Author Topic: OpenGL problems with Fedora Core 6.  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
OpenGL problems with Fedora Core 6.
First of all, the game works perfectly under Windows XP Professional on the same box.

I'm getting this error message when I try to run a recent build on Fedora Core 6:
Code: [Select]
[Thomas@9 ~]$ ./Games/FreeSpace2/fs2_open_r
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
ERROR: "A minimum texture size of "1024x1024" is required for FS2_Open but only "512x512" was found.  Can not continue." at graphics/gropengltexture.cpp:543

The build is fairly recent, sent to me by someone on this forum (I forget who. Sorry!) It's built from HEAD, but I'm sure I'd get the same problem on a 3.6.9 build, as it seems to be related to my graphics card (which has been fighting a war with FRED2_Open on Windows, but that's another story.)

Any help?

IBM Thinkpad T30
P4 2.20Ghz
768 MB RAM (256 + 512)
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
Dual 40 GB HDDs (Windows XP Pro + Fedora Core 6 (2.6.19-1.2895.fc6))
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: OpenGL problems with Fedora Core 6.
Do you have ATI's drivers installed, or are you just using what is installed by default?

What's installed by default may not be good enough, especially considering the age of that video card.  I'm not sure if ATI's closed-source drivers support that card but it's probably the first thing to try.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Do you have ATI's drivers installed, or are you just using what is installed by default?

What's installed by default may not be good enough, especially considering the age of that video card.  I'm not sure if ATI's closed-source drivers support that card but it's probably the first thing to try.

Just downloaded them, rebooting now.

EDIT: New Error Message:
Code: [Select]
[Thomas@localhost ~]$ ./Games/FreeSpace2/fs2_open_r
ERROR: "The required OpenGL extension '��' is not supported by your current driver version or graphics card." at graphics/gropenglextension.cpp:394
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 11:22:12 pm by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Hi,

I just solved this problem, so I wanted to share my experience.

I was having the following error on compiling FS2_Open 3.6.9 from CVS:

ERROR: "A minimum texture size of "1024x1024" is required for FS2_Open but only "512x512" was found.  Can not continue." at graphics/gropengltexture.cpp:543

I am using Ubuntu 7.4 Feisty Fawn, with X.org 7.2

Initially, I thought the problem must be due to AIGLX being enabled in Feisty by default, but after searching through a myriad of forums, I found a reference to a program called driconf, obtainable at http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriConf, or through your friendly neighborhood apt source. Download the program, and run it. It is written in python, so you shouldn't have to compile anything. After running it, go to Image Quality tab. Scroll most of the way down, and change the "Support Larger Textures not Guaranteed to Fit into Graphics Memory" option to "Announce Hardware Limits". Go figure.

Restart X. Run FS2_Open. It should work.

I am not sure if this option is dangerous (could enable textures too big for your card to handle, overfilling your memory and making your computer explode ;-) ) So use at your own risk.

Hope this helps. I know I spent a long time pounding my head against this, and came to the solution quite by accident, so some other n00bs like me are certain to appreciate it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 02:37:44 pm by drashkeev »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Ah, didn't realize that driconf had that option.  Good to hear that it's fixed for you now though. :)

And you don't need to worry about the texture size limit bump.  Your card should be able to do 2048x2048 easy, so the limit was just on the driver side and not an issue with your hardware.