Author Topic: Orion!  (Read 32117 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
definitely not the most flattering shot there
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
That ship definitly needs a new texture job - the current one utterly reduces the intricary of the model.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
A new texture job would be nice.. and Bob's Orion looks sweet as **** when you see all of it without anything covering it up... even though there isn't any textures. Anyway, Strat, I'm looking forward to the completion... did you set all the turrets right? Because there's that one missing on her chin...
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I'm not a fan of Bob's Deimos or Orion.

The high poly Fenris, Faustus, etc. look nice. But the problem is instead of modelling the 'texture details' (despite the textures being tiled) instead they had to be totally revamped.

Oh well.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Kie99

My reskin looks better than before though

Original \/
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
sorry to say, but your reskin looks like a turd.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
:rolleyes:

Little crude, but I'd have to agree and say I prefer the original.  I don't think you can really reskin stuff by just texture swapping nowadays, unless you redraw textures to fit the existing UV.

Like, for example, the badly stretched lights on the orion; at some points a single light stretches 100s of metres across the surface, because the old UV is different from what you'd need for the new texture.

Offline Zarax

Err... Am i the only one that got the impression the proportions are different?
It looks at least 20% larger than the original to me...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
That's not a problem, FreeSpace is known about its big sizes. ;)
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Your reskin does indeed look like...something unbecoming of a star ship.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org

Offline Kie99

:thepimp:   It looks a helluva lot better in FSO than in FS/ModelView.

Instead of hi-jacking this thread though could you please just :bump: the thread announcing the models' release.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Darnit, no one is going to touch the debris, are they :rolleyes:.  I really can't get it released in a week anyway, but my plan was to finalize size and orientation when I get back to school and release it immediately thereafter.

And I've got the original in the scene with the new Orion, the proportions all match up almost exactly.  I had to move the turrets by maybe 10 meters in any direction to get them to line up properly on one part or another of the new hull.  I even calculated the size so it would line up in MAX, but apparently there was a small rounding error somewhere that was amplified to those 100 meters.  My intention is to have the thing within a fighter-length of the original.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Well, Strat, tell me how to cut it up, and I'll cut it up.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Cool stuff, StratComm. I've been dying to fly alongside this model in-game since the first WIP screenshots. :D

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Stratcomm, do you also intend to add the missing radar antennae to the model?
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Will you provide a link to where the model is so people can atleast atempt to cleave it up?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I can't upload it any more than I can edit it right now.  It's the same Orion that Bob released as a hull-only WIP a while ago, cleave up that.  And I've added back the radar dishes :nod:
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Thanks a million!! :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.