Author Topic: The Darkest Dawn is Cleared for Launch  (Read 183641 times)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Re: The Darkest Dawn is Cleared for Launch
Head-on jousting has always been problematic in a WC game, unfortunately we don't have much of a choice. In older WC games, you could use afterburner at an oblique angle, and rely on at least a second or two of drift to keep carrying you at an angle while you turned to shoot at the target. WCS, thanks to Freespace physics, doesn't really allow that move (there's no real drift when turning during/after afterburner), at least in the ships I've flown so far.

Given that, your only option is to decide whether you feel luckier than the AI pilot (who is always going to just barrel straight at you guns blazing).

EDIT: I also point out that occasional shield-ignoring seems to happen plenty often in Freespace as well, especially during high-speed head-on attacks.

Offline Genoism

• WIP FS3
Have you tried adjusting the joystick deadzone?  I think the mouse/joystick deadzones are linked somehow.
unfortunately i don't have a joystick so it wont let me calibrate anything.
Well i was able to lower the deadzone in-game but it helped only a little. Honestly, its completely unplayable with the mouse. It took me 5 minutes to take out a single pirate....But I play the regular freespace on hardmode no problem.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:50:04 pm by Genoism »
After much debate I decided quotes are a waste of time.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
More observations:

* While the mission design is overall good, the missions are long and some seem to go on forever. Some 6-7 minute missions interspersed with the 15-minute marathons would have been nice.
* I know it's not your fault that the Ion Gun sucks, since it sucked in WC3 too and you had to stay true to the original game, but I still hate it. If only Origin had given the Arrow a second pair of lasers instead of the ions...
Spoiler:
The mission with the Valkyries was pure awesome from start to finish. Wagner Commander! YES!
* The Paktahn, Vaktoth, and Sorthak certainly totally outclass the Grikath and Jalkehi from WC2. I'd like to fly the Vaktoth sometime.
* IMO the engine wash on the Kamrani is really, really excessive, it makes it hard to take out its engines quickly.
* Why didn't Confed upgrade some of the WC2-era fighters like the Sabre and Rapier, which are in terms of agility, speed, and armament equal or even better than the WC3 equivalents (compare the Hellcat to the Rapier--the Rapier is faster, more agile, smaller in target profile, and has a much better gun loadout), and the Arrow is supposedly an extremely old design itself? It made sense for the Victory to have a very limited selection of fighters since it was an old, small, junky carrier that got hastily shoved back to the front, but a modern strike carrier? I would have loved to fly a fully WC3-spec'd Rapier and I think some of the expanded universe/novel stuff supports this.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

More observations:

* While the mission design is overall good, the missions are long and some seem to go on forever. Some 6-7 minute missions interspersed with the 15-minute marathons would have been nice.

You forget about Wing Commander 3.  Some of the missions right before the Behemoth is destroyed and shortly thereafter are LOOOOONG and really, really HARD (if playing on Crazy or harder--and what man shouldn't?).  I remember a couple where there are 50 kills to be had in them and taking thirty+ minutes a try.  They were intense.  One of them I ended up ejecting on--my only ejection the whole game.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I've just looked throught game files and found shield icons for Saltha, Jalkethi and something called "Cutlass". Why weren't they included?
Also, there's a hint of a dedicated Kilrathi HUD.

I've just looked throught game files and found shield icons for Saltha, Jalkethi and something called "Cutlass". Why weren't they included?

Hmmm looks like a left-over from earlier days.  It looks like the Pre-WC1 Cutlass class, but I never worked on it.
Also the Grikath is there, as is some of the Wc4 stuff (probably from the demo a year or so ago)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:08:24 am by Scooby_Doo »
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
WC4 stuff might have been a leftover from the demo. WC2-era cat fighters are still unexplained though.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
WC2 Cats are also leftovers from parts that where cut or that didn't make sense. In the entire development time we have gone through so many stuff I can't remember where what was comming from.
Scooby just re-made an old design I had for a Black Lance carrier. That design was from a time where we thought to go with the WC4 timeline.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
So, a Saga-standard Jalkethi or Saltha weren't made? If they were, could you check if you have some of those laying around?

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Downloaded this and started playing it the other day. The presentation (menus, cutscenes etc.) is VERY well done. The first mission, however, sets you across from a navpoint which is 200,000(?) meters away I believe. Is there something wrong with my game or is it really that far? Am I supposed to spend 5+ minutes straight holding tab down, or am I missing something?
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes, you're missing something. That you have a WC-style autopilot.  :)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
So, a Saga-standard Jalkethi or Saltha weren't made? If they were, could you check if you have some of those laying around?

I sent Deathsnake a model dump which dates back to 2004. It included all these fighters and more.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

wasnt the FSO autopilot code developed for or stolen from WCS?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

The autopilot in Saga is scripted in FRED-.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That's where it comes from, though it's not in the best shape right now. A fully FREDed AP seems like a better choice.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I've so far seen pilots named scooby-doo, karajorma and goober (who promptly died the moment he appeared)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site

I sent Deathsnake a model dump which dates back to 2004. It included all these fighters and more.

Yes, a lot of the models I used for Enigma 2666, Last Line of Defence and Operation Serpent. Some others are from the Standoff Team. But I hope now, after I see a lot of things in the Code and other stuff that aren't in the Prologue, I found someone who take over the models into Saga Final. I looked on the Gothri for example and its the same model from the prologue. Scooby just made a new texture for it. We can do the same to the other fighters. Only on the capships and stations we need the new turrets, hangarbays and stuff. A few fighters (Broadsword) needs a complete new model to fit with the Rapier, Ferret and Sabre ;) Epee and Crossbow are already made by Scooby. Just need another gray on the background texture ;)

But perhaps we should discuss this after the Team is Release the Fred Editor ;)
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline CKid

I've so far seen pilots named scooby-doo, karajorma and goober (who promptly died the moment he appeared)

Two others that I have seen is IceFire and Vidmaster. IceFire goes down but I don't remember seeing Vid die. (He was in only one mission)
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Vash

Heey, i've been lurking around this board since forever, found hardlight production forums thanks to the babylon project years ago and then found this one. Been playing for a few days now and i'm really having fun. i love the story driven way of the game with all the cutscenes and chatter between pilots. Thanks to the team for making something really worth waiting for.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/03/26/2033215/wing-commander-darkest-dawn-fan-made-goodness-reborn

You guys made slashdot. :)

Someone might want to take the opportunity to plug the FS community as a whole.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:56:29 pm by Swantz »
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz