Hosted Projects - FS2 Required > Series Resurrecta

[Split] Interpersonal affairs

<< < (2/10) > >>

Novachen:
I would be surprised, that anyone here on HLP is apologizing, or that someone would accept an apology in the first place  :D
As my impression is, that everyone seems to be for themselves :o

Mito [PL]:
Just FYI, Phantom Hoover did recently contribute a lot to the SCP project in general. Not only the aforementioned glide/thrust issues, but also notably for me, he currently basically leads the investigation into game performance degrading over mission replays. It is extremely unfair to call him not contributing.

In fact, it is risky and unfair to assume any member of the community is "not contributing", as you have no way of knowing whether the member in question is not working on a project, assisting other community members or even just providing feedback without mentioning that publicly.

Also, should we really make an opinion less valued just because they don't contribute? The viewpoint of an outsider might be important to consider too.

I personally decided to just comment this in an encouraging fashion and wait with my personal opinion until the awards are fully disclosed.

Mobius:

--- Quote from: MitoPL on December 14, 2020, 05:00:51 am ---wait with my personal opinion until the awards are fully disclosed.

--- End quote ---

Positions 101+ are frozen and pretty much settle what's been said in the other thread, regardless of the final ranking of Crossfire (the 2015 Freelancer mod that ranks 1st in the Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi genre). If anything I'd personally be even happier if Crossfire ended up in the Top 10 after the second contest which, as I said at least two times, is now restricted to Top 100 mods and doesn't change any of the statements which have been already verified by ModDB's administrationship.

Now, if you are somehow saying we are making stuff up and are hereby waiting for "verification", it's your problem.  :rolleyes:

Mito [PL]:
I am not. I have merely suggested that I am withholding publicly commenting on the result itself until it's been officially disclosed (which is reasonable to say that it has been, in case of Series Resurrecta).
For one, that's because I'm not necessarily personally invested into the project, therefore I'm not anticipating the results with extreme fascination, but that's a "me" thing. I understand the feelings you have towards the project and its reception, that you absolutely need reassurance that your creation is done well and  That's why I have a couple more reasons.

For two, given the nature of the announcement and quite low amount of interest in the genre (thus: scarce competition), I imagined that such an event might happen and I refrained from preemptively accepting and commenting on any results to not fuel the flames of uncivilised discussion.

Three, I am of a general belief that such awards are a contest of popularity, not quality. Therefore I have decided that if I wanted to check whether the mod is worthy of awards, I would simply download and play it. Popular vote means nothing more than a suggestion to me.

Four, I wanted to have a full picture of what this mod has competed with and also how did these stack up against each other, not only a dry three digit number. I have decided that I won't waste time to sit there and be anxious about how it all turns out, and instead I will just browse through the category this mod was submitted in once everything is revealed. Also, a much, much important number for me would be exactly how many votes it got.

And ultimately, I absolutely disagree with general battuta and phantom hoover in terms of their approach to your happiness of recognition by a wider audience and self-realisation. While I find publishing such results preemptively... a tad distasteful, I am quite disgusted by the attacks you (and presumably - your team) were experiencing in that topic. Robbing your happiness.

Mobius:

--- Quote from: MitoPL on December 14, 2020, 09:59:46 am ---I am not. I have merely suggested that I am withholding publicly commenting on the result itself until it's been officially disclosed (which is reasonable to say that it has been, in case of Series Resurrecta).
For one, that's because I'm not necessarily personally invested into the project, therefore I'm not anticipating the results with extreme fascination, but that's a "me" thing. I understand the feelings you have towards the project and its reception, that you absolutely need reassurance that your creation is done well and  That's why I have a couple more reasons.
--- End quote ---

It is unlikely that more details on rankings will be revealed; I've been in touch with ModDB's founder and he states that detailed statistics are no longer shown to the public, though they were however shown during past editions of MotYA. They provided the info because we requested it and claimed they were fine with public pimping, but other than this, we are unlikely to get some "expanded scoreboard" or similar stuff. Once again, it's not my problem if people don't trust the SerRes Team and debate over the genuineness of these claims - I think ModDB's founder should be considered a quite reliable source. Let's not forget that he has also approved the news article showing the exact same content as the one shown on the other thread.

--- Quote from: MitoPL on December 14, 2020, 09:59:46 am ---Three, I am of a general belief that such awards are a contest of popularity, not quality. Therefore I have decided that if I wanted to check whether the mod is worthy of awards, I would simply download and play it. Popular vote means nothing more than a suggestion to me.

--- End quote ---

If you say so I assume you haven't read one of my comments on the other thread; this is not about "being the best FreeSpace campaign ever" but doing a great job on a platform where FreeSpace doesn't get the pimping it deserves and, despite the odds and the overwhelming competition, still coming out with outstanding results. MotYA is a MoDB contest, not a HLP contest, and I believe everyone here is smart enough to understand the difference. If you've come here to underline the nature of similar contests and claim that they don't point to absolute quality, you're not adding anything tangible and meaningful to this discussion.

If you don't have a ModDB account for your mod, it can't be voted. If you don't update it frequently enough to keep the fans' attention on it constant, it will not get that many votes. The nature of the contest is intrinsically tied to the effort required to maintain an active ModDB profile. Again, ModDB. There's no independent committee analyzing all mods of all games, so don't expect some stranger to come on HLP and get a full list of all campaigns because he has to play through them all and "choose a winner". It's up to the people, the fans, to vote for whatever mod they want and it turns out SerRes was the most voted Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi mod released in 2020.

See, under normal circumstances, this news would get the opposite feedback it got. We have promoted FreeSpace modding in a context other than HLP, so the standard drill wouldn't normally match the absurdities we have seen in these two threads. I honestly believe the community's support for SerRes and other recently developed campaigns is far more genuine than what we've read over here. We have seen overreactions from several community members because they injected "interpersonal affairs" into the equation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version