Author Topic: Macross Delta  (Read 5469 times)

Also, the new season of Macross has breakdance fighting VF-fighters and weaponized tactical Idol teams now.

I would in fact have boyish giggling if some form of Idol combat made an appearance in WoD. Even as flavor text.

Also, the new season of Macross has breakdance fighting VF-fighters and weaponized tactical Idol teams now.

Macross 7 did it first.

Personally, I'd like to see WoD be its own thing, rather than copy other series for the sake of copying them.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Well of course, but it's pretty clear which parts of anime WoD is mining so to speak. :P

Offline -Norbert-

I would in fact have boyish giggling if some form of Idol combat made an appearance in WoD. Even as flavor text.

Please no...

Granted at episode 5 Macross Delta does pick up far enough to at least be enjoyable on occasion, but the first four episodes were just painful to trudge through. If I didn't love Macross Frontier so much, I'd have dropped Delta before finishing the first ep. Seriously, who's "genious" idea was it to turn Macross into a partial magical-girl series? :banghead:

Shoji Kawamori, the guy who's been in charge of Macross from the very beginning.

It's not like this is new for the franchise. As stated previously, Macross 7. Also the weirder parts of Macross Zero. And frankly, the antics of Walkure aren't very far off from the stuff Sheryl and Ranka pulled in their concerts anyway.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:35:03 pm by Dark Hunter »
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs

Back in 94 I screamed. In 2016 I head desked when 94 was smashed in my face.

If I'm not physically smacking my face, then it's isn't Macross.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline -Norbert-

Shoji Kawamori, the guy who's been in charge of Macross from the very beginning.

It's not like this is new for the franchise. As stated previously, Macross 7. Also the weirder parts of Macross Zero. And frankly, the antics of Walkure aren't very far off from the stuff Sheryl and Ranka pulled in their concerts anyway.

Really? I didn't see anyone from Macross 7 or Frontier literally fly around and controll shield-bits with their voices to block off weapon's fire.
Screw jetpacks! Rockets integrated into mini-skirts are the norm now! (nope, not joking... they have that).

It's one thing to have holographic overlays simulating different clothing in a concert with holo-emitters all over the hall, but quite another to have that in the middle of battle and the above-mentioned telekinetic-like bull****. Thankfully they pretty much stopped using those platforms for the last couple of episodes.

Starting from Ep 5 Delta is quite enjoyable at least (still a far-shot from Frontier though), but the first 4 episodes were just god-aweful. If I didn't love Frontier so much, I'd never have manged to trudge though the first four Delta episodes... at my second attempt.

Oh I guess I forgot to mention one thing: I love Macross Frontier the series. The movies in my opinion are terrible and just take a huge dump on the series. The ending... is beyond sucking and the concerts in the movies are more like drug induced hallucinations than anything remotely possible through just holographic images. :nono: And the new songs that the movies added are far inferior to the awesome soundtrack of the series itself. I so love Northern Cross, Lion, Diamond Creavasse, Eien, What 'bout my Star (the Fromo version anyway), Transformation and Triangler.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 04:11:48 pm by -Norbert- »

Well, if that's your opinion, that's your opinion.

All I'm saying is that this stuff hasn't been pulled out of nowhere: it's a progression of themes and technology we've seen previously in the franchise. I was a bit mad at Delta too at first, then I took a harder look at what the franchise has done in the past, and all of it makes in-universe sense. With that in mind, I've decided to roll with it and enjoy it.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a Wings of Dawn discussion thread, not a Macross Delta critique. Apparently this is a Macross Delta thread now. Carry on.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:01:10 pm by Dark Hunter »

I... just like jets! Especially jets that turn into robots.

Way better than robots that turn into jets.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
I... just like jets! Especially jets that turn into robots.

Way better than robots that turn into jets.

Cirvans better have ships that turn into robots, turn into jets, and turn into kitchen sinks.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
... and turn into kitchen sinks.

Citation please :p
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Anyway, this is supposed to be a Wings of Dawn discussion thread, not a Macross Delta critique.

You could make a Macross Delta thread if there isnt one.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
You could make a Macross Delta thread if there isnt one.
I'll make one out of this last page.

I like Macross and all that, but this hasn't been really relevant to WoD guys. So feel free to continue this in general discussion.
(And seeing new posts and only to see they aren't at all about WoD is demotivating)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

MESSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well, if that's your opinion, that's your opinion.

