What should i do about the MediaVPs_2014 folder? Deleting and reinstalling or just moving the folder?

Offline Yarn

What should i do about the MediaVPs_2014 folder? Deleting and reinstalling or just moving the folder?
Just move all the files in MediaVPs_2014/MediaVPs_2014 to MediaVPs_2014, and then delete the extra MediaVPs_2014 folder. After you do that, restart the launcher if it's still open and reenable the MediaVPs mod.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Re: [FIXED] Stuttering on "modernish" hardware
Thanks Yarn!
Now everything is perfect and i'm having a blast playing this. It's simply awesome!
Until a next Freespace-like quality game comes up, i hope the devs continue to work on it.