All I'm saying is that this stuff hasn't been pulled out of nowhere: it's a progression of themes and technology we've seen previously in the franchise.

Bits are from an entirely different franchise, in case you've forgotten.

Like, I hate to be That Asshole, but Macross, the first Macross, came at its genre with a subversive edge and reality ensues. It made its name because it was The Anti-Gundam, because it zigged where Gundam would have zagged, because it dealt with the consequences where Gundam brushed them off, because it was written to be sympathetic where Gundam was dogmatic. The reason we have a Macross franchise is because it did these things.

Macross Plus remembered that.

The rest of the franchise has been moving away from it at ever-increasing speed. Delta is just the furthest and most red-shifted example of this phenomenon, the Macross that wants most obviously to be one of the less-serious Gundam series. Macross is in no way a continuation of themes from, well, Macross now.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Okay, you have me on themes. I believe I used that word incorrectly in my previous post. And I will admit that the shift in tone in Macross towards something less serious is something I don't approve of necessarily.

I just don't see a reason to hate on it for it is all. I still enjoy the series, even if a little less than I would have otherwise. I don't see it as trying to be a "less serious Gundam" as you put it, though. I see it as being modern Macross.

Bits are from an entirely different franchise, in case you've forgotten.

I actually wasn't thinking of Gundam at all. Rather, I don't have a problem believing the tech level in Macross has increased to the point that they can build bit-like weapons. They have long had AI-assisted fighter control and drone weapons (the Ghost series of unmanned fighters), so building a drone with pin-point barriers and hologram projectors slaved to the Walkure's... I guess you'd call them a stage crew for lack of a better term, and controlled via hand motions doesn't seem like a huge stretch to me. Further, ever since Song Energy was introduced to the franchise we've known it can provide power, so having them being powered by the Walkure (who were all chosen specifically for their Song Energy generation potential) again doesn't seem like a stretch to me.

To be clear, I don't think the Walkure themselves are responsible for coordinating the light show and holograms projected at their performances/battles, any more than a modern performer directly controls the stage lighting and other special effects at a concert. I think a support crew back on their mothership is doing that. The Walkure can, however, pre-empt control over the "bits" when it's necessary to use them as shields or platforms. That's my take on it from what I've seen thus far.

...and the concerts in the movies are more like drug induced hallucinations than anything remotely possible through just holographic images. :nono:

And Sharon Apple's concerts from Macross Plus weren't?

MESSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!

Meh. Dude wasn't all that likeable anyway.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:24:54 pm by Dark Hunter »

No he wasn't, but in the last few episodes he was starting to soften up a little. Still, a plot device til the end.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Yea...I don't get the show anymore. Macross, the original, was a space opera that dealt realistically with the consequences of war and took a look at what might happen when bio-weapons grew into their own species.

Then we had Macross: DYRL, really good animation, similar storyline...

Then M2 at least tried to continue some sort of realistic thing?

M7 got really weird.

M+ was awesome! Realistic, a human story. An exploration of three (four?) people, haunted by their pasts and forced to confront them again.

M0 was...well, it tried. It was neat for like maybe 35-50% of the time, the rest of it was preachy and annoying.

Then Macross Frontier took M7 and got weirder.

Now this?

It just seems like with every iteration they're doubling down on the "music as a weapon", forgetting the whole "culture shock" aspect of it (which would be interesting to explore today with how we deal with other radically different cultures) and is becoming more and more like a cartoon that's meant to sell toys and pander to young boys.

Which, I mean...it probably always has been, but at least at the beginning it felt like there was depth. What is it now but a technicolor light show with cool fighter jets?

EDIT: Also there's this: http://www.animemaru.com/harmony-gold-to-adapt-macross-delta-as-robotech-spin-off/

Robotech: Songstress Squad. Also, apparently they aquired the M0 and Frontier rights, if this article is to be believed.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Are you serious? Those slimy mother****ers...really?

GAH
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

EDIT: Also there's this: http://www.animemaru.com/harmony-gold-to-adapt-macross-delta-as-robotech-spin-off/

Robotech: Songstress Squad. Also, apparently they aquired the M0 and Frontier rights, if this article is to be believed.

That's fake. Anime Maru is the Onion of anime news, ie, they're satire.

The only news I've heard about Delta getting any kind of overseas availability is that the Japanese Blu-rays have English subs. So, importation is possible, though then you have to deal with Japan's disc prices.